Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1. Agenda and Opening Comments by the Chair

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    Dear Lyle,
    Please include in the Agenda discussion of the Canada's position regarding vote for FIDE's President.
    Sasha Starr.
    I second this request.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

As a point of order, I will be travelling June 11 to a cottage in Newfoundland, where I will not have access to emails or the internet until the 20th. Given the situation, is there a way for me to make my votes by the 10th, in order to be counted? Thank you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Sorry, Vlad, but that's not true...

This item was submitted the same day as you published the Agenda - June 15.
    Please see: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...4989#post24989

Please include this item in the Agenda.
    No. I have already said that I would accept all three of them for the committee if they email me and Frank. One has done so. You didn't even write it in the form of a motion. As usual you are too lazy to do the work required. This is just your way of having some kind of test of wills for whatever reason. If you want to have an election then feel free to create a proposal/motion for the next meeting but it may have to be a constitutional amendment that will require two thirds support depending on what it is exactly that you are proposing. It may even require gaining support of the non-voting members again depending on what exactly you are proposing. I don't know because you have not outlined what you want with this.

You assume I read the forum after I already sent out the notices after you sat on this for how many weeks? We have been bending the rules by making member proposals into directors proposals. Even those have to get out within the 21 day requirement.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cd-dgc....g/cs05006.html

Member Proposals
    Generally, the directors are responsible for setting the agenda of members meetings. However, members have a right to add items to the agenda by submitting a notice – known as a “proposal” – to the corporation 90 to 150 days before the anniversary of the previous annual meeting of members. In this regard, any member entitled to vote at an annual meeting of members may submit a proposal to the corporation about any matter that the member wishes to raise at the Footnote 4 This includes the right of a voting member to submit a proposal to make, amend or repeal by-laws.

If a proposal includes nominations for the election of directors, the NFP Act states that the proposal must be signed by at least 5% of the members entitled to vote at the annual meeting. However, the Act also permits the corporation to use its by-laws to lower this percentage (for example “at least 2%”), but not to raise it.

With few exceptions, the corporation is required to include the proposal in the notice of meeting that is sent to the members.Footnote 5 If requested by the member who submits a proposal, the corporation is required to include in the notice of meeting a statement by the member in support of the proposal and the name and address of the member. The regulations provide that the statement and proposal shall not exceed 500 words in total.

The member who submitted the proposal is required to pay any cost of including the proposal and statement in the notice of meeting unless it is otherwise provided in the by-laws or in an ordinary resolution of the members present at the meeting.

It should be noted that directors are not obliged to include the proposal if:

the submission of the proposal does not meet the requirements above; or
    the proposal is improper, in that:
    it is intended to enforce a personal claim or redress a personal grievance against the corporation, or its directors, officers, members or debt obligation holders;
    it does not relate in a significant way to the activities or affairs of the corporation;
    not more than 2 years before the receipt of the proposal, the member failed to raise the matter covered by the proposal at a meeting of members;
    it is substantially the same as a proposal previously submitted to members less than 5 years ago and it did not receive the minimum required support at that meetingFootnote 6; or
    the rights to submit proposals are being abused to secure publicity.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 07-07-2014 at 02:40 AM.

OK as requested a thread has been opened under 10C - New Business for discussion relating to the FIDE Congress in Tromso and the election to be held there.

Please take further discussion on this topic there.

I was just writing this message on the VP thread, and when I tried to post it hit me that the thread was closed. I kindly ask to move this post to the right thread.

This is my first time running for a position in the executive. I have been a governor for a number of years now. I work as a chess coach, and so I have first hand knowledge of the issues surrounding youth tournaments, and coaching. I hope to bring my communication skills, new ideas, and my experience as coach and (semi)professional chess player to contribute to growth of chess in Canada. I also believe in transparency with the governors and the cfc members. I think communication is very important, and a lot of recent quarrels could be avoided. Regarding the recent decision on the FIDE vote, I believe that the matter should have been resolved by the governors, and not the executive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
    I was just writing this message on the VP thread, and when I tried to post it hit me that the thread was closed. I kindly ask to move this post to the right thread.

This is my first time running for a position in the executive. I have been a governor for a number of years now. I work as a chess coach, and so I have first hand knowledge of the issues surrounding youth tournaments, and coaching. I hope to bring my communication skills, new ideas, and my experience as coach and (semi)professional chess player to contribute to growth of chess in Canada. I also believe in transparency with the governors and the cfc members. I think communication is very important, and a lot of recent quarrels could be avoided. Regarding the recent decision on the FIDE vote, I believe that the matter should have been resolved by the governors, and not the executive.
    Why are all the threads closed?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Done - see item 6.5
    Dear Lyle, when do you think the President's election will start?
    Are there the opening statements, discussion period, etc.?
    Thank you.

Please refer to both the first posting in this thread and to Item number 1A Report on nominations and elections for details.

I have just finished opening the last "Voting Booth" for the 3 contested positions (President, Vice-President and Junior Coordinator) and voting continues through 1800 ET Friday July 11th

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Please refer to both the first posting in this thread and to Item number 1A Report on nominations and elections for details.

I have just finished opening the last "Voting Booth" for the 3 contested positions (President, Vice-President and Junior Coordinator) and voting continues through 1800 ET Friday July 11th
    Thank you very much, Lyle, and my apologies for previous postings in the wrong threads. I'm just trying to figure out what is the right place for my posts regarding the issue of the 7th Director.
    Please explain, because I can't post in the appropriate place.

Please ignore this post. I misunderstood the voting times.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast