Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5. Executive Reports

Default 5. Executive Reports

Executive members please post your reports in this section with a new thread labelled 5A, 5B etc.

Blog Entries

Treasurer's Report: I have been involved with Frank and Vlad on some budgeting issues for the WYCC. Otherwise nothing special to report now.

I've been requested to post this from our FIDE rep:

FIDE Report: Sunday, October-06-13

This report comes to you from the 84 FIDE Congress in Tallinn, Estonia. The Commissions have completed their meetings and the Congress begins tomorrow (October 7), so I may have more to report during the Governors’ meeting
    Garry Kasparov is here. We met briefly today and I was invited to a reception tomorrow evening “dedicated to the 2014 FIDE Presidential Election”. More surprising is the uncertainty surrounding the intentions of the incumbent, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov.

Since my last report, GM Anton Kovalyov has been successfully transferred to Canada and is eligible to play for Canada in the Olympiad next year. Welcome aboard Anton!

The NAYCC was successfully organized in Toronto this past August by the Chess n’ Math Association. Congratulations to Francis Rodrigues and his team for organizing this challenging event with record attendance. IA Aris Marghetis was the Chief Arbiter and did an excellent job. I attended as FIDE Observer and Chair of the Appeals Committee. On October 3 FIDE confirmed that following Canadian players are eligible for titles:

WCM:
    Maili-Jade Ouellet (ID # 2620472)
    Jeannie Zhang (ID # 2615959)
    Qiyu Zhou (ID # 505161)
    Harmony Zhu (ID # 2617595)
    Mysha Gilani (ID # 2618966)

CM:
    Joseph Bellissimo (ID # 2609843)
    Jeffrey Xu (ID # 2617110)
    Sergey Noritsyn (ID # 2616408)
    Rohan Talukdar (ID # 2616378)
    Eugene Hua (ID # 2618150)
    Kevin Low (ID # 2618699)

WFM:
    Alexandra Botez (ID # 2603365)

FM:
    Yuanchen Zhang (ID # 2611902)

Congratulations to these players and to Quebec Arbiter Bernard Ouimet, whose FA application has been recommended for approval by the Executive Board, which meets on October 7-8. I have also been recommended as a Certified Lecturer for FIDE Arbiter Seminars.

Respectfully Submitted
    Hal Bond
    FIDE Zone 2.2 President and Delegate, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Treasurer's Report: I have been involved with Frank and Vlad on some budgeting issues for the WYCC. Otherwise nothing special to report now.
    Fred, I have a few questions:

1. Can you confirm that the audit/review of our April 30, 2013 financials is complete?
    2. The website still has the pre audit financials, when will you be replacing them with the audited/reviewed financials?
    3. Did the review precipitate any adjustments or corrections?
    4. At the AGM, we passed a motion to send the Saskatchewan donation to the Foundation. Will that be reflected in the 2013 financials?
    5. When can we expect a quarterly financial report for the 1st quarter ended July 31, 2013?

Thanks, Bob

Yesterday both Kirsan Ilyumzhinov and Garry Kasparov announced their candidacy for FIDE President. Kirsan has not named his ticket, but Kasparov has – it includes Rex Sinquefield of St Louis fame, sitting General Secretary (!) Ignatius Leong, and some others outside the chess community - Sheikh Mohammed bin Ahmed Al Hamed of the UAE, Afrika Msimang and Jan Callewaert of Belgium.

Today was the last day for the Executive Board and Mr. Leong was asked to resign from his post by several people on the Presidential Board but ultimately there are no statutes covering the situation. Casto Abundo of the Philippines stated that the Kasparov campaign has been launched too early and it is disruptive to the work of FIDE. He has a point – Ignatius is rather compromised at the moment.

Tomorrow will be the extraordinary meeting of the General Assembly to select the Chair of the Electoral committee. Several candidates have been announced so it could be a long day.

. On October 3 FIDE confirmed that following Canadian players are eligible for titles:
    Hal, may you clarify - what is the next step to get a title?
    .*-1

Hi Egis – the Qualification Commission of FIDE approved these titles from the NAYCC. The CFC must now contact the players to secure payment, and then request the titles which FIDE will in turn award. The list below is the amount FIDE charges us, which may be subject to a modest admin fee.
    (Woman) Grandmaster: 330 Euro
    (Woman) International Master: 165 Euro
    (Woman) FIDE Master: 70 Euro
    (Woman) Candidate Master: 50 Euro
    International Arbiter: 100 Euro
    FIDE Arbiter: 50 Euro
    International Organizer: 100 Euro
    FIDE Instructor: 100 Euro
    FIDE Trainer: 200 Euro
    FIDE Senior Trainer: 300 Euro
    National Instructor 50 Euro
    Developmental Instructor 50 Euro

The partisan battle for the elected Chair of the Electoral Commission did not materialise in the end, and Margaret Murphy of the USVI was elected unanimously.

Some other interesting changes are coming. FIDE will merge online rapid and blitz ratings with OTB rapid and blitz by January 2014 or sooner on their online arena. G/60 will be FIDE rateable for all players in July 2014 and a FIDE rating will be obtained after 5 games instead of 9, which was surprisingly found to be more accurate by statistician Jeff Sonas. His presentation was fascinating and I have the powerpoint file if anyone wants a copy. You may also be surprised by his inflation / deflation findings.
    Last edited by Hal Bond; 10-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Hello Hal,

I would be interested in seeing that powerpoint file. I hope FIDE is not going to try to steer us to ever faster time controls.

Thank you, Hal, for you report from FIDE Congress!

Could you please email me Jeff Sonas's presentation?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Fred, I have a few questions:

1. Can you confirm that the audit/review of our April 30, 2013 financials is complete?
    2. The website still has the pre audit financials, when will you be replacing them with the audited/reviewed financials?
    3. Did the review precipitate any adjustments or corrections?
    4. At the AGM, we passed a motion to send the Saskatchewan donation to the Foundation. Will that be reflected in the 2013 financials?
    5. When can we expect a quarterly financial report for the 1st quarter ended July 31, 2013?

Thanks, Bob
    Sorry to take so long to answer this Bob. I will confur with Michael and answer these questions ASAP. If not by the end of the meeting in the Governors Forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast