Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1. Agenda and Opening Comments by the Chair

Default 1. Agenda and Opening Comments by the Chair

Chess Federation of Canada - Annual General Meeting
    - Incoming Voting Members - 6 - 13 July 2014

1. Agenda and Opening Comments by the Chair

(Note to voting members: all votes open at 9pm ET, all votes and nominations close at 6pm ET, the meeting ends at 10pm ET on July 13th)

Part 1 - Agenda and Sign-in

1. Agenda & Opening Comments of Chair
    2. voting member Sign-in

Part 2 - Election of voting members from Non-Affiliated Provinces / Territories

3. Election of voting members from Non-Affiliated Provinces/Territories (nominations close on day 3, if elections are required this will take place on days 4-5)

3A. YT
    3B. QC - Ratification of FQE nominees for CFC voting member (if no objections are posted to any FQE nomination these will be acclaimed at the end of the nomination period)

4. Nomination of Candidates for Election (nominations close at 6pm ET July 8 - day 3, elections continue through 6pm ET July 11 - day 6)
    4.1 President
    4.2 Vice-President
    4.3 Secretary
    4.4 Treasurer
    4.5 Youth Coordinator
    4.6 FIDE Representative
    4.7 Women Coordinator
    4.8 Rating Auditor
    4.9 Publicity Officer
    4.10 Fund Raising Officer
    4.11 Tournament Coordinator

5.A Elections of the above positions
    5.B Election of Directors and Officers

6. Appointment of CFC Committee members: (nominations close at 6pm ET June 22 - day 3, elections for contested positions continue through 6pm ET July 12 - day 7)

* 6.1 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees - Four year term:

6.2 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees - One year term:

* 6.3 Kalev Pugi Fund Committee:

* 6.4 National Appeals Committee:

7. Election of CFC Committee members (see sections 4.1 - 4.11 - in sections 4.1 - 6.4 all positions where an election is being held is marked with *)

The above items are now closed - please refer to meeting announcements for details

8. Appointment of Auditors - discussion
    Voting on all items excluding voting members, Executive and Officers will begin on day 4 (June 26) and continue to the end of the meeting (June 30)

Part 3 - Bids for Events

9. Bids for 2014/2015 Events

9A 2015 Canadian Open

9B 2015 CYCC
    Windsor bid

9C Any other Bids/Business:
    - 9C1 Next Canadian Junior
    - 9C2 Next Canadian Women's Closed

Part 4 - Other Business

10. Other Business

10A. New Agenda Item for discussion only. (From Paul Leblanc, CFC Rating Auditor)

CFC/FIDE/USCF/FQE Rating Gaps. Many CFC players have more than one rating. It is not uncommon for a CFC member's other rating to be more current and hence more accurate than their CFC rating. This issue was brought forward to me by John Coleman who observed that many of the juniors in the Windsor area play more USCF games than CFC games and because they are improving rapidly, their CFC rating is significantly lower than their USCF rating.
    I would like to know if there is any support for an amendment to the Handbook to allow a CFC member to request that their rating be adjusted to match their FIDE/USCF/FQE rating? There would be, I imagine a specified differential (200 points?), a need to establish that the other rating is more "current" and a fee ($25?). The process would have to be worked out but before I go any further on this I'd like to hear if there is general support for the concept before I consider whether to table a motion at a future meeting.*

10.B. New Agenda Item for discussion only. CFC Youth Committee

11. Bids for National Championships 2014/15 and onward

12. Adjournment & Closing Comments by Chair
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 07-08-2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: highlighting of election times

Blog Entries

Default Opening Remarks by Chair

I would like to welcome the voting members to the first meeting of the incoming voting members (formerly called governors) under the CFC which has transitioned into the new Canada Not For Profit Act. We have to choose the leadership and officers of the CFC for the coming year in the various voting threads. We also have a discussion of what to do with the situation when there are rating gaps between FQE, CFC, FIDE and USCF ratings usually in instances where players play more in a non-CFC rating system.

Bob Gillanders has been settling into the CFC office as the new Executive Director and has already shown a very steady hand in his handling of several issues which have come up. I am going to enjoy working with him. The big news this year was the sucessful transition to the new NFP act. After a successful CYCC and Canadian Open in Ottawa in 2013 we will have an even larger CYCC and combined Canadian Open / Quebec Open in Montreal this year. I am hoping to see many of you at one or both of these events.

At WYCC in the United Arab Emirates we had the fortune of seeing a new Canadian world champion in Harmony Zhou from Toronto. We were delighted to see Harmony's interview at the World Youth. We hope this is just the first of many championships for young Harmony.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 07-06-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Dear Lyle,
    Please include in the Agenda "Appointment of CFC Youth Committee members" item.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Done - see item 6.5

Is there only one bid for the 2015 CYCC? I thought I had seen somewhere on Chesstalk that a few cities were interested. I also imagine that no one has expressed interest for the 2015 Canadian Open?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Done - see item 6.5
    This item was submitted after the statutory date for notice. I have ruled it out of order. I have removed it from the agenda and made it a discussion item under new business.

I refer to the following provisions of the NFP act as my reasons for denying this agenda item. Mr. Barron waited until after notice had gone out to the members to bring this item into the agenda which is contrary to the NFP act.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cd-dgc....g/cs05006.html

Notice of Meetings of Members
    Notices of meetings of members must be provided in accordance with the by-laws to the following persons:

each member entitled to vote;
    each director; and
    the public accountant of the corporation.
    Members who are entitled to receive notice are those who appear in the members register on a certain date called the “record date.” The directors may fix, by resolution, a record date that is not more than 60 days and not less than 21 days before the meeting. If the directors do not take this action, then the NFP Act provides that the record date is the close of business on the day immediately preceding the day on which notice is given or, if no notice is given, the day on which the meeting is Footnote 2

The provisions of the by-laws that deal with the giving of notice must comply with the regulations under the NFP Act. The regulations provide minimum and maximum notice periods for meetings and require that the by-laws specify one or more of the following means of giving notice:

by mail, courier or personal delivery to each member entitled to vote at the meeting during a period of 21 to 60 days before the meeting;
    by telephonic, electronic or other communication facility to each member entitled to vote at the meeting during a period of 21 to 35 days before the meeting;
    by affixing the notice, no later than 30 days before the meeting, to a notice board where information about the corporation’s activities is regularly posted in a location that is frequented by the members; and
    if the corporation has more than 250 members, by publication using one of the following two means:
    at least once in each of the three weeks immediately before the meeting is to be held in one or more newspapers circulated in the municipalities in which the majority of the members reside as shown by their addresses in the register of members; or
    at least once in a publication of the corporation that is sent to all its members, during the period of 21 to 60 days before the day on which the meeting is to be held.
    If the provisions of the by-laws do not comply with the above requirements, or if no method is provided for in the by-laws, the notice must be mailed or personally delivered to the members 21 to 60 days before the day on which the meeting is to be Footnote 3
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 07-06-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Blog Entries

No one has yet indicated an interest in the Canadian Open. Windsor will be submitting a bid for CYCC I have been told. I expect that the bid will be available at this meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    This item was submitted after the statutory date for notice. I have ruled it out of order. Please remove it from the agenda.
    As per your direction, done - LC

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    This item was submitted after the statutory date for notice.
    Sorry, Vlad, but that's not true...

This item was submitted the same day as you published the Agenda - June 15.
    Please see: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...4989#post24989

Please include this item in the Agenda.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Dear Lyle,
    Please include in the Agenda discussion of the Canada's position regarding vote for FIDE's President.
    Sasha Starr.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast