Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10. New Business

The motion should mention where monies came from.
    Do we have the Youth committee report / opinion of the money transfer?

I see that it is not within Handbook rules.

"714. Organization:

{Original Replaced By - Motion Palsson/Doubleday 2007-08 GL1 From AGM}, The CFC shall retain 10% of all monies received for administrative expenses such as VISA charges, I.D. calls, office and all other expenses. $75 of each paid entry shall go to the local organizer for their expenses in providing the playing site, tournament directors and all other expenses. The balance of the monies received shall go to the CYCC fund which shall be used to pay the travel expenses or a portion of the travel expenses of the participants in the WYCC. Any surplus monies shall be retained by the CFC to cover any losses incurred in the CYCC program for prior years or to be held to fund travel for future CYCC events where there is a shortfall.

Where the fund available to send winners to the WYCC is insufficient to fund 100% of the travel, then the amount available shall be divided amongst the participants who will be responsible for making up the shortfall by forwarding the amount to the CFC business office before the airline ticket for that particpant is purchased."

IMHO, the CYCC shall not be a money cow for all CFC programs.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

IMHO, the CYCC shall not be a money cow for all CFC programs.
    It is not. There were funds generated by YCC's and also funds generated by extra fees for WYCC extra players. These funds should be expended for youth initiatives and not permanently disappear into co-mingled funds in the CFC's short term bank account which generates no interest. Lets quit being misers and spend some tiny amount of the funds generated every year in order to further our nominal aims which are to promote chess and provide opportunities to young players especially our elite youth chess players.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 04-08-2014 at 11:07 PM.

I support this motion
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Thank you Paul. I think recent bad financial years have made us a bit shy about committing funds to anything no matter how worthy. I would like to see the CFC do more in this area. We have to address the uncertainties in our present situation of course but as a general guideline we should focus on doing things which further our reasons for existing. We are a non-profit so accumulating money should not be our primary focus except to the extent that that accumulation assists us in the pursuit of our goals of promoting chess and chess play. If we aren't furthering our true purpose then there is no point in having that money. If we were to dissolve the CFC any surplus after we pay off debts (primarily unresolved obligations to the life members and contractual obligations with respect to the Executive director) goes to charities that have nothing to do with chess in all likelihood.

The funny thing is that if we actually concentrate on our primary aim the money flow often improves because people will support us if they see that we are making a positive contribution. That is my working theory and so far it seems to be working for the CFC.

Blog Entries

I thought that I should let the governors and general public know that I intend to run for a second term as CFC president at the next AGM. I hope to tie off any loose ends with respect to the new NFP act and also to get the chance to work on some of the things that I originally took the job as CFC president in order to achieve.

Question World Youth Chess Olympiad ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    There were funds generated by YCC's and also funds generated by extra fees for WYCC extra players. These funds should be expended for youth initiatives and not permanently disappear into co-mingled funds in the CFC's short term bank account which generates no interest. Lets quit being misers and spend some tiny amount of the funds generated every year in order to further our nominal aims which are to promote chess and provide opportunities to young players especially our elite youth chess players.
    This is right approach!

Maybe we could send a Canadian Team to World Youth Chess Olympiad ?
    If we could send such players as Richard Wang, Razvan Preotu, Michael Song, and, let's say, Adam Dorrance and Stirling Dorrance as a Captain - or Olivier Kenta Chiku-Ratte and Felix Dumont as a Captain - or Mark Plotkin and Victor Plotkin as a Captain - or Diwen Shi and Edward Porper as a Captain - or Jason Cao and Maxim Doroshenko as a Captain - such Team could compete for Olympiad medals...
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    This is right approach!

Maybe we could send a Canadian Team to World Youth Chess Olympiad ?
    If we could send such players as Richard Wang, Razvan Preotu, Michael Song, and, let's say, Adam Dorrance and Stirling Dorrance as a Captain - or Olivier Kenta Chiku-Ratte and Felix Dumont as a Captain - or Mark Plotkin and Victor Plotkin as a Captain - or Diwen Shi and Edward Porper as a Captain - or Jason Cao and Maxim Doroshenko as a Captain - such Team could compete for Olympiad medals...

If it is in a safe place and we can figure out a way to pay for it.... At the moment it doesn't seem to be listed on the FIDE calendar. Previously it was in a very unsafe place.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123