Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 5.1 Appointment of Class A Voting Members (Garland Best)

I Like Les. He is a capable person, and can give good legal advice. He did try to come up with a new NFP act for the CFC together with Gordon Ritchie. And if Haldor stopped being tournament director at the RA chess club I don't know what I would do. And I enjoy sharing a drink with him and discussing matters at the bar afterwards.

However I don't equate that to giving them permanent voting rights. We didn't give Jean Chretien a permanent seat in the house of commons even though he was elected Prime Minister 3 times straight.

I put this motion through as stated because I viewed it as the most likely to pass, and I felt that we had to start somewhere. However I do intend to move to ammend it eventually. I just don't intend to fight that battle today.

It now being 1800 ET on day 4, voting on this motion is now underway.

I note en passant that there was no seconder for the Zeromskis amendment, thus we are voting on the original unamended motion.

If he wishes to re-introduce this amendment at the October meeting that's his right.

My personal view is as stated above and I agree it would be a most substantive change - not minor at all.

Blog Entries

The special officers are still missing as being voting members in the motion being voted upon...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    The special officers are still missing as being voting members in the motion being voted upon...
    I would consider this to be an oversight. The Master's Rep, is a special case as they are not elected at the AGM.

OK then clearly we still have work to do on this file. I think I knew that but obviously we're not as far along as I had thought / hoped.

Blog Entries

Just a question because I know we ran into this when we were a Charity... but if someone under 18 years old wins or finishes 2nd in the Closed can they assume that Class A status under the NFP act?
    The previous answer was "no" but I'm curious if that has changed or not, since it's a new act and also no longer a Charity.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Just a question because I know we ran into this when we were a Charity... but if someone under 18 years old wins or finishes 2nd in the Closed can they assume that Class A status under the NFP act?
    The previous answer was "no" but I'm curious if that has changed or not, since it's a new act and also no longer a Charity.
    If we retain the 18 & older regulation for a Class A member, then I think we would simply pass over any players U18 from the Closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    If we retain the 18 & older regulation for a Class A member, then I think we would simply pass over any players U18 from the Closed.
    Hi Fred:

"pass over" = the Class A membership goes to the next eligible finisher in line?

Bob A

Blog Entries

I suppose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Well I was just curious. That was only added once we had a junior finish 2nd and then discovered he couldn't legally be a Governor.

Pretty sure it was Eric Lawson in 2004.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast