View Poll Results: I spent Valentine's Day...

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • with my honey

13 56.52%
  • studying openings

1 4.35%
  • what's Valentine's Day?

1 4.35%
  • other

8 34.78%

Thread: 2. Governors' Sign-In

Default 2. Governors' Sign-In

Please sign in to the meeting by choosing one of the voting options above. Which isn't important - if you vote for any of them you're here. (vBulletin doesn't allow us to have a poll with only one option)

Default Constitutional Amendments: What is Needed?

It seems we have a participation problem: 15 out of 61 governors (sigh) - on the most important issue facing CFC - dissolution - after 2 full days, with voting starting Friday evening 9:00 PM EST.

Whatever steps were taken to encourage attendance, they have not worked. Is some further step required to plead with the deadwood to attend? I hope it is just that many governors are not interested in discussing it, and they will just come and vote on Friday and Saturday. But I don't think it would be good to just assume this.

Is it the case though, that as long as there is a quorum, motions need only 2/3 of the votes CAST to pass a constitutional amendment? Also, if there is an abstention, how is it counted and does it affect the 2/3 target? So the appearance of the deadwood is not really required anyway. The small active group of governors can steer the ship themselves.

I also note that on the two motion items, there have been no posts since noon today.

As well, one might look at the number of governor posters for these two motions, so far:

Motion 6A - 3
    Motion 6B - 3

All posts (19 in total) are by the President and Secretary, except 2.

As Public Relations Coordinator, am I to invite the members/public, on the CFC News Forum, to come and see their governors at work??

Thanks.

Bob A
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 02-19-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Blog Entries

To be fair to the absent governors we have discussed these (almost) exact items on the governors forum and at the last quarterly meeting so perhaps what people want to say has already been said. If a lot of people show up it is usually because they oppose what is being proposed. The proposals need to attain two thirds of the votes cast for and against and at least a simple majority of the total votes cast. One vote for and one vote against with the chair breaking the tie and casting a second vote for would be enough for a measure to pass though that would be a very sad situation. Add one abstention and the hypothetical situation would not be enough to pass.

We should get a healthy majority of the votes cast for this because it should be non-controversial by now. I separated out discipline as a possibly controversial and non-essential area. We will be dealing with some final issues at the next quarterly governors meeting in April after which we will submit this to the government and hopefully have a certificate of continuance before the annual meeting. At that point we might be able to concentrate on doing things that allow us to advance chess in Canada.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 02-20-2014 at 01:47 PM.

I don't want to be fair to the absent Governors; I want to see the Governors at the very least signing in and having a look around,

Blog Entries

Sorry I'm late, been busy trying to a buy a house and working. It's an extremely busy time of year, perhaps starting it at the start rather than end of a weekend would have helped.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Sorry I'm late, been busy trying to a buy a house and working. It's an extremely busy time of year, perhaps starting it at the start rather than end of a weekend would have helped.
    Well you're here now and the numbers are up to a healthier 20 governors and members of the executive. I suspect that we will be up to our usual numbers by the end of the meeting.