Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8a. Motion on WYCC – Barron / Noritsyn (full text see below)

Blog Entries

Default 8a. Motion on WYCC – Barron / Noritsyn (full text see below)

The following Motion, was moved by Michael Barron and seconded by Nikolay Noritsyn at the January Governors Meeting:

To amend sub paragraph 712 (a) by adding the following sentence:
    If the winner is unable to participate at WYCC, this fact shall be announced on the public CFC Forum as soon as it became known.

The amended sub paragraph 712 (a) shall read:

"712.Participation in the World Events:

INVITED PLAYERS

a) Canadian Youth Chess Championship (CYCC) is a qualifier to international youth chess competitions.

Top 3 finishers in each section are qualified to become official representatives for:

1) World Youth Chess Championship (WYCC);

2) Pan American Youth Chess Championship;

3) North American Youth Chess Championship.

If the winner is unable to participate at WYCC, this fact shall be announced on the public CFC Forum as soon as it became known.
    If the winner is unable to participate, the second place finisher shall be invited to go in his place. If the second place finisher also declines, the highest finisher in the tournament who is willing to participate in the world event (if not rejected by CFC Executive due to the sub paragraph (d)), shall be selected. The CFC Board of Directors shall use an appropriate tie-breaking method to break ties if required to determine the order of finish.

All official representatives to WYCC should receive financial support from CFC to reduce their travel expenses. "

Blog Entries

Is there a reason why the 3rd place finisher is not singled out (like the 1st and 2nd places) having priority over any other "highest finisher" (4th or lower) @ CYCC? In my opinion this kind of diminishes the accomplishment of finishing 3rd, doesn't it?
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

I agree. Third place finishers should be included.

I am also concerned with the wording of "as soon as it became known". This is not practical because this requires someone to monitor all the all the players at all times and then respond immediately.

Default Amending Original Motion as Filed

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
    I agree. Third place finishers should be included.

I am also concerned with the wording of "as soon as it became known". This is not practical because this requires someone to monitor all the all the players at all times and then respond immediately.
    Seems like someone should move a specifically worded amendment motion to the original motion filed. Would it be possible (I believe it is not good form) for the mover/seconder to accept the amendment as a "friendly" one, and thus amend their original motion, and save us having to vote on both an amending motion, and then a main motion. Can we be that informal to be somewhat more efficient?

Bob A

Gentlemen, let me respond to all comments in a single post.

You're right, Bob - on the Governors Forum Ken Craft suggested that "became" should be "becomes", and it was accepted as a "friendly" amendment - please see
    http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...4309#post24309

So, the corrected Motion is:

To amend sub paragraph 712 (a) by adding the following sentence:
    If the winner is unable to participate at WYCC, this fact shall be announced on the public CFC Forum as soon as it becomes known.

The amended sub paragraph 712 (a) shall read:

"712.Participation in the World Events:

INVITED PLAYERS

a) Canadian Youth Chess Championship (CYCC) is a qualifier to international youth chess competitions.

Top 3 finishers in each section are qualified to become official representatives for:

1) World Youth Chess Championship (WYCC);

2) Pan American Youth Chess Championship;

3) North American Youth Chess Championship.

If the winner is unable to participate at WYCC, this fact shall be announced on the public CFC Forum as soon as it becomes known.
    If the winner is unable to participate, the second place finisher shall be invited to go in his place. If the second place finisher also declines, the highest finisher in the tournament who is willing to participate in the world event (if not rejected by CFC Executive due to the sub paragraph (d)), shall be selected. The CFC Board of Directors shall use an appropriate tie-breaking method to break ties if required to determine the order of finish.

All official representatives to WYCC should receive financial support from CFC to reduce their travel expenses. "

Valer, you probably could better answer the question "Is there a reason why the 3rd place finisher is not singled out?"
    If you remember, you was one of the authors of original text 3 years ago...
    If you think this point is important, you're welcome to suggest an amendment to correct this deficiency.

The presented Motion adds a single sentence to existing text:
    and intended to correct a problem that we saw last year:
    when 3 CYCC winners declined their invitations to WYCC, nobody knew that until after registration deadline, except for the President and Youth Coordinator.
    As a result, Canada wasn't properly represented in 2 out of 12 WYCC sections.

On the contrary, thanks to the President, now we know who is interested to represent Canada at NAYCC - please see
    http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...9058#post79058
    Everybody can see this information and take corrective actions, if necessary.
    The presented Motion requests the similar information to be publicly available in the process of WYCC registration as well.

Yes, Frank, this Motion requires someone to monitor all the players at all times and then respond immediately.
    And this "someone" - is you, the CFC Youth Coordinator.
    If you're unable or unwilling to do your work - why did you let your name to stand for the Youth Coordinator position at the AGM?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post

Yes, Frank, this Motion requires someone to monitor all the players at all times and then respond immediately.
    And this "someone" - is you, the CFC Youth Coordinator.
    If you're unable or unwilling to do your work - why did you let your name to stand for the Youth Coordinator position at the AGM?
    This is not helpful. Frank has a low key and business like approach towards youth chess that is working. He is a very important component of why things are going right for us at the moment. He cares about the kids and approaches the task from the perspective of a chess parent which we need much more of. He is an important cog in the Windsor chess machine and also in the success of this administration. In the last week we have spent about six hours in face to face conversation with respect to CFC issues and have probably sent at least fifty emails if not more back and forth in addition. At the moment I get a feeling that a big old crocodile is eyeing my right hand for a quick snack. Don't be that crocodile. You can be much better than that.

Blog Entries

OK, I truly forgot about writing this 3 years ago; anyway I believe leaving the 3rd place out was just an oversight. My proposal is to add to this motion the 3rd place and have it written something like this:

"... If the winner is unable to participate, the second place finisher shall be invited to go in its place. If the second place is unable to participate, the third place finisher shall be invited to go in its place. If the third place finisher also declines, the highest finisher in the tournament who is willing to participate in the world event..."

My addition is with bold letters. How about this one? Opinions please!
    Last edited by Valer Eugen Demian; 04-07-2014 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    OK, I truly forgot about writing this 3 years ago; anyway I believe leaving the 3rd place out was just an oversight. My proposal is to add to this motion the 3rd place and have it written something like this:

"... If the winner is unable to participate, the second place finisher shall be invited to go in its place. If the second place is unable to participate, the third place finisher shall be invited to go in its place. If the third place finisher also declines, the highest finisher in the tournament who is willing to participate in the world event..."

My addition is with bold letters. How about this one? Opinions please!
    It looks like a sensible addition to the handbook. I do have some reservations about the thrust of this which assumes that there is lots of time to approach each potential participant serially. I think it would make more sense if we allowed CYCC finisher number one, two and three to offer conditional acceptance where they are going only if they are the official player as a possible option and set the deadline early enough that we can sort everything out.

Vadim Tsypin kindly did a study of the various spring break timings across Canada were to a view of establishing an earlier time frame when we could hold our CYCC but unfortunately it doesn't seem that any two provinces have the same break period. The best we could hope for would be a weekend overlap between Ontario and Quebec with the other eight provinces all over the map and likely not being too amused if we tried to move it earlier in the year.

This year the deadline to register for WYCC may be before the end of CYCC so we will probably have to ask people to decide fairly quickly and maybe even before CYCC whether they wish to attend WYCC. I don't see any details from the organizers yet. It probably makes sense for people who definitely wish to go to make arrangements early to take advantage of the best flight prices.

What problem is this motion designed to fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    What problem is this motion designed to fix?
    To make it ('unable to participate') a public knowledge.
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; 04-07-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    .*-1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast