Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8a. Motion on WYCC – Barron / Noritsyn (full text see below)

And is that a problem?

Ken, I suggest that you reread the discussions between Michael Barron and Vlad regarding the NAYCC. Michael believes there is a problem, while Vlad would differ. Whether it is a problem or not depends on whose view you agree with.

I don't think it's a problem and I'm looking for those who think it is a problem to put forth a persuasive case.

Blog Entries

There needs to be a simple and transparent procedure to qualify for the 3 important junior tournaments: WYCC, PanAm and NAYCCC. Juniors in general have different goals and they need to adjust their training, schedule and performance each year based on those goals. I think this is the main problem this motion could fix!
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    There needs to be a simple and transparent procedure to qualify for the 3 important junior tournaments: WYCC, PanAm and NAYCCC. Juniors in general have different goals and they need to adjust their training, schedule and performance each year based on those goals. I think this is the main problem this motion could fix!
    You should mention "when WYCC, PanAM, NAYCC are in the next year than the CYCC". Is there any way the CFC could influence tournaments' dates for PanAm and NAYCC?
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    To make it ('unable to participate') a public knowledge.
    My main bur under my bonnet on this one is that I feel strongly that the CYCC organizers should be required to collect contact information from the players and make this info for 1st/2nd/3rd place finishers available to the business office. When we have a 'regrets' situation we often have to move quickly and on previous occasions (and this is not restricted to CYCC!) the office has had to use unreasonable amounts of time to contact third parties who may or may not have contact info for the alternates in a situation where time is big time of the essence.

If it turns out contact can't be made fast enough they go to the next name and inevitably those passed over are upset. This isn't fair to the players, the Office or the Exec.

In short, my feeling is that if you're 2400+ or have scored in the top 3 it is your duty to make sure your contact info is on hand.

Bottom line: the Office and the Executive do do our best to give our stars the best possible chance to compete but the obligation isn't all one way and I am tired of seeing some of the recriminations we've seen far too often in a certain web forum and elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    the CYCC organizers should be required to collect contact information from the players and make this info for 1st/2nd/3rd place finishers available to the business office.
    I'm surprised that this practice was not implemented from the 1st CYCC :/ It is common to provide full parents' and close family friend's contacts when a kid attends a camp. The CFC should set standard not organizers or parents.
    .*-1

Ken, if Canada is not represented in all 12 WYCC sections, it is a problem - it's lost opportunity to develop Canadian chess.
    On the other side, if Federation cares about players - the players care about Federation.
    It's important for the future of Canadian chess, it's important for the future of CFC.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Well the point is that the obligation is two way not one way and too often the Office has had to go to extraordinary steps to make contact. I don't think that's fair to the Office.

Too many people (by no means just juniors) figure not keeping in touch is OK then complain if they get passed over. After all, the President and the Office are always wrong right? This problem goes back a long time and I suspect if you asked Jonathan Berry (who I've known for 40 years) he'd just shake his head sadly.

I'm going to support this as it's a step in the right direction. If we vote against anything that isn't perfection we'll never get anywhere.

Blog Entries

I don't have a problem with the intent of the motion. Just realize if the situation is such that it is practically impossible to follow the motion because of very late notice or missing contact information or being ignored by the potential contactees then it will probably be ignored. As Lyle said there is a two way street as far as responsibility for communication.

On a related note we don't have anyone in under 14 girls for NAYCC. Janet Peng wanted to go but is not sure that she can get the time off school. Unfortunately her mother has not been able to get the school to confirm that she will be allowed to attend. She is the only under 14 girl who has expressed interest. I am going to try to get the ability to make a substitution in the event that she is not able to attend. We need to do more to get girls to stick with chess longer.

There are 34 Canadian players registered to attend NAYCC at the moment with 35 possible if Janet Peng is successful with her school. Seven Windsor players are among the registered. Final determinations of official players will take place later today. Frank Lee or I might post it as soon as it is finalized.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12