Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5. Executive Reports

Hybrid View

Default 5. Executive Reports

Executive members please post your reports in this section with a new thread labelled 5A, 5B etc.

Just a note: this is the second day of the meeting (Jan 6), and I still see no executive reports here. Should they not all have been posted on or before day 1?
    Christopher Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Field View Post
    Just a note: this is the second day of the meeting (Jan 6), and I still see no executive reports here. Should they not all have been posted on or before day 1?
    Christopher Field.
    I agree with Chris that this should be made an executive policy for these meetings.

Bob A

A large part of this is my fault - I did the meeting setup later than usual (Saturday morning) with setting up the starter message for each thread. The meeting is easier to follow if the agenda items are posted in order - I'd prefer to have the agenda items in sequence as Governors tell me it is easier to follow that way but that means the threads can only be set up once the agenda is more or less set. I would love not to be the starter of every thread but one of the peculiarities of the software is that if you delete the first message in a thread you delete the whole thread.

What this means is that to get all the reports in quickly you have to freeze the agenda early and the January meeting is always tricky to set up since the work you folks don't see gets done between Christmas and New Year. I say again - while I support what Chris and Bob say on reports, it necessarily requires freezing the agenda earlier than is now the case.

I had planned on holding off with my report until others had posted theirs but the key points for me have been reading and re-reading the NFP regulations trying to figure out how best to satisfy Ottawa's demands on governance without giving away too much of the things we hold dear as a Federation. I'll tell you now it isn't easy and I'm not at all happy with some of what is being required of us.

Another area where Governors need to pay attention is on their own CFC memberships as some don't stay on top of their personal membership status. I'm a life member so my membership expires when I do but each quarter there are usually 5-10 Governors needing to renew with about double that number needing to before the next meeting in April. I do NOT believe in "name 'em and shame 'em" but from the numbers some kind of reminder is needed.

However no question about it - obtaining the Clearance Certificate from Ottawa on the new NFP act has got to be super-high on our list of priorities - without it there is the possibility of dissolution and there can be no thought of any application for Sports Association status. (In fairness to the Governors, it should be pointed out that the federal government is actively trying to reduce the number of charitable and quasi-charitable associations so this is going to be an upward climb for us and is unlikely to be satisfied quickly - but the NFP Clearance simply has to be done)

The bottom line is we need a clear Governor consensus on the key NFP issues by the close of this meeting - we do NOT want to be in "time trouble" with Industry Canada and the Canada Revenue Agency!

I have more to say on this but will save it to agenda item 8 on this subject.

The lack of executive reports is of concern. They have an obligation to brief Governors at these meetings. Given that the Governors meetings happen on a quarterly basis, reporting 4 times a year should be anything but onerous.

Default FIDE Delegate's Report

FIDE Report – January 2014
    Congratulations to World Champion Harmony Zhu, HOD Andrew Giblon and the Canadian Team at the 2013 WYCC. This was our largest delegation ever and the challenges were many.
    The 2014 Olympiad will be early this year – the Arctic town of Tromso, Norway will be hosting us from August 1-14. The CFC Executive is now in the process of appointing our Selection Committee. Funding our teams is always a challenge and this year we are fortunate enough to be pursuing a sponsorship arrangement which will see our players paid a modest stipend and bonuses based performance. If we can stay the course, Canada will field its strongest teams ever.
    The flip side of this agreement is that the CFC must commit to sending both teams. Traditional fundraising is underway, albeit in its early stages. Donations are not tax receiptable but may qualify as a business expense for proprietors. Anyone wishing to stage a fundraiser for the Olympiad is encouraged to contact the CFC Office. In past years, ”Olympic Waive” events have provided an opportunity for new players and other non-members to play for rating without purchasing a CFC membership.
    After some delay, pins and certificates for Arbiter titles earned last year are en route to Canada this week. It is encouraging to see Arbiters continuing to pursue a FIDE licence, most of whom are National Arbiters.
    Although this report is rather short, FIDE’s growth will continue to affect its member Federations. There will be more to report at the next Governors' meeting.
    Respectably submitted
    Hal Bond
    FIDE Zone President and Delegate, Canada

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    The 2014 Olympiad will be early this year – the Arctic town of Tromso, Norway will be hosting us from August 1-14. The CFC Executive is now in the process of appointing our Selection Committee. Funding our teams is always a challenge and this year we are fortunate enough to be pursuing a sponsorship arrangement which will see our players paid a modest stipend and bonuses based performance. If we can stay the course, Canada will field its strongest teams ever.
    The flip side of this agreement is that the CFC must commit to sending both teams. Traditional fundraising is underway, albeit in its early stages. Donations are not tax receiptable but may qualify as a business expense for proprietors. Anyone wishing to stage a fundraiser for the Olympiad is encouraged to contact the CFC Office. In past years, ”Olympic Waive” events have provided an opportunity for new players and other non-members to play for rating without purchasing a CFC membership.
    This is very exciting news. My own feeling is that sending both teams is a requirement that we should always strive to meet if we want to be taken seriously on the international level.

I have received the following report from Junior Coordinator Frank Lee:

WYCC

This year we had a large (41 players and 4 coaches) and successful delegation go to the WYCC in AL Ain, UAE. Congratulations to Harmony Zhu for winning Gold in the U8 Girls with a score 9/11. You can see the final results of all the players by following this link:

http://www.chess-results.com/tnr1195...flag=30&wi=821

The delegation had a bit of a scary start as families and players headed for the UAE just before the start of the tournament since the tournament organisers had not secured the entry visas that some of the delegation members required and there was a mad scramble by the organisers to upload copies of the visas to their website. The first wave of visas uploaded to the Canada area on the website was for players from Egypt, China, and Mongolia. Eventually we managed to get everyone that required a visa a soft copy by email before they departed. Unfortunately some people had long delays entering the UAE with soft copy visas but everyone arrived safe and sound.

I hope people have noticed the 2013 WYCC Team Web Page (http://2013wycc.blogspot.ca/ ) that I asked Michael to add to the CFC homepage. I hope to keep this a permanent site for all WYCCs going forward. Some governors were concerned with the flow of information about players who were invited, extra players, the coaches, etc. We can use this site post this information after the CYCC for players, parents and governors to view. I hope to develop the site where we can post procedures, job descriptions for HoD, coaches, etc. for all to view. In the future I would like to use the website to attract potential sponsors.

Another process I would the develop is an “application” form to all WYCC qualified player at the end of the CYCC and all other CYCC players an “application” to be an additional player. The form will have information about WYCC, CFC procedures and rules, checklist (things you need like a passport or renew your passport), request for information (name, address, phone contacts, emails, etc) and “hard” deadlines. I hope to inform all parents/players of the CFC procedures and receive updated contact info so every player has a fair chance to participate. I would to use the Youth Committee to refine the form contents.

Youth Committee

I have run into some difficulties in recruiting past members to restart the Youth Committee. These past members found the last Youth Committee was ineffective and hostile. Unfortunately some have outright declined due to their past experience. I have drafted a Code of Conduct which includes a code where any issues discussed in the Youth Committee cannot be commented on any media outside of the Youth Committee. Hopefully I can convince some people to return to the Youth Committee so we do not have to start scratch.
    Some objectives for the Youth Committee would be:
    • WYCC website development
    • procedures for the WYCC (give out application forms for qualified players with/without trophies and additional player forms to all other CYCC players at the completion of the CYCC)
    • attracting sponsors for the WYCC delegation
    • the possibility for have two Youth Coordinators – one to handle the international events/issues and one to handle domestic events/issues
    • National Coaching Program

The National Coaching Program

I am having trouble getting a copy of the original proposal. So if anyone has a copy please forward to me. I would to get the Youth Committee to discuss and lay out a plan going forward. We will need to define the coaching qualifications and the player participation requirements. From my discussions will various people who are more familiar with the proposal my main concern is sustaining any Coaching Program will require a reliable source of funding going forward.

Thank you, Frank, for your report!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Youth Committee

I have run into some difficulties in recruiting past members to restart the Youth Committee. These past members found the last Youth Committee was ineffective and hostile. Unfortunately some have outright declined due to their past experience. I have drafted a Code of Conduct which includes a code where any issues discussed in the Youth Committee cannot be commented on any media outside of the Youth Committee. Hopefully I can convince some people to return to the Youth Committee so we do not have to start scratch.
    Could you please clarify:
    Is the Youth Committee working or not?
    Who are on the Youth Committee?
    How the Youth Committee was formed? Is it your personal appointments or members of the Youth Committee should be elected by the Governors at the AGM - like for others CFC Committees?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Michael,

Thank you for showing interest in youth chess. The Youth Committee is not working at this time. It appears the last Youth Committee was a little dysfunctional. I have been trying to gather information on what happened. I have drafted a Code of Conduct for the meetings in hopes of controlling the meetings.
    I am also thinking to have a small committee consisting of 5 to 6 people across Canada. I was hoping to form the committee with parents and not CFC Governors since the Governors would vote and comment any major proposals. This would take away the politics in the committee process. Finding 5 to 6 people representing regions across Canada on the committee who are not Governors may not possible.
    If I am not mistaken you were part of the last Youth Committee. I would be interested to get some history and ideas you have for the Youth Committee.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast