Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7D. Seniors Memberships (Barron / Armstrong)

Default 7D. Seniors Memberships (Barron / Armstrong)

Moved by Michael Barron, seconded by Bob Armstrong:

"Add to the CFC Handbook after paragraph 9 in By-Law Number One:

10. Any person ordinarily resident in Canada who has reached the age of 65 by January 1st of the current year, shall be granted a Senior membership.
    Replace the next paragraph:

10. The Per Capita Fee for Ordinary Members shall be $36 per Annum, $24 for Junior Members, $12 for Participating Members, and $18 for Family Members;provided that these fees may be changed by the Assembly of Governors by ordinary resolution.

by the following paragraph:
    11. The Per Capita Fee for Ordinary Members shall be $36 per Annum, $24 for Junior and Senior Members, and $18 for Family Members, provided that these fees may be changed by the Assembly of Governors by ordinary resolution.
    Re-number remaining paragraphs accordingly."

I don't think the CFC has accurate age data but I'm going to make an assumption that 10% of our members are over 65. That would be about 180 senior players. Nationally, according to the last census there are just over 5 million seniors out of 34 million for a proportion of 15% but in chess, youth seems over-represented.
    If my assumption is correct, the cost to the CFC of this motion would be 180 x $12 per year = $2,160. This might be offset somewhat by an increase in senior membership resulting from the $12 saving in dues.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

You would have to subtract those seniors who are already Life members - not sure how many that would affect.

While not against the theory as such, I want to point out that date of birth would have to be submitted with any membership.

This has been a problem with some junior organizers who collected junior memberships both without address information and/or date of birth. These organizers have completely failed to grasp that the whole point of the CFC granting free rating fees and no membership charges in junior events is to give the CFC the ability to market to their parents. (This was more of an issue when we were in the books & equipment business). When talking to some of these organizers I got major "attitude" from some of them who felt that it was obvious they were juniors as it was a junior event - whereas from the CFC's point of view the whole proof of how useful this program was was how many of these kids are still playing in events as young adults.

Obviously that's not a factor with seniors but no question we would need to be extremely strict with directors who took type "S" memberships without date of birth info.

Blog Entries

I can't support this. We have only wild guesses as to how much this might cost the CFC, and we don't even have wilder guesses as to how many more seniors might join with a cut in membership fee.

My question for the movers is: If in fact no new seniors do join, from which budget item do you propose to take away the potentially thousands of dollars in losses from this motion?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Default Senior Membership Growth - a Given!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    My question for the movers is: If in fact no new seniors do join, from which budget item do you propose to take away the potentially thousands of dollars in losses from this motion?
    Hi Chris:

I seconded this very positive motion to expand our membership into that mega-boomer population, that now has both the time and money to play chess.

What you suggest - not one senior joining in 2014 is a straw man - not going to happen.

And as Paul posted, and his projections seem reasonable, it will likely be a wash for CFC financially at least. I personally project many new senior members, especially ones on lower-income, which is the case for many Canadian seniors, women more than men.

Bob

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Chris:

I seconded this very positive motion to expand our membership into that mega-boomer population, that now has both the time and money to play chess.

What you suggest - not one senior joining in 2014 is a straw man - not going to happen.

And as Paul posted, and his projections seem reasonable, it will likely be a wash for CFC financially at least. I personally project many new senior members, especially ones on lower-income, which is the case for many Canadian seniors, women more than men.

Bob
    Paul never actually posted saying it would be a wash.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Paul never actually posted saying it would be a wash.
    Hi Chris:

Re-read it - you are right. He implied any financial loss to CFC was trivial, and it might well sell Senior Memberships (right interpretation Paul?).

Bob A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Chris:

Re-read it - you are right. He implied any financial loss to CFC was trivial, and it might well sell Senior Memberships (right interpretation Paul?).

Bob A
    I did not read that the financial loss would be trivial. I read that the financial loss would be approximately $2160 based on certain assumptions. If we don't find incremental revenue to counteract the loss then we would have a $2160 deficit relative to what it would be without the price cut. For the decrease in price to be offset by the increased revenues you would need 90 new senior members based on 180 current senior members as Paul estimated or a 50% increase. We would have to lose one or two governors since I assume that the number of governors based on senior membership would be prorated as they are for junior members.

The actual result will depend on the price elasticity of demand for CFC memberships.

I didn't say that $2160 minus any fees from new seniors was trivial. I was only trying to introduce at least a rough estimate of the cost to the discussion.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast