Moved / Seconded Garland Best / David Gordon

"Be it resolved that any member of the CFC Executive be ineligible to bid for any paid positions with the CFC for a period of 1 year after leaving office."

COMMENTARY:

I wish to propose it for the following reason. About a year ago Michael von Keitz resigned from the CFC presidency in order to bid for the position of Executive Director. Now I have great respect for the work Michael did as CFC President and would have applauded if he had continued in this role. I am also not arguing over whether or not his bid was the best bid, nor am I making any comments regarding his skills as Executive Director.

My point is that whether or not there was a ACTUAL conflict of interest in the bidding process, there certaintly was the APPEARANCE of a conflict of interest. For the outside it looked highly suspicious that Michael was awarded the contract by the same persons he worked so closely with. It also appeared opportunistic.

By having a 1 year gap between a member of the executive leaving office and that same person bidding on a position, we minimize the conflict of interest issue without permanently excluding them from future employment with the CFC.

I'm also limiting it to the Executive, as while I think excluding all Governors would be even better, I also recognize that the pool of persons suitable for working for the CFC is limited and the Governors would nake up a significant fraction of this pool of talent.