Thread: Class A voting members motion

Default Class A voting members motion

The following motion is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Class A voting members motion
    In any year the number of class A voting members eligible per province or territory will be one class A member for the first fifty or part thereof of class B members in said province or territory as of April 30 of the immediately proceeding fiscal year, and one additional class A member for each subsequent fifty or part thereof.

Class A members will be nominated by provincial or territorial affiliated associations. All persons nominated must be class B members in good standing, must be a Canadian Citizen or a permanent resident in Canada, and must be 18 years of age or over to qualify.
    Currently, class B members can vote at the provincial AGM, With this new proposed motion, they would loose this right. The current wording would enable a provincial affiliate board of directors to nominate class A voting members without consulting the CFC class B members on their territory. It is the kind of motion that could lead to a class action against the CFC by all the current class B members.

It does not take away that right. Class B members make up the provincial associations.

How would you word it?

Blog Entries

How about:

Class A members will be nominated by provincial or territorial affiliated associations, from elections held there by the Class B members.

This is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    How about:

Class A members will be nominated by provincial or territorial affiliated associations, from elections held there by the Class B members.

It may work. Fred, you can ask for an ammendment to my motion if you wish.

I'm a little concerned though about these "elections". AFAIK the provincial associations do not run formal elections, with notices to all of the related members. Usually it's a show of hands at some meeting that many members can't even attend.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    It may work. Fred, you can ask for an ammendment to my motion if you wish.

I'm a little concerned though about these "elections". AFAIK the provincial associations do not run formal elections, with notices to all of the related members. Usually it's a show of hands at some meeting that many members can't even attend.
    In some cases it is much worse than that. Perhaps we should require online voting and meetings to ensure an open and transparent process.