Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 9. New Business

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Thank you, Vlad!

Who will be responsible for updating information about 2014 NAYCC selection process on the CFC website?
    Is this your way of volunteering for the job?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    I've felt for more than 20 years that allowing players to play in a qualification tournament for which they are ineligible to play should they win is grossly unfair to those who play hoping to qualify.

If my chances to play at a higher level are frustrated by a loss to someone who goes forward instead of me, fair is fair - but to be eliminated by someone who isn't able to take the place I'm fighting for has always seemed wrong to me.

To be blunt - I feel strongly that being eligible to play in the next higher level tournament should the player win ought to be a basic qualification to play in a qualifying event.
    One way around this would be to move the CYCC to an earlier date as Michael Barron and others have suggested. This is only a problem where the tournaments which people are qualifying for fall in the next calendar year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Apparently these dates conflict with Ontario high school exams. The Pan Am YCC conflicts with CYCC.
    Dates for NAYCC: June 12-16, 2014.

It should be possible for any qualifier to obtain permission to write exams early. Application to the school Principal would have to be made at least by May 1, in order that there be sufficient time for teachers to arrange alternative examinations and for administration to be arranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Is this your way of volunteering for the job?
    If you wish...

Just to make it clear:
    I believe, it's the Youth Coordinator's responsibility.
    But he can delegate this responsibility to me - together with appropriate authority.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    I got the email:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Michael,

Since you are active in CFC Governor meeting can you point out that Toronto
    FIDE Master Yuanchen Zhang has two FIDE ID numbers:

The first number has his title and rating, should be kept.
    The Hart House Christmas Open is showing on FIDE site with his wrong
    ID number, presumably should be fixed to his real ID number as it now
    shows him as unrated and impacts other players who played him.
    (see attached image)

If these issues are not fixed, the errors will multiply exponentially and eventually
    years later CFC administration spends all the time fixing mistakes instead of providing
    originally intended service. By that time the person who caused the problems no longer
    works there and somebody else takes the blame.

If you post please keep my name out of it, just say a player pointed it out to you.
    Personally I would also ask who is supposed to audit for these errors as there may be
    more of them. Where there is one error, there are how many more we simply do not know.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could we fix it?
    I have sent Michael von Keitz an email asking him to fix this with the whole message quoted.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456