Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.1 Appointment of Class A Voting Members (Garland Best)

Default 5.1 Appointment of Class A Voting Members (Garland Best)

(If I do not receive a seconder by the start of the meeting I will second this motion for discussion purposes)

In any year the number of class A voting members eligible per province or territory will be one class A member for the first fifty or part thereof of class B members in said province or territory as of April 30 of the immediately proceeding fiscal year, and one additional class A member for each subsequent fifty or part thereof.

Class A members will be nominated by provincial or territorial affiliated associations. All persons nominated must be class B members in good standing, must be a Canadian Citizen or a permanent resident in Canada, and must be 18 years of age or over to qualify.

The Directors as elected or acclaimed at the Annual General Meeting or otherwise shall be considered Class A members.

The Executive Director, full-time employees of the Chess Federation of Canada, and any part-time employees who receive a substantial fraction of their income from such employment are ineligible for Class A membership.

All those nominated for Class A membership shall be granted class A membership effective at the convening of the incoming assembly of the annual meeting of the Chess Federation of Canada. Class A membership lasts for approximately one year until the commencement of the incoming Assembly at the annual meeting in the following year.

Where a provincial or territorial association fails to nominate someone for class A membership, then the existing class A members may nominate some or all of that province's or territory's Class A members at the annual meeting, or may defer the decision to the President.

In addition the following persons are also granted class A membership provided said person also fufills the requirements for class B membership.

- the past Presidents of the Federation who have served as President for at least two full terms. A term is that period between one annual meeting and the next.

- the past Presidents of the Federation who have served as President for at least one full term in the immediately preceding five years.

- the chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Chess Foundation of Canada.

- the President of the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association.

- the reigning Canadian Closed Champion.

- the runner up at the Canadian Closed.

- the past Presidents granted the life title of Governor at Large as at September 1994.

Any class A member who has failed to maintain class B membership status shall have his/her voting privileges suspended. Once suspended, the member and related provincial association shall be notified and requested to bring his/her membership into good standing not later that 30 days from his/her expiration of membership. In the event that the membership is still not in good standing 30 days after suspension, the Class A voting membership will be revoked.

If at any time between annual meetings a person loses class A membership status, the membership remains unfilled until the next annual meeting.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 07-02-2014 at 03:45 PM.

So if I correctly understand the last sentence of the motion, a province whose VM loses their status is NOT able to replace him/her - is that correct?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    So if I correctly understand the last sentence of the motion, a province whose VM loses their status is NOT able to replace him/her - is that correct?
    That is how it reads at the moment. It can be amended.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    It can be amended.
    What are current rules about amendments? HOW, WHEN, etc.
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    What are current rules about amendments? HOW, WHEN, etc.
    I'm curious to find out what they are.
    Last edited by Sasha Starr; 07-07-2014 at 10:57 AM. Reason: would like to delete it

As per the NFP act:

By-laws and Effective Date
    Subject to the articles, the board of directors may, by resolution, make, amend or repeal any by-laws that regulate the activities or affairs of the Corporation. Any such by-law, amendment or repeal shall be effective from the date of the resolution of directors until the next meeting of members where it may be confirmed, rejected or amended by the members by ordinary resolution. If the by-law, amendment or repeal is confirmed or confirmed as amended by the members it remains effective in the form in which it was confirmed. The by-law, amendment or repeal ceases to have effect if it is not submitted to the members at the next meeting of members or if it is rejected by the members at the meeting.

This section does not apply to a by-law that requires a special resolution of the members according to subsection 197(1) (fundamental change) of the Act because such by-law amendments or repeals are only effective when confirmed by members.

I recommend that all persons participating in the AGM review the following: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cd-dgc...g/cs05005.html

I suggest to remove "voting" from this motion what deals how a persons become a class A member. The "benefits" of the Class A Member are explained in the main act.

"Class A Members

Class A voting membership shall be available only to individuals who have applied and have been accepted for Class A voting membership in the Corporation.
    The term of membership of a Class A voting member shall be annual, subject to renewal in accordance with the policies of the Corporation.
    As set out in the articles, each Class A voting member is entitled to receive notice of, attend and vote at all meetings of members and each such Class A voting member shall be entitled to one (1) vote at such meetings."

"The Directors as elected or acclaimed at the Annual General Meeting or otherwise shall be considered Class A members."
    I suggest to add ", and must be Class B members during nominations". On other hand, this requirement might be written somewhere in the Directors' description.

As I read now only persons who are elected as Directors shall purchase Class B memberships.
    .*-1

I'm not sure about your last sentence but DEFINITELY it needs to be explicitly stated that both Governors and Executive (yes I know I'm using the old terms!) absolutely MUST be CFC members.

I think the language in the outgoing Handbook on this point is good and could easily be lifted for a new bylaw.

[Before any of you think the idea that a Governor or Executive Member being required to be a regular member (or honorary or life etc) is a complete no-brainer I would point out that in BC our provincial executive has been torn on this point (with most of the would be executive non-members being parents of juniors). Unfortunately we in BC do NOT have a clear consensus on this point]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    I'm not sure about your last sentence but DEFINITELY it needs to be explicitly stated that both Governors and Executive (yes I know I'm using the old terms!) absolutely MUST be CFC members.

I think the language in the outgoing Handbook on this point is good and could easily be lifted for a new bylaw.

[Before any of you think the idea that a Governor or Executive Member being required to be a regular member (or honorary or life etc) is a complete no-brainer I would point out that in BC our provincial executive has been torn on this point (with most of the would be executive non-members being parents of juniors). Unfortunately we in BC do NOT have a clear consensus on this point]
    I believe that it is explicitly stated in the bylaws that we passed with the governors approval of the transition to the new NFP act.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast