Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7C, Life Memberships (Mallon / Zeromskis)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Field View Post
    Keeping it simple is best.
    I feel that Chris M's motion would make it extremely complex for everyone - for the applicant trying to understand what he or she owes, for the admin.
    I fail to understand how this is in any way complicated? It is exactly the same as normal annual memberships.

The last Ontario resident who purchased a life membership was instructed by the CFC office to mail a cheque to me directly... with no follow up on whether or not that was actually done, and in fact without even notifying me that that was what they were instructing.

At least, that's the last one I know about...

Is that way less complicated than my proposal?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Many years ago Ontario sold Provincial life memberships to CFC life members. I purchased one at the time but I doubt if any records were kept.
    Les Bunning

I believe that the best way to handle this would be to add a small fee to any life membership sold , say $20-$40 . This fee would be remitted to the provincial association where the member resides at that time and then there would be no further requirement for the member to pay any provincial membership fee.
    Les Bunning

I would have to agree. BC's fee structure means they would charge a surcharge for rating fees regardless of whether a player if a life member. The same is true in the rest of Canada. Players have to pay the CFC rating fees regardless of Life memberships.

As far as I can tell, making the provincial portion of life membership fees proportional to the provincial portion of annual membership fees is perfectly logical. If anything, the BC model will come out ahead if the player remains active more than 10 years.

Les, your number is too low. I would assume that provincial associations would want a proportional value of the CFC life membership.

For example if annual fees in Ontario are $36CFC +$12OCA = $48, and CFC Life Memberships for 31-40 are $540, then Chris would expect $540*$12/$36 = $180 be charged for OCA life membership.

The system would have to be proportionally rated. Otherwise I could imagine one provincial organization charging MUCH more than another province for Life memberships.

The other concern I have with this concept is that the CFC puts life memberships in a fund and uses the interest to fund operations, a sensible approach. I have misgivings over whether the provincial associations would manage it as well.

Default OCA Life Membership - Calculation (existing)

Hi Garland:

I also bought, late on, an OCA Life Membership. At the time I applied, there was great confusion - no one had wanted one for years. I think I paid 10 years ago about $ 60. And I believe there is a formula for calculating the OCA Life membership against the cost of the CFC Life membership, in either the CFC Handbook, or the OCA Constitution/Bylaws. The OCA used it to give me the fee to pay.

Bob A

Blog Entries

I am pretty sure that OCA membership is somewhere in the range of $7. CFC and OCA membership for an Ontario player is approximately $49 including HST.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 01-07-2014 at 03:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    The system would have to be proportionally rated. Otherwise I could imagine one provincial organization charging MUCH more than another province for Life memberships.
    It is in fact up to the provinces to decide on their membership fees, not for the CFC to dictate what any fee should be. For example, the Ontario youth fee is not proportional to the adult fee.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

That's true - but at the same time the CFC collects provincial dues and remits them quarterly. That's the primary benefit provincial affiliates get from affiliation.

Back in 1987 I paid $750 for my CFC / BCCF life dues - it was shortly after my 31st birthday and was my present to myself that year. The division was roughly 2/3-1/3 which would make Les' guesstimate quite low. At the time both CFC and BCCF were producing print magazines. BC had 25 life provincial members - so far as I know the only deceased on the current list is Mr Prentice so I'd be surprised if Ontario only had that few given I would suspect the ratio of life members to regular members would be similar in both provinces.

At this point I would have to have some assurance that this motion would pass NCF requirements before I could support it - I'm more interested in the compliance certificate than any particular proposal no matter how worthy until I am sure it passes the NCF test and I haven't yet had time to re-read the regulations to assure myself on this.

[QUOTE=Lyle Craver;23814]What Chris says would make a lot of sense IF all provincial associations currently offer life memberships.
    I'm not familiar with all province's practices but as BCCF provincial secretary can tell you definitively that BC did (and did when I paid mine) but does not now.
    Given BC's current financial model depends on all members paying on a per tournament basis the proposed motion would have the effect of working directly against BC's interests. (And I say that as one who voted against the current provincial fee structure)

This is the complication I am trying to address.
    Not all provinces / territories have active associations.
    Associations which exist have different policies and even change their policies over time.

Bob A says he paid $60 as a life membership fee to OCAS 10 years ago.
    I bought my CFC life membership maybe 11 years ago, and was not charged any fee for OCA.
    Maybe with 10 years' inflation, an appropriate fee would be $70.

Why not collect an additional cross-Canada provincial / territorial fee of $70 straight, on top of any life membership fee.
    This keeps it simple, and equal to all across the Dominion of Canada.
    Remit this fee to the provincial / territorial association with the regular quarterly remittance.
    If not such association exists, remit to Chess Foundation along with CFC fee. Keep record.
    If the given member moves to a province or territory which has an active association, remit the given fee to that association; if the member does not move, but the province / territory of residence subsequently forms or reactivates its association, remit the fee.
    This would be fair to all associations.
    In the absence of an active association, it would add to the interest / dividends earned by the Foundation.

Yes, it would require removing the right of a provincial / territorial association to set a life membership fee for itself.

But it would remove a very obvious problem where provincial life memberships may or may not exist, and where even existing ones have not been effectively administered since the CFC was not required to collect these fees.
    It very much simplifies the process: the same fee is collected from every person residing in any part of the Dominion of Canada.
    It provides a fair fee to each active association.
    Where no active association exists, it would begin to provide funds which would assist a new or revived association in the future.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast