Thread: 2. Opening Comments by Chair

Default 2. Opening Comments by Chair

Voting Members (formerly Governors) please welcome our President Vladimir Drkulec...
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 06-29-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Blog Entries

I would like to welcome the voting members to the first meeting of the outgoing voting members (formerly called governors) under the CFC which has transitioned into the new Canada Not For Profit Act. For those who are stepping aside and not continuing as incoming members in the parallel meeting for the new assembly of voting members I would like to thank you for your service and wish you the best of luck in your new endeavours. Chess governance is a thankless job except here where we will thank you for caring enough to contribute to the running of the CFC.

Bob Gillanders has been settling into the CFC office as the new Executive Director and has already shown a very steady hand in his handling of several issues which have come up. I am going to enjoy working with him. The big news this year was the sucessful transition to the new NFP act. After a successful CYCC and Canadian Open in Ottawa in 2013 we will have an even larger CYCC and combined Canadian Open / Quebec Open in Montreal this year. I am hoping to see many of you at one or both of these events.

At WYCC in the United Arab Emirates we had the fortune of seeing a new Canadian world champion in Harmony Zhou from Toronto. We were delighted to see Harmony's interview at the World Youth. We hope this is just the first of many championships for young Harmony.

We will present financials before the end of this meeting for the last fiscal year ending April 30th, 2014. We had a healthy surplus but we may not expect such a good result next year as fundraising for the Olympiad team seems to be lagging a bit this year.