Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5. Executive Reports

Blog Entries

Default 5. Executive Reports

Here is the thread for Executive reports.

Lightbulb Do you play chess? Prove it! April 3, 2014 100.3 The Q! The Island's Rock

The Grand Pacific Open is BC's largest chess tournament and this will be it's 8th annual! The main event is a 6 round FIDE and CFC rated Swiss with $5000 in prizes. There are also a number of side events which are free (even if not in the main event) and include an active tournament, Midnight Blitz with $100 in prizes, and a Bughouse tournament to finish off the weekend.

AS CFC Past President, I am very busy working on this tournament which will be in full swing -- in less than 2 weeks.

Lots of media excitement here on Vancouver Island.

I wanted the Governors to take the time and have a listen to my recent radio interview on 100.3 The Q!

The Link is here: http://www.theq.fm/now/do-you-play-chess-prove-it/

Attachment 235

All the best wishes to the Governors Meeting!

Mark S. Dutton, I.A., I.O.,
    CFC Governor and Past President

Attachment 236

Come join us Easter 2014 in Victoria for the Grand Pacific Open!

Default Great interview.

Great interview Mark! Looks like a record setting year for the GPO. Keep up the excellent work!

Thanks Hal. We are getting a good cross-section of players from far and wide including 2 IM's from Toronto.
    Fifteen masters pre-registered is pretty good out here.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

No more reports?
    Financial status, memberships, CFC-FQE, National coach, Olympiad, etc.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    No more reports?
    Financial status, memberships, CFC-FQE, National coach, Olympiad, etc.
    Financially we are doing better than we have in many years. We gave financial reports in the special meeting for February which represented the first three quarters of the fiscal year which ended on January 31st, 2014. The fiscal year ends April 30th, 2014 so there are no new fiscals beyond the first three quarters.

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...ancial-Reports

Michael indicated that memberships were holding relatively steady. I suspect that we were slightly hurt by a relatively harsh winter which made traveling to tournaments more difficult. I was concerned by the receivables and directed Michael to work on this very diligently leading up to the annual meeting and his report of the the finances for 2014. Michael reports that he has made good progress on reducing the receivables and turning them into cash.

If we don't complete the requirements for the new NFP act then there is no CFC. If there is no CFC there can be no CFC-FQE agreement so I have been somewhat preoccupied to ensure that there is a CFC which can make an agreement. I definitely need to turn my attention to this matter once I have ensured that there continues to be a CFC.

The national coach program is moribund at the moment but a modified form is still very much on our mind and formed part of recent discussions between myself and Frank Lee. Formation of the youth committee has been problematic as the parents who were involved in a previous incarnation decline to participate if a certain individual is involved and they fear that he might be installed by the governors. No one wants to be part of a dysfunctional committee similar to the one that occurred in the past.

Hal Bond has been taking the lead on matters dealing with the Olympiad so I will leave that to him for the moment.

Question Youth Coordinator report?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Formation of the youth committee has been problematic as the parents who were involved in a previous incarnation decline to participate if a certain individual is involved and they fear that he might be installed by the governors. No one wants to be part of a dysfunctional committee similar to the one that occurred in the past.
    IMHO, the CFC Youth Committee should be elected at the AGM - like many other Committees.
    Do you see any problem with that approach?

Will we see Youth Coordinator report at this Meeting?
    Any news about NAYCC registration?
    How many Canadian players have registered?
    Who are selected as official players?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    IMHO, the CFC Youth Committee should be elected at the AGM - like many other Committees.
    Do you see any problem with that approach?
    The youth committee should consist of interested parents of players, coaches of players and prominent organizers of youth events. The previous committee was so dysfunctional that people who were on it do not want anything to do with it if there is even a chance that they will have to suffer in a similar fashion again.

Will we see Youth Coordinator report at this Meeting?
    Hopefully we will right after the NAYCC issues are resolved. We are at the deadline from the organizers.

Any news about NAYCC registration?
    How many Canadian players have registered?
    Nineteen as of the last list from the organizers. Twenty two to twenty four if we go by those who have assured us that they have registered along with the list. Twenty five if we count the person in under 14 girls whose parent has stated that they would consider going only if they were the official player. We need to reconcile lists between the CFC office, myself, Victoria Donkjas, Frank Lee and the final list from the organizers.

Who are selected as official players?
    Pending on a final list from the organizers. I don't believe that we have a player registered in under 14 girls though Janet Peng is interested and MIGHT go if given official player status. Emails are flying furiously with one day before we are supposed to submit our list of players. You sent a few and I thank you for that. At what point do you think we should implement your strategy of notifying the next in line?

The youth committee should consist of interested parents of players, coaches of players and prominent organizers of youth events. The previous committee was so dysfunctional that people who were on it do not want anything to do with it if there is even a chance that they will have to suffer in a similar fashion again.
    Sorry, Vlad, but you sound like slinging arrows...

Could you please be more specific?
    What is "the previous committee"?
    Why do you think it was "so dysfunctional"?
    Who are "that people who were on it"?

And could you please answer my question:
    Why can't the youth committee consisting of interested parents of players, coaches of players and prominent organizers of youth events, be elected at the AGM?

At what point do you think we should implement your strategy of notifying the next in line?
    IMHO, we should notify the next in line as soon as it's clear that previous in line won't go.

You set the deadline for the CFC registration on April 2.
    On April 3 we should publish the list of official players according to received by the deadline applications.
    If we don't have at this point official players in all 12 sections, we should personally invite appropriate players to fill the gaps.
    Do you agree?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    You set the deadline for the CFC registration on April 2.
    On April 3 we should publish the list of official players according to received by the deadline applications.
    If we don't have at this point official players in all 12 sections, we should personally invite appropriate players to fill the gaps.
    Do you agree?
    We are waiting for confirmation from Janet Peng for under 14 girls the only girl in that section to express interest if given official player status. The rest should be ready tomorrow when we hope to get a final list from the organizers which will confirm that everyone is registered. Nicka Kalaydina is now registered in under 18 girls filling in that spot and we are working on a few others. There were gaps but they are now getting filled in. I'll let Frank post the list after tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast