Thread: 10A. New Business

Blog Entries

Default 10A. New Business

Post new business including discussion of youth committee here.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 07-06-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Default CFC Youth Committee

The CFC Youth Committee is chaired by the CFC Youth Coordinator and consists of chess organizers, coaches and parents interested in developing junior chess in Canada.
    The Committee serves as an advisory board for the Youth Coordinator and a pool of volunteers willing to discuss and act on various issues surrounding junior chess.

In 2009-2011 we had an active Youth Committee, which achieved the following:
    prepared current WYCC qualification rules, approved by the Assembly of Governors in 2011;
    implemented current qualification system for CYCC, which helped to grow CYCC participation;
    organized CYCC 2011 - the best organized CYCC ever.

Unfortunately, last year the Youth Coordinator was unable to form Youth Committee - as he said, due to lack of volunteers.
    As a result, he had serious problems with WYCC 2013, NAYCC 2014, and now - with WYCC 2014.

On the other side, several parents attended Annual Meeting of Greater Toronto Chess League and expressed their willingness to volunteer for the CFC Youth Committee.
    On behalf of Greater Toronto Chess League I nominate the following parents for the CFC Youth Committee:
    Xuekun Xing,
    Connie Zhou, and
    Jane Zhong.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    The CFC Youth Committee is chaired by the CFC Youth Coordinator and consists of chess organizers, coaches and parents interested in developing junior chess in Canada.
    The Committee serves as an advisory board for the Youth Coordinator and a pool of volunteers willing to discuss and act on various issues surrounding junior chess.

In 2009-2011 we had an active Youth Committee, which achieved the following:
    prepared current WYCC qualification rules, approved by the Assembly of Governors in 2011;
    implemented current qualification system for CYCC, which helped to grow CYCC participation;
    organized CYCC 2011 - the best organized CYCC ever.

Unfortunately, last year the Youth Coordinator was unable to form Youth Committee - as he said, due to lack of volunteers.
    As a result, he had serious problems with WYCC 2013, NAYCC 2014, and now - with WYCC 2014.

On the other side, several parents attended Annual Meeting of Greater Toronto Chess League and expressed their willingness to volunteer for the CFC Youth Committee.
    On behalf of Greater Toronto Chess League I nominate the following parents for the CFC Youth Committee:
    Xuekun Xing,
    Connie Zhou, and
    Jane Zhong.
    And we accept all three of them pending email notification of myself and Frank Lee by the other two that they wish to serve.

Blog Entries

I would think it would be great if the Youth Committee (as an Ad-Hoc Committee, there is no set number of members) could take some of the load off of the Executive Director and Youth Co-ordinator when it is time to try and contact potential players for NAYCC, Pan-Ams and WYCC.

Blog Entries

I've been in the past a member of this committee and I am willing to be a member again. We need in it people from all across the country, not only Ontario.
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

It would be nice if a youth committee could represent all of the regions of Canada, if possible.

I would go further than Ken - it would not merely be nice but essential that this committee have national representation and was surprised to see that the first nominees were all Toronto based.

That's not a constitutional requirement but as a practical matter isn't it pretty much essential?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    I would go further than Ken - it would not merely be nice but essential that this committee have national representation and was surprised to see that the first nominees were all Toronto based.

That's not a constitutional requirement but as a practical matter isn't it pretty much essential?
    In the past this Committee's work concentrated on CYCC / WYCC etc. If that is still the case, some provinces aren't overly involved (yet).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post

We have talked with people across the country. Those who were previously involved have universally said that they do not think that the previous committee was effective and that includes the people from the Toronto area that were on it. Well,... aside from Mr. Barron who thought that everything was peachy. He was the problem.