Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4. Reports (Executive members and Officers please post your reports here)

Default 4. Reports (Executive members and Officers please post your reports here)

This section is reserved for Executive members and Officers to post their reports.

You are encouraged to post in separate threads as labelled in the agenda, e.g. 4A President's report, 4E FIDE representative, 4J Chess Foundation of Canada etc.

Default FIDE Report to the 2014 AGM

I am standing for re-election as your FIDE Rep and I hope you will support me. This has been another eventful year for Canada and FIDE. For me the highlight was the World Championship title won by Harmony Zhu at the WYCC in Al Ain. Her interview with Aussie IA Jamie Kenmure was priceless!

Since the Executive Board meeting in Tallinn last October, the schedule has filled itself with all matters Olympiad and FIDE Election. I would like to take a moment to share a concern I have regarding our Olympic efforts.

We have too few people engaged in the Olympiad project and this must be corrected in the future. Ideally an Olympiad Committee should be struck to lighten the load on individuals. In absence of any volunteers this year I was handed the tasks of fundraising and co-ordinating the Olympic teams. Finding the time to do either task properly has been impossible. We are extremely fortunate to have a sponsor for our players this year – all of them will receive a stipend and some performance bonuses are prescribed. This means that we will have our strongest teams ever, but our fundraising for airfares remains ongoing. Ticket prices to Tromso are coming in at about $2000. That puts our fundraising goal at over $26,000.

I have been encouraged by some colleagues to disclose the amounts of money I receive from FIDE as an Arbiter. These stipends are published in the regulations of each event in question, and they vary roughly between $3,000 - $7,000. Since 2005 I have been appointed 11 times, including “Match Supervisor” for Topalov – Kamsky in 2009. Each appointment involves being away for 2-4 weeks, so I have to hire someone to teach my classes while I am gone.

The 2014 Candidates Tournament was the latest such appointment. It was a delightful experience as an Arbiter. The Presidential Board was convened during the last games of the tournament, so it was also fruitful as FIDE Rep. Speaking as an old dog, it was heartwarming to see Anand impose his “seniority” on the field! The rematch with Carlsen, now scheduled for Sochi in November, will mark the end of the reunification process for the title (somehow one extra match is needed to catch everything up). Henceforth the match for World Champion will proceed on a biennial basis.

Shortly after returning from Siberia I travelled to Botswana with the Development Commission. With this meeting the DC completed its mandate to hold annual meetings on each of the 4 FIDE “continents”. Despite the 16 hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg, I found the 5 day trip quite invigorating. Botswana reminds me of Canada in a few ways. It sits north of a bigger industrialized gun slinging country (South Africa) , further to the left politically, and generally more relaxed.

Our hosts welcomed us with open arms and by the time we were finished it was clear to me that Botswana has much to teach us!! Our Commission Secretary, Rupert Jones worked as a teacher in Botswana in the 80’s and 90’s and is the most responsible person for introducing chess into the Botswana classroom. Now many of his students are carrying the torch as adults. It is a marvellous legacy. Their Federation is tightly connected to the National Sports Council, chess in the schools and the local media. During our stay we were guests at the National Sporting Awards Ceremony – a very hot ticket and a highly professional show which was broadcast live on television. The Botswana Chess Federation was very much a part of the Ceremony – they were nominated in 3 categories and managed to win one (sports official of the year).

The first ever North American Junior will take place in Kitchener, Ontario from July 30 – August 4. Like the North American Youth Championships, this event will rotate between Canada, USA and Mexico. Players in the North American Junior will vie for a 9 game (W)GM norm, which comes with the (W)IM title if applicable. Up to 3 (W)IM titles will be awarded in the event of equal scores. If we have a clear winner, the silver and bronze finishers will receive an (W)IM norm and the (W)FM title if applicable.

Looking to the future, the most promising prospect for Canada is a bid for the 2017 World Cadet Championships (U8, U10, U12) which is being prepared by the FQE. Part of this strategy could include hosting the 2015 FIDE Congress in Montreal. I am working with FIDE and the FQE to help make these events happen. Fingers crossed!

FIDE Election:
    Once again the FIDE election has generated passionate interest and extensive debate. As your representative I will of course vote as instructed. Much discussion has occurred about the personalities involved. Here is a small (!) chart which highlights some steady performance by the incumbent administration. To view the chart just click in the image:

Attachment 262

Typically FIDE is profitable in even numbered years due to the Olympiad and the WCC Match. In 2010 and 2011 FIDE was absorbing the cost of a legal battle concerning the 2010 election. FIDE won the case but we all paid the price.

As I have said many times before, FIDE is far from perfect but it strives to improve continuously. This takes a collective effort and President Ilyumzhinov has fostered an inclusive environment for the work of FIDE to take place. I believe that the CFC is supporting the correct candidate.

Respectfully submitted
    Hal Bond
    FIDE Zone 2.2 President and Delegate
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 07-06-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: attempting to resize JPG

Default Rating Auditor Report

The rating system is in good shape with no signs of inflation or deflation. A few snapshots:
    Median rating top 100 players active in the past 36 months: 2344
    Five year range: 2335-2355

Average rating all players rated above 1200 active in the past 12 months: 1722
    Five year range: 1710-1750

Average rating all players rated above 1200 active in the past 36 months: 1704
    Five year range: 1615-1710

Average rating all players active in the past 12 months: 1376
    18 month range: 1340-1440
    note: this number rose significantly after the introduction of the bonus point system in 2012 and has now stabilized. It does, however include a significant number of very low rated beginners, many of whom play only a small number of events then drop out. I pay more attention to the >1200 groups when monitoring the system for equilibrium
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Default Chess Foundation of Canada

CHESS FOUNDATION OF CANADA
    2013/2014 TREASURER’S REPORT

1. The financial statement for the year ending 30 April 2014 follows.

2. Total equity after accounts payable is $286,310. This total includes the Pugi Memorial Fund of $20,504, $46,684 held in trust for the CFC and $5,507 held in trust for the Saskatchewan Chess Federation.

3. Income from investments was $1,172 higher than last year. This is partly due to income earned on the funds held in trust for the Saskatchewan Chess Federation and partly due to increased dividends and interest from some of the holdings.

4. Revenue from six life memberships was $2,520 (William Rutherdale, Bill Kraus, Chris Johnson, Hassan Pishdad, Walter DeJong and Kent Cronin).

5. A cheque for $10,359 was forwarded to the CFC for inclusion in the 2014/2015 budget, of which $923 was specified for the Pugi Fund to assist promising juniors.

6. I encourage all CFC members to consider the Chess Foundation of Canada when deciding on charitable gifting and/or estate planning. I would be pleased to act as a point of contact for anyone needing further information.

CHESS FOUNDATION OF CANADA
    FINANCIAL STATEMENT
    YEAR ENDED 30 APRIL 2014

Summary of Receipts and Disbursements (year end 2013 and 2014)

Receipts: 2013 / 2014
    Life Memberships 3,420 / 2,520
    Income from investments 9,187 / 10,359
    Sask. Chess Fed. nil / 5,507
    Total 2,607 / 18,386

Disbursements:
    CFC (payable) 8,367 / 9,436
    Pugi Fund (payable) 820 / 923
    Total 9,187 / 10,359

Consolidated Balance Sheet (year end 2013 and 2014)

Assets:
    2013 / 2014
    Investment Account 273,457 / 295,013
    Bank Account 360 / 756
    Accounts Receivable (2 life memberships) nil / 900
    Total 273,817 / 296,669

Liabilities:
    2013 / 2014
    Income payable to CFC 8,367 / 9,436
    Income payable to CFC for Pugi Fund 820 / 923
    Chess Foundation Equity 197,082 / 213,615
    Pugi Fund Equity 20,504 / 20,504
    Held in trust for the CFC 46,684 / 46,684
    Held in trust for Sask. Chess Fed. nil / 5,507
    Total 273,817 / 296,669
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

vBulletin doesn't have the ability to align columns in a table thus it's often useful to include documents as file attachments with PDF preferred

Default Public Relations Coordinator Report

2014 Governors’ Annual Meeting (July)

Public Relations Coordinator Annual Report ( Non-Executive Officer ) - Bob Armstrong

Bylaw 3 of the CFC Handbook, under Duties of Officers in Section 8C, (now in limbo with continuance) gives the mandate of the Public Relations Coordinator position ( created at the 2010 AGM by me) as:

“ 8C. The Public Relations Coordinator will be responsible for promoting the image of the CFC and for promoting chess generally to the public. As such the Public Relations Coordinator will, among other things:

- deal with mainstream media to promote significant chess news, such as Canadian Chess Champions, a new Canadian GM, major tournaments like the Can. Closed, Canadian Open, Can. Women’s Closed, CYCC, etc., the various benefits accruing from playing chess and other positive aspects of the chess culture. “

Here is the update on activity since the 2013 Annual Meeting (July/13):

1. “News” Items ( on the CFC Facebook page, members’ CFC Chess Chat Forum, and Twitter.) – In mid-May/13, the CFC website introduced the new “on-line newsfeed”, replacing the “Latest News” column which the Public Relations Coordinator had been responsible for. But the PRC still remained responsible for the CFC Facebook page, and the members’ CFC Chess Chat Forum (which is fed into the CFC Twitter account). Duplicate posts are made on each. The PRC postings are entirely separate from the website and the new on-line newsfeed, though we are all keeping up on what the other is doing. There is some modest duplication sometimes, but the duplications are significantly different since my posts are just very short news “blurbs”, while the on-line newsfeed coverage of the same item is much more detailed.

Since July 1, 2013, 131 news item posts have been made. This is an average of a bit less than 3 news posts per week; the rate for 3 quarters was over 4 posts/week; but the quarter including the Christmas Season was somewhat less (a bit of an anomaly), below 3 per week).

2. Press Releases: none issued – there are generally not many chess items that the general mainstream media may consider “news”. So it is not uncommon to have periods with no press release. Local organizers/teachers contacting news media re local juniors, or local adults with a significant achievement, get more response. One was in preparation this past year, and then my computer died because of a virus, and by the time I got up and running, it was no longer timely.

3. Media Contacts: Had a number of contacts re the WCC and directed media re setting up interviews with Canadian chess personalities, and provided general chess background information for articles.

4. CFC Facebook Page (Non-Profit Corporation): CFC has continued incremental building of the site – it was at about 240 “Likes” at the start of July, 2013. “Likes” are chess players (or anyone) who came, viewed the site, liked its content, and gave their stamp of approval by attaching their name to it. It also indicates that they may likely re-visit the site on a somewhat regular basis, to see new posts. As of July 6, 2014, CFC had added 500 new “Likes” – we are at 740 “Likes”! This is about 10 new “Likes” per week over a full year. Over the year, the rate per month steadily increased. It seems more Facebooker’s are finding our CFC FB page. The majority of “Likes” are not CFC tournament players, and many are not CFC members. We are reaching out in the social media to the non-CFC chess-playing public, casual players. We also have some players from other countries as “Likes”, who now follow Canadian chess.

5. Discussion Boards: posted numbers of times on the members’ CFC Chess Chat Forum, and the CMA Chesstalk, answering CFC issues raised.

6. New Media Links: Unfortunately, I must leave 1 problem for the new Public Relations Coordinator. I had to get a new computer after mine died in Oct./13, because a nasty virus killed my computer. Unfortunately, in the transfer of information to my new upgraded system, some of my e-mail directory was lost. And two items that were lost were my Canadian Media Digital/Print E-mail Group, and my Canadian TV/Radio Media e-mail Group. These were the ones I used for issuing Press Releases. I have not been able to rebuild this. So the new PRC will have to start from scratch and re-build their own CFC media e-mail directories for distributing CFC Press Releases.

I drafted the revised Handbook section that instituted the Public Relations Coordinator (upgrading it from Publicity Director – a position that never ever did get a body into it). Then, after it was left vacant for a short time early in the new year, I volunteered to do it on an “interim” basis – I was the first governor dedicated to trying to deal with outside relations for CFC. After an unsuccessful search by the Executive to find a replacement for me, I volunteered to become permanent.

As you know, I did not stand again, after over 5 years as a Governor, to be an Incoming Voting Member for GTCL/Ont. I also find that I do not have time to do the job as a CFC Non-voting member, and so will not be standing again for the position.

I have enjoyed doing the job. I hope I have helped the CFC some, over these past years.

I hope I have done some trailblazing. Much can be done with the position, but that is circumscribed by the volunteer time available, and the time taken by the basics to be done on a regular basis. So I look forward to someone new looking at the position with fresh eyes, and hope for a creative expansion of the activities of the PRC, beyond what I have been able to do.

Good luck to PRC # 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    As you know, I did not stand again, after over 5 years as a Governor, to be an Incoming Voting Member for GTCL/Ont. I also find that I do not have time to do the job as a CFC Non-voting member, and so will not be standing again for the position.

I have enjoyed doing the job. I hope I have helped the CFC some, over these past years.
    Thank you Bob for your hard work for the CFC, and for your newsletter about Toronto (and beyond) chess.
    Reminder: several years ago Bob Armstrong's volunteering efforts were recognized with the Ontario Volunteer Service Award, and the GTCL Volunteer Award.

I hope you'll still stick to a chess playing field competing for the most active CFC player
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    vBulletin doesn't have the ability to align columns in a table thus it's often useful to include documents as file attachments with PDF preferred

The forum has a TABLE tag similar to the HTML code. It is necessary to use [ ] instead of < >.
    .*-1

Is there a web page one should read to educate oneself on this? Because no question Hal and I spent a lot of time before the meeting trying to make his table more readily accessible. Neither of us wanted to transcribe the thing in full but if it's just a matter of adding a few markup characters...

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Is there a web page one should read to educate oneself on this? Because no question Hal and I spent a lot of time before the meeting trying to make his table more readily accessible. Neither of us wanted to transcribe the thing in full but if it's just a matter of adding a few markup characters...
    Try read this https://computerservices.temple.edu/...ng-tables-html
    and replace < with [ in your post.

Please send me the tabulated (Excel) file and I'll help.

Other possibility is to try with CODE but requires carefully place spaces or tabs.
    .*-1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast