Thread: From the Secretary: my apologies for the late start

Default From the Secretary: my apologies for the late start

To the President, Executive and Governors - my apologies to all of you - somehow I got the idea that the 6th was Monday and that I should have the meeting open 0800 Monday morning. Monday is of course the 7th - I have no real excuse though my wife has been in Ontario for the last month attending to her mother who came close to death on the operating table and is now recovering in Toronto General. Today my wife returned home from Vancouver.

Obviously I should have opened the meeting at 1100 ET / 0800 PT this morning - I was confused on the date and failed to do so on schedule. This shall NOT happen again - I have reviewed the 'tentative dates' from the last two meetings and am unclear how I made that lapse.

Thanks, Lyle Craver

Blog Entries

I hope your mother in law is feeling better. I am relieved that you are here now as this forum software doesn't seem to want to work for me the way I expect it to. I'm not sure whether it is due to unfamiliarity or due to missing privileges. We muddled our way through until you got here.

As an aside,.... can anyone tell me what that hidden and protected Abyss forum is? And why my forum password works most of the time but not on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I hope your mother in law is feeling better. I am relieved that you are here now as this forum software doesn't seem to want to work for me the way I expect it to. I'm not sure whether it is due to unfamiliarity or due to missing privileges. We muddled our way through until you got here.

As an aside,.... can anyone tell me what that hidden and protected Abyss forum is? And why my forum password works most of the time but not on occasion.
    That's a question for Chris or Michael - it's old old old stuff that is considered important enough not to delete but not important day to day.

In general from a technical point of view there are 3 parent forums that this meeting is attached to (1) Executive Chat before the meeting (full access to exec no access to anybody else), (2) Meeting room during the meeting (full access to governors, read access to everybody else) and (3) Archive after the meeting (read access to everybody). The meeting takes on the security settings of it's parent by default - Chris and I took a long time figuring out that this was the simplest way to give the proper meeting security. Obviously when the time comes that I am no longer Secretary I plan to take as much time as the new Secretary feels is needed to hand hold them through this stuff. It's important to get it right and most of the time we do.

Thanks for the kind words on mother-in-law - it's been a hugely stressful month but she is recovering though more slowly than we would like. As you see I have made a few mistakes during this time I'd not ever normally make.

(By the way I have sent you a private forum message on forum security which covers the above material and a bit more)

Blog Entries

Oh yeah I forgot about the Abyss. It's basically somewhere you can move a thread where only the current Secretary and President can see it. That lets you save something that you may not want to be publicly accessible but may be needed in the future - for example if there was any possible criminal acts discussed. There are rules about deletion of electronic communication for corporations and rather than trying to understand them (and they change!) I find it easier to just "banish" rather than deleting.

As for the password... I've never had the problem personally, do you mean it doesn't accept your password, or it seems to accept it but then you are not actually logged in?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Oh yeah I forgot about the Abyss. It's basically somewhere you can move a thread where only the current Secretary and President can see it. That lets you save something that you may not want to be publicly accessible but may be needed in the future - for example if there was any possible criminal acts discussed. There are rules about deletion of electronic communication for corporations and rather than trying to understand them (and they change!) I find it easier to just "banish" rather than deleting.

As for the password... I've never had the problem personally, do you mean it doesn't accept your password, or it seems to accept it but then you are not actually logged in?
    On the password, it may be that one of the keys on my computer was sticking. I cut and pasted my password and I seem to be able to log in without any issues. On the abyss can someone figure out how to give me access?

I have to find some time to explore the software as trying to figure it out on the fly was a little daunting. I did manage to get a meeting started just barely. Lyle has provided me with detailed instructions for future reference.