Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's get this meeting started?

Default Let's get this meeting started?

OK, to start things off:
    I am willing to stand again as OCA Youth Coordinator ...
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

Guys...what are we going to do about the serious lack of enthusiasm for chess governance? Im noticing it at all levels. I think it would also be fair to say I'm feeling it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
    Guys...what are we going to do about the serious lack of enthusiasm for chess governance? Im noticing it at all levels. I think it would also be fair to say I'm feeling it myself.
    Even at the local level, it is hard to get people involved. In Windsor, we have some very active juniors, with parents who are intelligent, professional, well-organized. However, none of the parents will rent a hall or organize a tournament, no matter how simple. I suspect we may have to dramatically raise prices (paid by parents), and pay organizers.

The OCA in particular suffers from lack of governance, because the organization provides no useful services. My suggestion is that we go the Saskatchewan route...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Coleman View Post
    Even at the local level, it is hard to get people involved. In Windsor, we have some very active juniors, with parents who are intelligent, professional, well-organized. However, none of the parents will rent a hall or organize a tournament, no matter how simple. I suspect we may have to dramatically raise prices (paid by parents), and pay organizers.

The OCA in particular suffers from lack of governance, because the organization provides no useful services. My suggestion is that we go the Saskatchewan route...
    That would end the capability to do a Trillium grant application.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    That would end the capability to do a Trillium grant application.
    I'm not up-to-date with Trillium rules, but a local organization could partner with CFC (I guess, not sure about the new NFP roles), or form a non-profit locally.

However, if the sole purpose of OCA is to provide structure for Trillium grants, then the organization would be further ahead by simply saving all the membership fees into a fund, which would be given to organizers upon request.

Even better would be just to end the whole charade. The last Trillium grant was (I believe) 2010. Subsequent application(s) have been declined.

The OCA is pretty much just a common front for the individual leagues. As such, it should just concentrate on its core responsibilities.

1) Act as mechanism for choosing governors for the CFC.
    2) Run Ontario-wide tournaments, such as the Ontario open.
    3) Transfer monies from the CFC to the leagues within the OCA.

Currently the OCA can't even get that right. Let's at least concentrate on ensuring that we accomplish the minimum goals, and if someone has the energies to accomplish more then power to them.

Default Ontario Open

First I want to thank Bryan Lamb for rescuing the Ontario Open this year. Bryan did an excellent job on very short notice.

Next I would like to here an account of what went wrong this year. Why was the lack of an Ontario Open not recognized until almost the last minute, and how do we prevent a reoccurrence in the future?

Garland, some discussion took place at the GTCL meeting. I'll post soon (probably tomorrow) meeting minutes.

Several points:

Ilya Bluvshtein considers running for the OCA presidency.
    He has ideas for a change.

Today, is the GTCL Cup. Maybe there will be some time to talk in persons with others about the OCA.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

It's a bit of a hiccup start due to some delays and also how busy I am, but I just posted Governor calculations which are among the more important things. The rest of the threads will appear over the course of today.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Will the meeting be extended beyond May 30 (as advertised in email?) I would suggest conduct all voting on work days than the weekend.
    .*-1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast