Thread: 4F. Youth Coordinator's Report

Default 4F. Youth Coordinator's Report

The Canadian kids at 2014 NAYCC in Tarrytown, NY earlier this summer had a fun and successful tournament. You can still visit their Facebook site at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...30077317126743

Congratulations the thirteen (13) players who made trips to the podium to collect hardware and titles (for 1st to 3rd place).

Julia Kuleshova - 1st place - U8 Girls
    Mysha Gilani - 2nd place - U8 Girls
    Nameer Issani - 2nd place – U8 Open
    Aahil Noorali – 3rd place – U8 Open
    Nicholas Vettese – 2nd place – U10 Open
    Kevin Low - 5th place – U10 Open
    Kylie Tan – 1st place – U10 Girls
    Lily Zhou – 3rd place – U12 Girls
    Richard Chen - 3rd place - U14 Open
    Kevin Wan – 5th place - U14 Open
    John Doknjas – 3rd place - U16 Open
    FM Jason Cao – 5th place - U18 Open
    Qiyu Zhou – 2nd place – U18 Girls

I would like thank Victoria Doknjas, Aris Marghetis, and all the other parent volunteers for their time and commitment in making this an enjoyable and productive tournament for the kids (and hopefully the parents). Youth chess cannot thrive without the support and hard work of these dedicated volunteers.

We have three (3) players participating in the 25th Pan American Youth Chess Festival taking place from July 10 to 17 in the Vacation Center Club Dorados in Oaxtepec, Morelos, Mexico (about an hour drive from Mexico City airport). I wish I was going – only if I could play chess. Club Dorados looks beautiful with nice outdoor swimming pools, spas, etc. Go here to check out yourself - http://www.clubdorados.com.mx I hope the players and parents take the time to experience some the resort amenities. Let’s all wish Tanraj Sohal, Joey Zhong, and Janet Peng the best on a successful tournament. I hope they return home and safe and sound carrying some shining hardware.

My expectations are high for this year’s CYCC held in Montreal from July 15 to 18. Felix and the Quebec Chess Federation have done an outstanding job organising the tournament. It is in the middle of summer festival season in Montreal with the tournament hall in the prestigious Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel’s Grand Salon. The organisers have not only selected magnificent city to host the event and esteemed venue to hold the tournament - they have over 300 youths registered for this year’s CYCC.

I also would like to thank all the volunteers and organisers of this year’s CYCC qualifying tournaments from across the country. Your selfless devotion and hard work has got a long way in promoting chess in Canada’s youth. I am hopeful that all your efforts will spark a lifelong passion for the game of chess in some of these kids.

I have written a letter to players and their parents who are registered for the CYCC explaining timing issue with registering for the WYCC. You can find this letter on the CYCC website - http://echecsmontreal.ca/cycc/letter_cycc.pdf

The intent of this action is to register all the players and parents who want to go to the WYCC without incurring any late fees and still be able to determine the Official Players as per the CFC Handbook. The plan is register most of the players near the end of the CYCC and the Official Players the day after the CYCC. I do not want to overwhelm the CFC Office by trying to register every player and parent on the July 19th.

We have a new youth tournament this year. North American Junior (U20) Chess Championship in Kitchener from July 30 to August 4, 2014 as part of the Kitchener Chess Festival. Currently we have two players interested in participating in this new event. I hope this becomes an annual event as part of the Kitchener Chess Festival. It would be nice to have more international FIDE tournaments for your youth in Canada. You can check this event here - http://www.chessfest.ca/najunior.html
    Last edited by Frank Lee; 07-08-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Blog Entries

Victoria Doknjas the able head of delegation reports the following players also placed:

Note that the U8 Open and U8 Girls sections were merged as there were less than nine U8 Girls. The results online show one big U8 Open section, but individual awards for U8 Open and U8 Girls were given.

Note: Only the kids who scored 1st, 2nd, or 3rd won FIDE titles. We had 3 Canadian players who won just a trophy because they won 5th place in their respective sections (Jason Cao - U18 Open, Kevin Wan - U14 Open, and Kevin Low - U10 Open).

So in total 13 Canadian Players won trophies (hit the podium) and of the 13, ten of them also win FIDE titles.

Dear Frank, thank you for report!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
    The Canadian kids at 2014 NAYCC in Tarrytown, NY earlier this summer had a fun and successful tournament. You can still visit their Facebook site at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...30077317126743

Congratulations the thirteen (13) players who made trips to the podium to collect hardware and titles (for 1st to 3rd place).

Nameer Issani - 2nd place – U8 Open
    Aahil Noorali – 3rd place – U8 Open
    Nicholas Vettese – 2nd place – U10 Open
    Kevin Low - 5th place – U10 Open
    Kylie Tan – 1st place – U10 Girls
    Lily Zhou – 3rd place – U12 Girls
    Kevin Wan – 5th place - U14 Open
    John Doknjas – 3rd place - U16 Open
    FM Jason Cao – 5th place - U18 Open
    Qiyu Zhou – 2nd place – U18 Girls

I would like thank Victoria Doknjas, Aris Marghetis, and all the other parent volunteers for their time and commitment in making this an enjoyable and productive tournament for the kids (and hopefully the parents). Youth chess cannot thrive without the support and hard work of these dedicated volunteers.
    Could you please present financial report as well?
    How much CFC spent on NAYCC?

We have three (3) players participating in the 25th Pan American Youth Chess Festival taking place from July 10 to 17 in the Vacation Center Club Dorados in Oaxtepec, Morelos, Mexico (about an hour drive from Mexico City airport). I wish I was going – only if I could play chess. Club Dorados looks beautiful with nice outdoor swimming pools, spas, etc. Go here to check out yourself - http://www.clubdorados.com.mx I hope the players and parents take the time to experience some the resort amenities. Let’s all wish Tanraj Sohal, Joey Zhong, and Janet Peng the best on a successful tournament. I hope they return home and safe and sound carrying some shining hardware.
    Don't you find it disturbing that these three players miss CYCC due to dates conflict?
    Could we avoid such problems in the future?

My expectations are high for this year’s CYCC held in Montreal from July 15 to 18. Felix and the Quebec Chess Federation have done an outstanding job organising the tournament. It is in the middle of summer festival season in Montreal with the tournament hall in the prestigious Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel’s Grand Salon. The organisers have not only selected magnificent city to host the event and esteemed venue to hold the tournament - they have over 300 youths registered for this year’s CYCC.

I also would like to thank all the volunteers and organisers of this year’s CYCC qualifying tournaments from across the country. Your selfless devotion and hard work has got a long way in promoting chess in Canada’s youth. I am hopeful that all your efforts will spark a lifelong passion for the game of chess in some of these kids.
    Could you please provide some financial details?
    How much CFC collected from this year’s CYCC qualifying tournaments from across the country?
    How much expected from CYCC in Montreal?
    Are you planning to cover full transportation costs to WYCC for Canadian Champions?

I have written a letter to players and their parents who are registered for the CYCC explaining timing issue with registering for the WYCC. You can find this letter on the CYCC website - http://echecsmontreal.ca/cycc/letter_cycc.pdf

The intent of this action is to register all the players and parents who want to go to the WYCC without incurring any late fees and still be able to determine the Official Players as per the CFC Handbook. The plan is register most of the players near the end of the CYCC and the Official Players the day after the CYCC. I do not want to overwhelm the CFC Office by trying to register every player and parent on the July 19th.
    Thank you for writing a letter to players and their parents!
    Unfortunately, from this letter it's not clear:
    Who, when and how will select official Canadian players for WYCC?
    Could you please clarify that?

We have a new youth tournament this year. North American Junior (U20) Chess Championship in Kitchener from July 30 to August 4, 2014 as part of the Kitchener Chess Festival. Currently we have two players interested in participating in this new event. I hope this becomes an annual event as part of the Kitchener Chess Festival. It would be nice to have more international FIDE tournaments for your youth in Canada. You can check this event here - http://www.chessfest.ca/najunior.html
    Do we expect foreign participants at this event?
    Could you please publish pre-registered list?
    Last edited by Michael Barron; 07-08-2014 at 11:39 PM.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Dear Frank, thank you for report!

Could you please present financial report as well?
    How much CFC spent on NAYCC?
    It was on the order of $4000.

Don't you find it disturbing that these three players miss CYCC due to dates conflict?
    Pan Am dates were changed twice after the dates for Montreal CYCC were set. As I recall the Montreal CYCC was changed to move away from Pan Ams originally. The Pan Am people even changed the dates after people bought tickets which really shouldn't be allowed.

Could we avoid such problems in the future?
    Probably not. The Easter option is not good. Numbers were down significantly at OYCC on the Easter weekend. Pan Ams were moved to conflict with CYCC and not vice versa.

Could you please provide some financial details?
    How much CFC collected from this year’s CYCC qualifying tournaments from across the country?
    That information should be in the footnotes to the financials at least to last year end.

How much expected from CYCC in Montreal?
    Over $45,000.
    Are you planning to cover full transportation costs to WYCC for Canadian Champions?
    There seems to be enough support among the current directors for that to happen. If we have a new board it will be up to them.
    And also Harmony Zhu if she attends CYCC.

Thank you for writing a letter to players and their parents!
    Unfortunately, from this letter it's not clear:
    Who, when and how will select official Canadian players for WYCC?
    They will self select before and at CYCC.

Could you please clarify that?
    Top finisher in CYCC that wants to go. There is a very short time frame to decide and send in the names. Some kids parents are sending in I will only go if I finish first and that is acceptable but it does not exempt them from the requirements for pictures and passports.

Do we expect foreign participants at this event?
    Canadian citizens or permanent residents or others who have been in Canada for one year is the rule that was in force.

Hopefully but you are better asking Hal than Frank.

Could you please publish pre-registered list?
    Patrick usually publishes it when the event is closer.

Thank you, Vlad, for your response!

Don't you think that a person, who wants to be elected to a public office, should be able to provide a report of his work and answer related questions himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    It was on the order of $4000.
    We would like to see a detailed financial NAYCC report:
    who exactly was paid and how much?

That information should be in the footnotes to the financials at least to last year end.
    Sorry, Vlad, I can't find it.

Could you please clarify:
    What footnote exactly?

Canadian citizens or permanent residents or others who have been in Canada for one year is the rule that was in force.
    Are you talking about North American Junior?
    Where we can find this rule?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Thank you, Vlad, for your response!
    We would like to see a detailed financial NAYCC report:
    who exactly was paid and how much? [/QUOTE]

The following was the budget and I have added items that I am aware of. It is not a final accounting but I would be surprised if the final accounting varied much from the $4300 though given the receipts I have seen they may have changed the budget to keep the total under $4000. It is difficult to find all of the relevant emails without doing some digging. It should be in the next quarterly financial report for the quarter ending July 31st which we should see in August at some point.

1. 60 Team Canada Polo Shirts = $1,447.52 CDN
    2. Internet charges at hotel = $40.00 CDN
    3. $300 Special bursaries for players* (Allison Tsypin, Cindy Qiua, and Joanne Foote) = $900 CDN
    4. Costs for Team Awards/NY souvenirs for players = $1,512.48 CDN
    5. Aris Marghetis $300 assistant head of delegation
    ESTIMATED TOTAL COSTS = $4,300 CDN

Sorry, Vlad, I can't find it.
    I will ask Bob for a more detailed accounting of the youth fund similar to the one he did in the past. It will be made public on the governors forum and probably the CFC forums. I doubt that it will be done before the end of this meeting.

Could you please clarify:
    What footnote exactly?
    Footnote 3 though on examining it some math would be required to deduce the YCC fees. We will do a more detailed report probably after CYCC.

Are you talking about North American Junior?
    Where we can find this rule?
    Not the North American Junior. I thought there may have been references to CYCC but that may be lack of sleep. There is no rule for North American Junior. It is a new tournament.

Thank you, Vlad, for taking time to respond!
    I appreciate it, but really don't want to deprive you from sleep.
    My questions were directed to Youth Coordinator, and expectation was that he will participate at the Meeting.
    It's not too late to show up...

The following was the budget and I have added items that I am aware of. It is not a final accounting but I would be surprised if the final accounting varied much from the $4300 though given the receipts I have seen they may have changed the budget to keep the total under $4000. It is difficult to find all of the relevant emails without doing some digging. It should be in the next quarterly financial report for the quarter ending July 31st which we should see in August at some point.

1. 60 Team Canada Polo Shirts = $1,447.52 CDN
    2. Internet charges at hotel = $40.00 CDN
    3. $300 Special bursaries for players* (Allison Tsypin, Cindy Qiua, and Joanne Foote) = $900 CDN
    4. Costs for Team Awards/NY souvenirs for players = $1,512.48 CDN
    5. Aris Marghetis $300 assistant head of delegation
    ESTIMATED TOTAL COSTS = $4,300 CDN
    Yes, it was the budget, and gives some idea how funds were spent.
    But NAYCC was finished almost a month ago. Isn't it sufficient time to prepare detailed financial report? It's just a few lines.
    We would expect financial report to be ready during a week after a tournament finish - just like rating report.

I will ask Bob for a more detailed accounting of the youth fund similar to the one he did in the past. It will be made public on the governors forum and probably the CFC forums. I doubt that it will be done before the end of this meeting.
    Hopefully, such detailed accounting of the youth fund could be prepared on a regular basis and posted on the first day of every quarterly meeting.

Not the North American Junior. I thought there may have been references to CYCC but that may be lack of sleep. There is no rule for North American Junior. It is a new tournament.
    My question was about North American Junior.
    Yes, it' s a new tournament, and we should know how a preparation is going.
    Did we send invitations to other Federations?
    Did we get any responses?
    How many players are expected?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron