Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5. Executive Reports

Thank you Michael for your kind words.

With regard to Team Captains, I expect that we will follow the handbook:

d) Acceptance of players:

Players who agree to participate on the Team shall notify the CFC of their participation no later than 120 days before the start of the Olympiad.

e) Nominations for Team Captains:

All nominations for Team Captains shall be submitted no later than 105 days before the start of the Olympiad.

f) Election of Team Captains:

The players shall submit their votes for Team Captains no later than 90 days before the start of the Olympiad.

To the extent that I can influence the process, I believe we should strive to have our delegation named ASAP in order for our membership to rally behind our teams.

Thank you, Hal, for prompt response!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    e) Nominations for Team Captains:

All nominations for Team Captains shall be submitted no later than 105 days before the start of the Olympiad.
    Could you please clarify:
    Who could nominate Team Captains?
    What is a procedure of nomination?
    May I nominate someone now, at this Meeting?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Thank you, Hal, for prompt response!
    Could you please clarify:
    Who could nominate Team Captains?
    What is a procedure of nomination?
    May I nominate someone now, at this Meeting?
    I think that you can nominate someone at this meeting. It is more than 105 days before the start of the Olympiad.

Default Olympiad Team Captains Nominations

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I think that you can nominate someone at this meeting. It is more than 105 days before the start of the Olympiad.
    Thank you, Vlad!

I think, we should consider for Team Captains positions people who do volunteer work for the CFC.
    Specifically, for National Team Captain - Olympiad Coordinator, and for Women Team Captain - Women Coordinator.
    I believe, we don't currently have official Olympiad Coordinator - his duties are divided among several people, the most instrumental from them is our FIDE Delegate Hal Bond.
    But Hal will be present at the Olympiad in different capacity - as Canadian FIDE Delegate, not National Team Captain.

So, I would like to nominate:
    Ilia Bluvshtein - for National Team Captain position, and
    Yelizaveta Orlova - for Women Team Captain position.

Of course, they could accept or decline the nomination...
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Thank you, Vlad!

I think, we should consider for Team Captains positions people who do volunteer work for the CFC.
    Specifically, for National Team Captain - Olympiad Coordinator, and for Women Team Captain - Women Coordinator.
    I believe, we don't currently have official Olympiad Coordinator - his duties are divided among several people, the most instrumental from them is our FIDE Delegate Hal Bond.
    But Hal will be present at the Olympiad in different capacity - as Canadian FIDE Delegate, not National Team Captain.

So, I would like to nominate:
    Ilia Bluvshtein - for National Team Captain position, and
    Yelizaveta Orlova - for Women Team Captain position.

Of course, they could accept or decline the nomination...
    I thought you had someone who already wanted the position. I don't think that you should nominate someone who has not indicated a willingness to serve in that capacity. I would expect that Liza would be more interested in being a player given the opportunity. Anyone nominated preferably by themselves will become a candidate for the position. There is at least one more strong candidate with the possibility of a second that I am aware of.

We have to comply with past motions, handbook bylaws and possible requirements of any sponsorship deal. The players wishes will also play a significant role in the choice of captain(s).

Sorry, but I'm somewhat confused by this discussion.

The CFC handbook states the following:

908. Selection of Team Captains

The Team Captains shall be selected by the players on each Team, as follows:

a) For each Team, the CFC Executive shall nominate up to three candidates for Team Captain. In addition, each player may nominate one candidate for Captain of their team.

b) All nominations must be made submitted no later than 105 days before the start of the Olympiad.

c) The players on each team shall then vote to determine the Captain of their Team. Each player may vote for up to three candidates: the player’s first choice counts as three votes; the second choice counts as two votes; and the third choice counts as one vote. The candidate with the most votes becomes Team Captain.

d) All votes for Team Captains must be cast and submitted no later than 90 days before the start of the Olympiad.

Team Captains fill a specific role at Olympiads. They are sort of like coaches of hockey teams. They decide which players play and which players sit out. They organize their line-ups based on who they think could best defeat the opposing player. It is a specific skill set.

As such, shouldn't the role be selected based on who we think have the best skills for that job? Michael's nominees do not seem to have been selected on that basis. His wording implies that he thinks this should be a reward for being a CFC volunteer. I don't agree. At any rate they are not valid, according to the handbook.
    Last edited by Garland Best; 01-12-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Blog Entries

There is a procedure and it will be followed but in order to nominate candidates we do need to know who is interested. At the moment we have one individual who has expressed a strong interest. His submission has been very positively received by the executive and based on preliminary discussions is likely to be positively received by the players.

A second individual has put forward his name while I was preparing this reply.

The procedure for choosing the team captain was changed at the January 2013 special online meeting.

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...Kim-Rekhson)-I

1) 904 (f) In title alter "Election" to "Appointment" .... Delete "The players shall submit their votes for Team Captains" and replace by "The Team Captain will be appointed"

2) 908 Selection of Team Captains

(a) For each team the CFC Executive will receive applications from interested individuals.

(b) Applications must be received by 105 days before the start of the Olympiad.

(c) The best candidate for the position(s) will be chosen by the executive or a sub-committee, taking into account the duties of the captains as outlined in 913.

3) 913 Add (b) Aiding with game analysis and preparation for upcoming opponents. Reorder other sections.

Default Handbook Updating System?

Hi Vlad:

Is no one now immediately updating the Website Handbook after each Governors' Meeting passing motions affecting the Handbook?

When I was Chairing the committee responsible, I found a volunteer member to do that - Kerry Liles. We kept the Handbook right up to date, likely for the first time in CFC history!

When I resigned as Chair of that committee, Kerry then was supervised by CFC Treasurer, Fred McKim.

Has that system again broken down now?

Bob

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Vlad:

Is no one now immediately updating the Website Handbook after each Governors' Meeting passing motions affecting the Handbook?

When I was Chairing the committee responsible, I found a volunteer member to do that - Kerry Liles. We kept the Handbook right up to date, likely for the first time in CFC history!

When I resigned as Chair of that committee, Kerry then was supervised by CFC Treasurer, Fred McKim.

Has that system again broken down now?

Bob
    Yes. We are broken again. Volunteers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    There is a procedure and it will be followed but in order to nominate candidates we do need to know who is interested. At the moment we have one individual who has expressed a strong interest. His submission has been very positively received by the executive and based on preliminary discussions is likely to be positively received by the players.

A second individual has put forward his name while I was preparing this reply.

The procedure for choosing the team captain was changed at the January 2013 special online meeting.

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...Kim-Rekhson)-I

1) 904 (f) In title alter "Election" to "Appointment" .... Delete "The players shall submit their votes for Team Captains" and replace by "The Team Captain will be appointed"

2) 908 Selection of Team Captains

(a) For each team the CFC Executive will receive applications from interested individuals.

(b) Applications must be received by 105 days before the start of the Olympiad.

(c) The best candidate for the position(s) will be chosen by the executive or a sub-committee, taking into account the duties of the captains as outlined in 913.

3) 913 Add (b) Aiding with game analysis and preparation for upcoming opponents. Reorder other sections.
    Thank you, Vlad!

This is what I want to clarify.
    Could you please announce the deadline for Team Captains applications this year?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast