Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10C - New Business - For Discussion Only - FIDE Elections - August 2014

Default CFC Vote - 2018 FIDE Presidency

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    I was at the 2010 meeting and I remember agreeing to defer to the executive (for that year). My view was that I had not followed the FIDE issue sufficiently to cast a knowledgeable vote. I would probably do the same today despite having read numerous contradictory messages on the issue.
    I know this issue has been settled for 2014. But.......

I haven't looked, but I wonder if the 2010 Minutes show that the Governors felt the decision was theirs, but for various reasons "delegated" it to the Executive, on a one time-only basis? This would be precedent that the governors controlled this matter.

I'm not sure, however, if this will at all be relevant in 2018, under continuance.

But would it be good to get a volunteer to do a short work-up on who has control of a key administrative decision, like the vote for FIDE President (if it is that - arguably it is policy, because you vote for a Candidate's policies)? Then there would not be disagreement in the heat of the moment over who has control.

Bob Armstrong

P.S. And sorry, but I'm not volunteering. I'm just an idea guy!

Sorry twice...didn't realize I was in the incoming voting members' AGM (where I'm not supposed to post). If the chair wishes, I'll delete it and move it to the Members' Chess Chat Forum.
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 07-11-2014 at 11:24 AM.

I don't think there is any harm done. It is not as if you are casting a vote!

(For those not in the know Bob has moderator status (and thus posting status here). With his leaving the Assembly it's unclear if that will continue but no we haven't had a security breech. Now as Secretary I'm NOT the chair here - just the moderator who does the admin stuff that let's el Presidente run the meeting - though during the polling period he usually defers to my recommendations to avoid any accusations of unfairness)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    I was at the 2010 meeting and I remember agreeing to defer to the executive (for that year). My view was that I had not followed the FIDE issue sufficiently to cast a knowledgeable vote. I would probably do the same today despite having read numerous contradictory messages on the issue.
    Paul, could you, or any other 2010' Governor, tell me, please, what, if anything, was offered to the CFC by any or both candidates?

Sasha Starr.

Well, so far no reply. I'll try my luck on the Chess Talk.

I was on the board in 2010 and I was not privy to any such offerings.

I dunno - for someone who's supposedly 'on the take' I seem not to be doing so well!

If that's the only reason you think people cast votes as they do then I feel for you - I mostly just concentrate on trying to do what's right for chess and making things better for all of us. If that's a 'hidden agenda' I'll plead guilty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12