30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vlad Drkulec

24 80.00%
  • Sasha Starr

6 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7A. "The Voting Booth" Election of President

Default 7A. "The Voting Booth" Election of President

Nominations for President: Vladimir Drkulec and Sasha Starr are nominated.

Dear Voting Members!
    As you know, CFC is in a mess, Membership is going down, and I'm trying really hard to help it.
    Here are the issues:
    1.decrease of the membership;
    2.absence of sponsorship and inability of current leader to raise funds for chess and CFC;
    3.absence of plan for raising funds for any of the programs;
    4.lack of tournaments with IM and GM norms to nurture the talent;
    5.no partnerships or collaboration with other federations, even with the neighboring USCF.
    We can build together the vibrant and prosperous organization.
    I've offered my help, and if elected, will bring quickly all required resources to start improving things.
    CFC is due for a change, the status quo is no longer acceptable. Please help CFC, please help the future of Canadian chess, please help yourselves!
    Last edited by Sasha Starr; 07-09-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    Dear Voting Members!
    As you know, CFC is in a mess, Membership is going down, and I'm trying really hard to help it.
    Membership was up slightly actually though there were more juniors and fewer adults.

Here are the issues:
    1.decrease of the membership;
    2.absence of sponsorship and inability of current leader to raise funds for chess and CFC;
    We have had more sponsorship this year than we have had in the last few and probably more than we have had since I returned to chess in 2007.

While I won't take credit for the excellent efforts of Ottawa and Montreal in organizing CYCC's and the parents and kids for attending these tournaments but it would seem to me that on my watch we have had the largest amount of money raised for junior chess ever. We gave some of that money back at WYCC 2013 and at NAYCC 2014.

There are agreements in place with the FQE and the CMA which help us fund our programs. If you can read the balance sheet and income statement you would know that the CFC's finances are quite healthy.

3.absence of plan for raising funds for any of the programs;
    Perhaps you would like to run for the fundraising position since you have interest and abilities in this area.

4.lack of tournaments with IM and GM norms to nurture the talent;
    I'm really glad you mentioned that. In an exciting new development we will be partnering up with FIDE for a series of eight GM/IM norm tournaments over the next four years.

5.no partnerships or collaboration with other federations, even with the neighboring USCF.
    I have held several discussions with Ruth Haring via Skype, telephone and instant messaging. We have agreed to collaborate on ways that we can work together and she has put us in contact with some of her colleagues at the USCF. Its just that when I have to deal with all the fires that you, the Kasparov FIDE campaign and its local agents have been trying to start it gets hard to find time to do anything else.

We can build together the vibrant and prosperous organization.
    Yes we can.

I've offered my help, and if elected, will bring quickly all required resources to start improving things.
    I didn't wait until I was elected president in order to start working towards improving things at the CFC.

CFC is due for a change, the status quo is no longer acceptable. Please help CFC, please help the future of Canadian chess, please help yourselves!
    Exactly. We have to help ourselves. We don't have to wait for some white knight to come and save us. We just have to be more disciplined and teach a kid how to play chess.

Where is the Abstain button?

Blog Entries

I guess you abstain by simply not voting - but I would like to see this option available in any forum vote.

Because of the postings of both Vlad and Sasha during this AGM and on Chesstalk over the FIDE election, I will not vote for either. Their postings only served to cover us all in mud. I want the President to have a better sense of decorum than that.

Whoever wins, I will work with in full cooperation and in a positive spirit, but some form of rebuke is needed here.

CFC motions have always been 3 choices - YES NO and ABSTAIN. There are some more complicated decisions with more options but this is the norm.

CFC elections have always had 1 choice per candidate - there's never been an 'abstain' choice in elections.

Bob Armstrong (who asked in another thread - he has access here as he's got moderator status here but this is probably going to be wrapping up fairly soon as he's leaving the assembly) has asked how many eligible voters there are. For now the number is 49 with no response yet received from NS and NL who are entitled to one each. Included in the 49 are Messrs Farges, Fleming and Thomas who are Life Governors but have chosen not to have Forum accounts. Finally there's Robert Sasata who is nominated for SK's slot but since he didn't seek the spot till after the nomination deadline we are waiting till tomorrow before declaring him appointed to the Assembly. It's a legally fuzzy situation since the Assembly DOES have the right to select a VM where there's no active affiliate during the meeting and the President thereafter ... but this is after the nomination deadline so the President's ruling is that (a) other SK candidates have the right to be nominated and (b) if no one else in nominated any VM has the right to protest this procedure. If it's unanimous consent there's no good reason not to re-open nominations to allow his nomination. Obviously it would have been much simpler had he come forward before the close of nominations!

Default Voting Members with Accounts for this AGM

Hi Lyle:

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. It allows us to get a better handle on the percentage of voting members with accounts who showed. It is also too bad that some voting members saw fit not to open an account and participate......all opinions have value, and help the debate.

And yes, I should now be removed as a moderator of the forum.....I am now retired!!

Bob A

It is still not clear to me whether Messrs Thomas and Fleming have Internet access. Farges definitely does but wrote me an e-mail roughly 2 years ago saying he was not planning on taking part for now. He does seem active in the local poker circuit. There were several rounds of e-mail between us that week with much of it dealing with the joys of owning and running a small to medium size business. (Like anything else it has its ups and downs!)

Much as I'd prefer 100% participation it seems there are some who don't participate and this is NOT limited to the Life Governors (many of whom continue to take part in Assembly affairs and several who are anything but retired).

Blog Entries

The rebuke is noted Garland and I will look forward to working with you. I could have been more presidential and exhibited more decorum but the net result would have been to vacate the field of battle and allow the Kasparov people to win the information war and make no mistake that is exactly what we had on our hands in this campaign. Hal Bond and Frank Lee and most of the executive are suited for playing the good cop and I tried to play that role for a period of time but at some point when you see that good cop/good cop works out as well as the skit on Saturday Night Live you realize you have to vary your approach. I am a bit baffled by the irrational Canadian Kasparov campaign from top to bottom. I prefer to deal in logic and facts. Kasparov and his campaign tried hurt the CFC. I don't think they succeeded. In the process they hurt themselves. I see my chesstalk comments postered on the FIDE campaign site. I am quite okay with that though it is not something that I intentionally pursued. They have used this approach in many countries and I suspect it has been as successful elsewhere as it was in Canada.

I have received a significant volume of supportive email from concerned parents, players, organizers and friends who are involved in chess politics and those who are no longer involved. To all who sent or spoke out to give their support I offer my sincere thanks. I look forward to working with you all to bring this game that we all love to is rightful place of prominence. I am told that we received two letters at the CFC office criticizing our decision. One came from Denmark and one came from a CFC member.

I hope that everyone will find a way to move on. We have all given this divisive and distracting fight way more attention than it deserves. We need to move on and turn our attention to the things that actually move chess forward. I am not going to fight this battle again. Much as some people would like there will be no best 4 out of 7 in this case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast