Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3. President's welcome

Default 3. President's welcome

Governors let's welcome the President in his first meeting as president!

Blog Entries

Welcome to our 2013 October quarterly online meeting. The public can view the meeting. Governors, officers and members of the executive can post and vote. At the moment there is one motion on the table dealing with CFC employment rules. There is an important policy discussion regarding compliance with the new NFP Act. The first attempt was voted down by the governors and we will need to regroup and get this done as we have just a little more than a year to comply with the act. I am looking forward to some constructive and useful discussion.

If this is the wrong thread for this comment, my apolgies in advance, but.....

It appears there has been no weekly rating update done this week. Is there a problem?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    If this is the wrong thread for this comment, my apolgies in advance, but.....

It appears there has been no weekly rating update done this week. Is there a problem?
    It probably is the wrong thread but I have asked for an explanation from Michael and will let you know as soon as I get an answer.

Blog Entries

Michael von Keitz had decided to do the weekly rating updates on Fridays instead of mid-week. He did this for the first time the week before last. He had planned to do the same this week but was not able to do the update because he fell ill. He will get this past week's update done ASAP and will have future rating updates done on Fridays and membership updates done on Mondays. That is the plan for future updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    to do the weekly rating updates on Fridays instead of mid-week.
    The updates should be done on Wednesdays/Thursdays. On Fridays many opens start and TD would appreciate to have an updated rating list.
    .*-1

Michael von Keitz had decided to do the weekly rating updates on Fridays instead of mid-week.....That is the plan for future updates.
    That is a very bad idea. Wednesday updates are perfect, they allow enough time for TD's to get their tournament submissions in from the prior weekend, and allow TD's and players adequate time to prepare for the upcoming weekend. We didn't just pick wednesday willy nilly, it is the optimal day for the update. It has been that way since December 2007 when I instigated it. Prior to that, they were done every 3 weeks, if that. We must not now begin another backslide in services. We've seen this movie before.

Default Back to Wed. with Rating Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    That is a very bad idea. Wednesday updates are perfect, they allow enough time for TD's to get their tournament submissions in from the prior weekend, and allow TD's and players adequate time to prepare for the upcoming weekend. We didn't just pick wednesday willy nilly, it is the optimal day for the update. It has been that way since December 2007 when I instigated it. Prior to that, they were done every 3 weeks, if that. We must not now begin another backslide in services. We've seen this movie before.
    I agree with Bob G, Egis and others who say Friday is the worst day. It negatively affects the operations of weekend tournaments. I think Bob G is likely right when he says due consideration was given years ago when the updates went to weekly, on Wednesdays. Wed. does seem to remain the ideal day.

Also, no reason has been publicly presented to put forth the alleged merits of moving to Friday, which may be severely challenged.

There have been absolutely no complaints about the current system (after CFC taking much abuse about it previously), except when Michael does not get it done Wed. night. And generally he is cut some slack by members to come in with it sometime on Thursday. So why fix what isn't broken??

Bob A

Blog Entries

In my opinion we should have continuously updated ratings as they have in the USCF with the updates being unofficial until the beginning of the next month (or it might be bimonthly). Unfortunately to be able to this now we would have had to set an automated website rating update system when we updated the website at considerable cost a couple of years ago and we did not do that.

My impression is that things are broken and hence the attempt to fix it. I can have a conversation with Michael about the reasoning behind the changes (update the ratings by Friday and update membership data by Monday). It is Michael's attempt to organize the work that he has to get done in a way that makes sense to him. If the ratings being updated on a Friday is a concern for someone why not just use the ratings from the previous Friday?
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 10-11-2013 at 12:55 AM.

In my opinion we should have continuously updated ratings as they have in the USCF with the updates being unofficial until the beginning of the next month (or it might be bimonthly).
    I disagree. This obsession with instant ratings is ridiculous. The formula is simple enough. Players can easily estimate their new rating even after each game if they wish. Official, unofficial, are you kidding me. Keep it simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast