Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8. POLICY DISCUSSION - Canada Revenue Agency NFP (Not For Profit Regulations)

I would agree with this. Someone needs to take ownership.

Any volunteers? I'm not well versed on such matters, it looks like we need at least someone with legal experience.
    Last edited by Garland Best; 10-08-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries

I like Bob's idea, except rather than two options to choose from, there should be the minimum (which should be approved no question basically) and then a series of options that can be added to it (some may be related).
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Chris' suggestion makes good sense to me.

I think the important thing now is to be moving forward. Inertia serves nobody's interests.

What I privately suggested to Vlad before the meeting was (1) that we hash this out with a full discussion at this meeting (2) that he call for volunteers or failing that "volunteer" volunteers with a view to making a report at the January quarterly meeting and (3) either amended or otherwise go to a vote in the April meeting. That would give us 6 months to deal with this with lots of time before the deadline.

Leaving it to the AGM invited the "Great God Murphy" (the one with the law) to get involved and any later is unthinkable to me.

Fact is I haven't decided what I think the best model is. I take exception to what Garland said about the Life Governors - not all of them are active and when they are they contribute they do so positively. What I'm trying to avoid is a scenario where they're unceremoniously dumped without our thanks - I have a certificate issued by my provincial government that says "Permanent Certificate" that about 5 years ago they said meant only permanent if I pay $35 / year for the privilege and am still angry about this. My international arbiter title seems to be headed that direction as well.

It's fine when Humpty Dumpty in Through the Looking Glass says: 'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.' but that's not good governance.

Blog Entries

Anyone who is interested in serving on the second committee dealing with the NFP act should let me know either at this meeting or via email. Lyle's timeline and milestones seem prudent. I don't think there is much time to dilly dally.

I'm on board with pretty much any policy discussion that gets this done in April. I think it would be a serious error to leave it to the AGM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12