Thread: 19a) Not for profit status

Blog Entries

Default 19a) Not for profit status

The OCA is a provincially incorporated not-for-pofit corporation.

Some have asked to have a discussion on whether or not to maintain this. So here it is.

There are two primary benefits, as I see it. The main one is it allows us to apply for or partner on Trillium grants (for example, Windsor CYCC). It also does provide some protection for those casting votes while at the same time putting a few requirements on them - not really that many, but it does help protect the funds.

In any case, I personally see no reason to drop the incorporation.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    The OCA is a provincially incorporated not-for-pofit corporation.
    Will the OCA be required to go through a similar path as the CFC?
    .*-1

Blog Entries

The update to the Ontario Not for profit Corporations Act, Bill 85, died on the order paper when the election was called. This has been in debate since 2010. If/when it is passed and comes into effect (6 months after being passed) there will be a 3-year compliance period.

It will not be nearly so difficult for the OCA as it was for the CFC, for several reasons:

1. The OCA's existing constitution is much smaller and less complicated
    2. The OCA was only incorporated 10 years ago and has not changed structure, vs the CFC incorporated as a charity 40 years ago then converted to a nonprofit
    3. The OCA has a simpler governance model.

The only tricky bit will be the wording for the regional VPs I think, but it should be easily doable. In fact on a quick perusal of the proposed law I didn't catch anything that is outright not allowed in our constitution, although some modernization of the language will be needed.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

More reading if you are interested: http://theonn.ca/what-we-do/constellations/onca/
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Incorporation is fine for now.

We should stay incorporated, but we should also take advantage of this status to secure financial support to promote chess in Ontario. It is important we stay current with required tax filing also.