Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.2 Tournament and Rating Regulations (Leblanc / Armstrong)

Default 5.2 Tournament and Rating Regulations (Leblanc / Armstrong)

Be it resolved Handbook paragraphs 418 and 433 will be amended as follows:

OLD

418. Dropouts. If a player does not advise the director that he has withdrawn from a tournament and subsequently loses a game by default, that game is treated like a game actually played and is rated, except when both opponents fail to appear for the game. A defaulting player must not be paired for subsequent round unless he is reinstated at his request.

433. Report. Rating reports should include the name and CFC number of all players. Address changes should be noted on the membership - not the rating - report.
    It is not necessary to submit a record of the moves of a game in any rated event. We only need to know the results.

It is not necessary to redraw the crosstable in order of finish. Please use consecutive pairing numbers, starting at 1. Avoid for example, pairing numbers such as 22A.

Games marked F or D (for Forfeit or Default) will not be rated (rule 418) unless they are also marked R (for Rated).

Forms are available free of charge for reporting all events, and memberships collected.

An event will not normally be rated if the report is received more than three months after its end. A report should be submitted within one week of the end of an event.

NEW

418. Late Arrival Forfeits and Undeclared Dropouts. If a player either forfeits a game by arriving late or does not advise the TD that he/she has withdrawn from a tournament and subsequently loses a game by default, that game is treated like a game actually played and is rated. If the TD deems that circumstances beyond the individual’s control prevented the defaulting player from attending, that player may be awarded a zero point bye or half point bye at the TDs discretion. A game is not rated when both opponents fail to appear for the game. A defaulting player will not normally be paired for subsequent rounds unless prior arrangements are made with the TD.

433. Report. Rating reports should include the name and CFC number of all players. Address changes should be noted on the membership - not the rating - report.
    It is not necessary to submit a record of the moves of a game in any rated event. We only need to know the results.

“Games marked F or D (for Forfeit or Default) will not be rated (rule 418) unless they are also marked R (for Rated).” Remove this sentence

It is not necessary to redraw the crosstable in order of finish. Please use consecutive pairing numbers, starting at 1. Avoid for example, pairing numbers such as 22A.

Forms are available free of charge for reporting all events, and memberships collected.

An event will not normally be rated if the report is received more than three months after its end. A report should be submitted within one week of the end of an event.

It was brought to my attention by a TD that articles 418 and 433 had some ambiguity regarding whether a forfeited game is to be rated. The new articles clarify that yes, forfeits are to be rated but also give the TD leeway in the case where there are "circumstances beyond the individual's control".
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Lyle, I suppose there will be a vote on this amendment to the Handbook? It appears to me that there is no opposition.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    Lyle, I suppose there will be a vote on this amendment to the Handbook? It appears to me that there is no opposition.
    I don't disagree with the concept and incentive, but just for reference, FIDE does not rate forfeit games. How important is consistency?

Default Rating Forfeits - Made in Canada Policy

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I don't disagree with the concept and incentive, but just for reference, FIDE does not rate forfeit games. How important is consistency?
    Hi Aris:

Neither does USCF rate forfeits, as far as I know.

Paul and I discussed, with others, the different policy we wanted Canada to follow.

One factor that loomed somewhat large was the desire of Canadian chess clubs to have forfeits rated. We had been finding an increasing number of "no-notice" forfeits, meaning that some club member, who wants to play, had a wasted evening. And he got no compensation. And the culprit was in no way penalized. And we find that many of the same people are repeat offenders. No penalty, no compliance with club etiquette.

So losing rating points for a forfeit will make the culprits sit up and take notice. And it is some modest compensation that the one with the wasted evening, gets at least a few rating points.

Some have argued this warps the rating system. I think the extent of it in the whole pool is minimal. Also, if the offended player gets undeserved rating points, s/he will likely donate them back into the pool in short order.

Maybe Paul will have something to add.

Bob A (Motion Seconder)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Aris:

Neither does USCF rate forfeits, as far as I know.

Paul and I discussed, with others, the different policy we wanted Canada to follow.

One factor that loomed somewhat large was the desire of Canadian chess clubs to have forfeits rated. We had been finding an increasing number of "no-notice" forfeits, meaning that some club member, who wants to play, had a wasted evening. And he got no compensation. And the culprit was in no way penalized. And we find that many of the same people are repeat offenders. No penalty, no compliance with club etiquette.

So losing rating points for a forfeit will make the culprits sit up and take notice. And it is some modest compensation that the one with the wasted evening, gets at least a few rating points.

Some have argued this warps the rating system. I think the extent of it in the whole pool is minimal. Also, if the offended player gets undeserved rating points, s/he will likely donate them back into the pool in short order.

Maybe Paul will have something to add.

Bob A (Motion Seconder)
    Hi Bob, sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I LIKE the idea, but I'm just pointing out the inconsistency. I just came back from the World Open, and there were multiple instances where we would have preferred that both the USCF and FIDE also rated forfeits.

Blog Entries

I don't think as a penalty it really is at all effective. After all, if they deserve those points (ie they are accurately rated) they will get them back. And it doesn't seem to be much of a deterrence.

The old CFC rules used to allow for $5 or $10 fees to be applied in some cases I think? Not sure how well that would work.

Perhaps coming up with some way of tracking repeat offenders, and if someone is officially labeled as a repeat offender, TDs are allowed to charge them a "forfeit deposit" of $25 or $50 which is split between organizers and the opponent if they forfeit again, otherwise returned after no forfeits during the event.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

The rating points aren't an effective penalty to the offender, but certainly they are at least some consolation for the loser.

Those running FIDE events will have ot be prepared to make detailed noted regarding forfeits, that the Office will need t omodify for the FIDE rating report.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I think consistency with the laws of chess is important.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I think consistency with the laws of chess is important.
    I suspect the % of games forfeited in FIDE events is much lower than club, city, or regional events

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast