Thread: 4F. Youth Coordinator's Report

Threaded View

Default 4F. Youth Coordinator's Report

The Canadian kids at 2014 NAYCC in Tarrytown, NY earlier this summer had a fun and successful tournament. You can still visit their Facebook site at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...30077317126743

Congratulations the thirteen (13) players who made trips to the podium to collect hardware and titles (for 1st to 3rd place).

Julia Kuleshova - 1st place - U8 Girls
    Mysha Gilani - 2nd place - U8 Girls
    Nameer Issani - 2nd place – U8 Open
    Aahil Noorali – 3rd place – U8 Open
    Nicholas Vettese – 2nd place – U10 Open
    Kevin Low - 5th place – U10 Open
    Kylie Tan – 1st place – U10 Girls
    Lily Zhou – 3rd place – U12 Girls
    Richard Chen - 3rd place - U14 Open
    Kevin Wan – 5th place - U14 Open
    John Doknjas – 3rd place - U16 Open
    FM Jason Cao – 5th place - U18 Open
    Qiyu Zhou – 2nd place – U18 Girls

I would like thank Victoria Doknjas, Aris Marghetis, and all the other parent volunteers for their time and commitment in making this an enjoyable and productive tournament for the kids (and hopefully the parents). Youth chess cannot thrive without the support and hard work of these dedicated volunteers.

We have three (3) players participating in the 25th Pan American Youth Chess Festival taking place from July 10 to 17 in the Vacation Center Club Dorados in Oaxtepec, Morelos, Mexico (about an hour drive from Mexico City airport). I wish I was going – only if I could play chess. Club Dorados looks beautiful with nice outdoor swimming pools, spas, etc. Go here to check out yourself - http://www.clubdorados.com.mx I hope the players and parents take the time to experience some the resort amenities. Let’s all wish Tanraj Sohal, Joey Zhong, and Janet Peng the best on a successful tournament. I hope they return home and safe and sound carrying some shining hardware.

My expectations are high for this year’s CYCC held in Montreal from July 15 to 18. Felix and the Quebec Chess Federation have done an outstanding job organising the tournament. It is in the middle of summer festival season in Montreal with the tournament hall in the prestigious Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel’s Grand Salon. The organisers have not only selected magnificent city to host the event and esteemed venue to hold the tournament - they have over 300 youths registered for this year’s CYCC.

I also would like to thank all the volunteers and organisers of this year’s CYCC qualifying tournaments from across the country. Your selfless devotion and hard work has got a long way in promoting chess in Canada’s youth. I am hopeful that all your efforts will spark a lifelong passion for the game of chess in some of these kids.

I have written a letter to players and their parents who are registered for the CYCC explaining timing issue with registering for the WYCC. You can find this letter on the CYCC website - http://echecsmontreal.ca/cycc/letter_cycc.pdf

The intent of this action is to register all the players and parents who want to go to the WYCC without incurring any late fees and still be able to determine the Official Players as per the CFC Handbook. The plan is register most of the players near the end of the CYCC and the Official Players the day after the CYCC. I do not want to overwhelm the CFC Office by trying to register every player and parent on the July 19th.

We have a new youth tournament this year. North American Junior (U20) Chess Championship in Kitchener from July 30 to August 4, 2014 as part of the Kitchener Chess Festival. Currently we have two players interested in participating in this new event. I hope this becomes an annual event as part of the Kitchener Chess Festival. It would be nice to have more international FIDE tournaments for your youth in Canada. You can check this event here - http://www.chessfest.ca/najunior.html
    Last edited by Frank Lee; 07-08-2014 at 07:08 PM.