Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5. Executive Reports

Michael,

Thank you for showing interest in youth chess. The Youth Committee is not working at this time. It appears the last Youth Committee was a little dysfunctional. I have been trying to gather information on what happened. I have drafted a Code of Conduct for the meetings in hopes of controlling the meetings.
    I am also thinking to have a small committee consisting of 5 to 6 people across Canada. I was hoping to form the committee with parents and not CFC Governors since the Governors would vote and comment any major proposals. This would take away the politics in the committee process. Finding 5 to 6 people representing regions across Canada on the committee who are not Governors may not possible.
    If I am not mistaken you were part of the last Youth Committee. I would be interested to get some history and ideas you have for the Youth Committee.

I attached the a copy of the WYCC budget and final tally put together by Andrew Giblon. I would like to take this opportunity to thanks Andrew for his dedication and outstanding work as HoD in this year's WYCC (and pevious WYCC's).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Thank you, Vlad!

This is what I want to clarify.
    Could you please announce the deadline for Team Captains applications this year?
    See Hal Bond's post on Chesstalk and the public forum for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    See Hal Bond's post on Chesstalk and the public forum for details.
    Michael should go to the CFC website and read complete schedule. It is really amazes me that Governors create/discuss/vote on all those Handbook clauses but clauses just collect electrons (dust).

"904. Timing
    The following schedule is to be followed in determining the composition of the National Delegation. Each scheduled step shall be completed before the next step is taken. The implementation of this schedule shall be supervised by the Olympiad Coordinator. Once FIDE has announced the dates of the next Olympiad, the CFC shall post the dates of the CFC Olympiad schedule on the CFC website."
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
    Michael,

Thank you for showing interest in youth chess. The Youth Committee is not working at this time. It appears the last Youth Committee was a little dysfunctional. I have been trying to gather information on what happened. I have drafted a Code of Conduct for the meetings in hopes of controlling the meetings.
    I am also thinking to have a small committee consisting of 5 to 6 people across Canada. I was hoping to form the committee with parents and not CFC Governors since the Governors would vote and comment any major proposals. This would take away the politics in the committee process. Finding 5 to 6 people representing regions across Canada on the committee who are not Governors may not possible.
    Frank,

Thank you for clarification!
    As you see, your approach simply doesn't work - please try something different...

If I am not mistaken you were part of the last Youth Committee. I would be interested to get some history and ideas you have for the Youth Committee.
    Not sure what you mean by "the last Youth Committee"...
    I was Youth Coordinator in 2009-2011, and during my tenure the Youth Committee was very active and it was a huge help for me.
    During these 2 years we have accomplished a lot:
    were developed and approved current CYCC rules,
    was implemented current CYCC qualification system,
    participation in youth tournaments increased at all levels - from local events to CYCC and WYCC,
    we had our first WYCC medal in 2009 and first World Champion in 2010,
    we organized the best ever CYCC in 2011...
    All this was accomplished thanks to the volunteers working on the Youth Committee!

After I left the office, the Youth Committee really became dysfunctional - the role and usefulness of the Youth Committee depends on the Youth Coordinator's approach very much...

So, the ideas I have for the Youth Committee:
    Please make it open for everybody - parents, coaches, organizers, Governors...
    The more people - the better!
    Everybody who is willing to help is welcome!
    Let the people do what they are willing to do for the benefit of Canadian chess - delegate authority and responsibility.
    If rule change is necessary - the Youth Committee could discuss the change and prepare the Motion.
    In this process Governors on the Youth Committee are necessary.
    The more work will be done by the Youth Committee - the less stress will be on the Youth Coordinator.
    Only together we can make the difference!
    Last edited by Michael Barron; 01-13-2014 at 10:57 PM.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

I attached the a copy of the WYCC budget and final tally put together by Andrew Giblon. I would like to take this opportunity to thanks Andrew for his dedication and outstanding work as HoD in this year's WYCC (and pevious WYCC's).
    Thank you, Frank, for presenting the WYCC budget!

Let's skip minor mistakes to avoid nitpicking, but we need to clarify the whole picture:
    What is the current state of the CFC Youth Fund?
    What was the Youth Fund balance before 2013 CYCC?
    What it's now?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Thank you, Frank, for presenting the WYCC budget!

Let's skip minor mistakes to avoid nitpicking, but we need to clarify the whole picture:
    What is the current state of the CFC Youth Fund?
    What was the Youth Fund balance before 2013 CYCC?
    What it's now?
    The youth fund balance before 2013 CYCC was negative with a loss the previous year of over $4000 according to the report I saw last year, though some of that loss was the CFC memberships not collected at the 2012 CYCC. We are still tallying receipts for this year's WYCC. Based on the budget presented here the situation improved to the tune of nine thousand and ninety seven dollars and this does not yet incorporate the YCCs that took place this fiscal year.

The budget is a little confusing in that the $6000 holdover which I insisted on was shown as part of the expenses.

I have made enquiries which should allow me to answer these questions more fully once they are answered.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 01-14-2014 at 05:59 PM.

The youth fund balance before 2013 CYCC was negative with a loss the previous year of over $4000 according to the report I saw last year...
    Vlad,
    Hopefully, you would agree that the transparency is especially important in financial matters.
    Thankfully, we all can see CFC Financial statements on the CFC website:
    http://chess.ca/sites/default/files/fiscal-2013.pdf

As we can see in the Note 3 on page 6, the balance of the CFC Youth Fund at the end of the last fiscal year (April 30, 2013) was $7,402.

Based on the budget presented here the situation improved to the tune of nine thousand and ninety seven dollars and this does not yet incorporate the YCCs that took place this fiscal year.
    That's why I'm asking about the current state of the CFC Youth Fund.

I have made enquiries which should allow me to answer these questions more fully once they are answered.
    Thank you, Vlad!
    Such answers would improve transparency of the CFC operations.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Vlad,
    Hopefully, you would agree that the transparency is especially important in financial matters.
    Thankfully, we all can see CFC Financial statements on the CFC website:
    http://chess.ca/sites/default/files/fiscal-2013.pdf

As we can see in the Note 3 on page 6, the balance of the CFC Youth Fund at the end of the last fiscal year (April 30, 2013) was $7,402.
    I missed that. In that case, we should be at approximately $16,500 plus whatever was raised by YCC's.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123