Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9. New Business

Hybrid View

Default 9. New Business

Governors, please post items for new business here:

Default WYCC official players selection

Dear Governors,

This year 3 out of 12 CYCC winners were unable to participate at WYCC - probably due to unusual time and place of WYCC.
    We have detailed regulations in the CFC Handbook describing how a replacement should be selected in this case, but I feel that the CFC didn't make sufficient efforts to find a proper replacement for Canadian Champions.
    As a result, in one of 12 sections the official player wasn't qualified for WYCC, and in another section Canada wasn't represented at all!

To avoid similar problems in the future and to make selection process more transparent, I would like to propose the following Motion:

To amend sub paragraph 712 (a) by adding the following sentence:
    If the winner is unable to participate at WYCC, this fact shall be announced on the public CFC Forum as soon as it became known.

The amended sub paragraph 712 (a) shall read:

"712.Participation in the World Events:

INVITED PLAYERS

a) Canadian Youth Chess Championship (CYCC) is a qualifier to international youth chess competitions.

Top 3 finishers in each section are qualified to become official representatives for:

1) World Youth Chess Championship (WYCC);

2) Pan American Youth Chess Championship;

3) North American Youth Chess Championship.

If the winner is unable to participate at WYCC, this fact shall be announced on the public CFC Forum as soon as it became known.
    If the winner is unable to participate, the second place finisher shall be invited to go in his place. If the second place finisher also declines, the highest finisher in the tournament who is willing to participate in the world event (if not rejected by CFC Executive due to the sub paragraph (d)), shall be selected. The CFC Board of Directors shall use an appropriate tie-breaking method to break ties if required to determine the order of finish.

All official representatives to WYCC should receive financial support from CFC to reduce their travel expenses. "

Any seconder?
    Last edited by Michael Barron; 01-05-2014 at 02:05 PM.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Dear Governors,

This year 3 out of 12 CYCC winners were unable to participate at WYCC - probably due to unusual time and place of WYCC.
    We have detailed regulations in the CFC Handbook describing how a replacement should be selected in this case, but I feel that the CFC didn't make sufficient efforts to find a proper replacement for Canadian Champions.
    As a result, in one of 12 sections the official player wasn't qualified for WYCC, and in another section Canada wasn't represented at all!

To avoid similar problems in the future and to make selection process more transparent, I would like to propose the following Motion:

To amend sub paragraph 712 (a) by adding the following sentence:

The amended sub paragraph 712 (a) shall read:

"712.Participation in the World Events:

INVITED PLAYERS

a) Canadian Youth Chess Championship (CYCC) is a qualifier to international youth chess competitions.

Top 3 finishers in each section are qualified to become official representatives for:

1) World Youth Chess Championship (WYCC);

2) Pan American Youth Chess Championship;

3) North American Youth Chess Championship.

If the winner is unable to participate, the second place finisher shall be invited to go in his place. If the second place finisher also declines, the highest finisher in the tournament who is willing to participate in the world event (if not rejected by CFC Executive due to the sub paragraph (d)), shall be selected. The CFC Board of Directors shall use an appropriate tie-breaking method to break ties if required to determine the order of finish.

All official representatives to WYCC should receive financial support from CFC to reduce their travel expenses. "

Any seconder?
    We have already had some discussion on this situation on the governors forum. The situation that this motion seeks to redress would not have been redressed by this motion in the case of this year's team. Someone who is a qualified player by your definition withdraws at the last minute from the team and any replacement player is required to jump through many hoops in order to even be able to go. It is reasonable for people to say that yes they might go to the WYCC early on and then when the time comes to make the actual commitment including fulfilling all of the financial requirements and steps with regard to visas, passports and so on to decide that they can't proceed.

The correct way to undertake this process is to early on send every potential player an email to ascertain their interest in going to WYCC. At this point it would be reasonable for them to say that I will only go if I am the official player. Others might say I will go whether I am the official player or not. At some point you have to ask for a financial commitment to separate those who are serious about going from those who are not. The official player in more than one section changed several times over the course of the months leading up to WYCC as I recall.

Frank Lee has indicated that he plans with the youth committee to develop guidelines which will allow us to make this process more transparent and ordered.

I don't think that it is reasonable to ask the youth coordinator to drop everything and beg players who have previously declined to go to WYCC to go with the official player designation when he is in the middle of jumping through considerable hoops in order to just get the team registered with the organizers and eligible for visas and rooms and everything else that is required to go to WYCC. Maybe I am being unreasonable.

I can second the proposed motion.

I agree, Michael Barron.

I was quite surprised we did not have one single U18 boy this year.
    Instead, we had a lot more than 3 boys participate for their section in the U8, U10 sections.

Remembering my past WYCCs, wasn't it only the top 3 who can even participate in this competition years ago?
    I am not saying that we should continue this rule, it's great to see more people playing for our country, but I personally believe that we should make sure that every section is filled up before allowing extras to come on the team.

In my honest opinion, at least one top person of each category should be filled up (it doesn't matter if they came 4th or 5th, if the others couldn't make it we should just keep going until someone decides to go).

Also, if I go as a coach next year, I will not have any problems being a guardian for anyone 14 years and older. If the budget towards having a family member to come is hectic, the child can use myself or another coach as a guardian. We always want our top placed/rated players go to WYCC - if money (towards their parents) is too expensive and the child is paid for, why not allow them to have a chance by allowing them to have a guardian? I know this used to be quite common in countries like Ukraine, where they would have couple of coaches to a huge amount of children (but guess what? Those kids came alone, without family - coaches were the guardians!)

Just my two cents!
    Last edited by Yelizaveta Orlova; 01-06-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yelizaveta Orlova View Post
    I agree, Michael Barron.

I was quite surprised we did not have one single U18 boy this year.
    Many of the potential U18 open participants are in university or college and the start of WYCC conflicted with the end of their exam period.

Instead, we had a lot more than 3 boys participate for their section in the U8, U10 sections.

Remembering my past WYCCs, wasn't it only the top 3 who can even participate in this competition years ago?
    That is possible but I can't really say as I don't know what the situation was before the recent time period.

I am not saying that we should continue this rule, it's great to see more people playing for our country, but I personally believe that we should make sure that every section is filled up before allowing extras to come on the team.
    The two issues of extra players and having official representatives in each section are not tied together. There is a procedure for non-qualifying individuals to apply to be included in the team as given in the handbook. These rules were added to the handbook by the governors.

In my honest opinion, at least one top person of each category should be filled up (it doesn't matter if they came 4th or 5th, if the others couldn't make it we should just keep going until someone decides to go).
    This is the ideal situation. The problem is that people who decide not to go will not always inform us of that fact until we are very late in the process. This will be a significant problem this year as the WYCC is scheduled to start in Durban, South Africa exactly two months after the end of the CYCC. The WYCC runs from 18-Sep-2014 to 30-Sep-2014. This year the first WYCC deadline for entries was exactly two months before the WYCC began. This year potential players will likely have to make a commitment to go within days or hours of the end of CYCC.

Also, if I go as a coach next year, I will not have any problems being a guardian for anyone 14 years and older. If the budget towards having a family member to come is hectic, the child can use myself or another coach as a guardian.
    Your offer opens up some concerns about questions of liability which would need to be addressed before we could even consider such an arrangement. There are serious concerns next year in the area of security. South Africa is not entirely safe (which is a great understatement). The 2014 WYCC organizers have made assurances that security issues will be addressed.

We always want our top placed/rated players go to WYCC - if money (towards their parents) is too expensive and the child is paid for, why not allow them to have a chance by allowing them to have a guardian? I know this used to be quite common in countries like Ukraine, where they would have couple of coaches to a huge amount of children (but guess what? Those kids came alone, without family - coaches were the guardians!)

Just my two cents!
    I suspect that the cost of required clearances and insurance would be quite high for such an arrangement here in Canada and it might mean that no sane person would be willing to serve on the Executive (or board assuming we make the transition to the new NFP Act) as they would have to bear the financial risk of such an arrangement.

Will a separate thread be started for this motion?

Blog Entries

A separate thread will be started at the next meeting in April.

Are you not allowing this motion to come to a vote at this meeting?

Blog Entries

I am making a ruling that discussion and a vote on this motion shall be deferred to the April meeting. By that time I hope the requirements, timelines and deadlines for registering for WYCC 2014 will be more clear and we will have a better idea of how to proceed with the implementation of this new rule, in the event that it is accepted by the governors. The time between determination of the WYCC champions and the need for the champions and all other prospective players to commit to going is likely to be quite short. It is possible that the deadline for registering for WYCC may be before the end of the CYCC if this year's organizers have a deadline similar to last year's which was two months before the scheduled start of WYCC.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast