Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10. New Business

Blog Entries

Default 10. New Business

Please post New Business that you would like considered by the governors at this meeting.

Blog Entries

Default Kalev Pugi fund

Is there any support for making a one time increase in the Kalev Pugi fund from the $820 or so available this year to $1600 or even $1800 for this year? The trustees for this fund would make all decisions on how these extra funds would be awarded. It seems to me that when we have a particularly successful year as we did with the Ottawa CYCC and which we will have with Montreal's CYCC this year that maybe we should bump up the awards under this program. It could be used to help some of our kids achieve some norms. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Is there any support for making a one time increase in the Kalev Pugi fund from the $820 or so available this year to $1600 or even $1800 for this year? The trustees for this fund would make all decisions on how these extra funds would be awarded. It seems to me that when we have a particularly successful year as we did with the Ottawa CYCC and which we will have with Montreal's CYCC this year that maybe we should bump up the awards under this program. It could be used to help some of our kids achieve some norms. Any thoughts?
    Yes, Vlad, it's a great idea!

In addition, I would suggest to discuss at this Meeting how we're going to spend $6000 allocated for NAYCC.
    In particular, I would suggest to send a Team coach with the Canadian delegation to NAYCC - on similar to WYCC conditions.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Yes, Vlad, it's a great idea!

In addition, I would suggest to discuss at this Meeting how we're going to spend $6000 allocated for NAYCC.
    In particular, I would suggest to send a Team coach with the Canadian delegation to NAYCC - on a similar to WYCC conditions.
    I am glad you like it! I will need at least two governors to make a motion to that effect. Under the current rules the president is supposed to chair the meeting and not to make motions though of course I have taken the lead on the NFP act file.

With a two round a day tournament there is less time for the coach to make much of an impact unless he is already very familiar with the kids in question. Part of the budget will be spent by providing the few top three CYCC finishers who will not have an opportunity for an official player status the equivalent benefit which is about $300 per player. I think this is the way for us to keep the promise implied in the handbook. I had expected that we might do this for about ten kids but at the moment we don't have nearly that many. It looks like it will be closer to three or four. We have had discussions about possibly sending coaches but the early feedback was that it might not be the best way to allocate our resources. There are also some issues that arise with sending coaches. Once we get a complete picture of who is going with respect to the players we'll be able to consult the parents and chart a course. I don't think we should impose our will on this group without consulting them. If we do wind up sending coaches they should think in terms of an honorarium and not an all expenses paid trip and an honorarium as we did for WYCC.

As an aside, your email suggestion for a coach was excellent.

I am not certain that we will spend the whole amount allocated to NAYCC and this was another reason to look at bumping up the Pugi fund. Just because we have a certain amount allocated doesn't mean that we have to spend it unless we are getting a good return on it. And by a good return I mean an enhanced experience for the children and their parents.

The timing of this NAYCC tournament is a bit unfortunate in that it conflicts with exams for potential participants from both Ontario and Quebec and with the additional uncertainty that exam schedules are not set for many students. I have been told by more than one very strong player that they can't attend for this reason. Others hesitated while they scrambled to make special arrangements with their schools for the students' exams.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 04-07-2014 at 12:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Excellent idea! $820 is not a lot of money to split when there are a few valid applications for funds. I can make a motion to increase it to whatever amount we can afford; just please let me know!
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    Excellent idea! $820 is not a lot of money to split when there are a few valid applications for funds. I can make a motion to increase it to whatever amount we can afford; just please let me know!
    Please do so. We can comfortably afford $1,000 extra this year. Given the growth in YCC's and the successful CYCC's in Ottawa and Montreal I think we can do that this year and we can look at doing it again next year. I believe that Michael Barron will work with you as he has already said that he likes the idea.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 04-07-2014 at 03:26 AM.

Blog Entries

Please do so. We can comfortably afford $1,000 extra this year. Given the growth in YCC's and the successful CYCC's in Ottawa and Montreal I think we can do that this year and we can look at doing it again next year. I believe that Michael Barron will work with you as he has already said that he likes the idea.
    I would like to make a motion for a one time increase of this year's Kalev Pugi fund from $820 to $1,800 for the purpose of better supporting our youth in need.

Is anyone interested to second it, maybe Michael, Patrick, Lyle, Paul, others? We have around 4-5 applications at this time and any extra money would go a long way in helping those in need.
    Last edited by Valer Eugen Demian; 04-07-2014 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

I second the motion.

How much money is currently in the Pugi Fund?

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    I would like to make a motion for a one time increase of this year's Kalev Pugi fund from $820 to $1,800 for the purpose of better supporting our youth in need.
    Excuse me,.....you can not just arbitrarily increase the funds flowing from the Pugi fund.
    It is a separate fund within the Foundation, and we are obligated to honour the wishes of the donor, Kalev Pugi.
    As I understand it (maybe I am wrong), but the instructions to the trustees are that the earnings only ($820) are to be distributed annually to deserving youngsters, but that the principal portion be held in perpetuity.

I am not saying it isn't a good idea, just that we need to comply with the rules. May we hear from a Pugi fund trustee please.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast