Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 1. October 2013 Quarterly Online Governors Meeting - AGENDA

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,354

    Default 1. October 2013 Quarterly Online Governors Meeting - AGENDA

    Governors' Online Meeting October 2013 Agenda
    October 6 - 13 (subject to extension)

    Any Governor requesting a change in the agenda is welcome to posting explaining his/her request. Please do not make such requests in other threads - except in extraordinary cases, all additions will be under "NEW BUSINESS"

    1. Governors' Online Meeting January 2013 Agenda

    2. Governors' Sign In
    3. President's Welcome
    4. Instructions/Questions/Comments on the On-line Meeting Procedures

    5. Executive Reports
    a. Vice President
    b. FIDE Rep
    c. Secretary
    d. Treasurer
    e. Youth Coordinator
    f. Past President

    6. Officer + Committee Reports
    a. Public Relations Coordinator
    b. CFC Clubs Administrator
    c. Rating Auditor
    d. NFP Act Transition Committee Report
    e. CFC Newsletter Committee Report

    7. Motions

    7A: (Garland Best / David Gordon) CFC Employment Rules
    7B. (Paul Leblanc / Fred McKim) Rating of Foreign Players

    8. POLICY DISCUSSION: Compliance with new NFP (Not for Profit) Rules

    9. New Business

    Thursday, Oct 9th (9:00pm ET) - Sunday, October 13th (9:00pm ET)

    10. Voting Booth

    11. Suggested Items for Next Quarterly Meeting

    12. Results of Voting

    13. Concluding Address by President

    Note: the January 2014 Quarterly meeting is tentatively scheduled for Jan 5-12, 2014
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 10-06-2013 at 10:12 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Dear Lyle,

    Please add new item to the Agenda:
    "Cash flow problem in Ontario".

    According to the CFC Handbook, every three months the CFC Executive Director remits provincial membership fees due to the Ontario Chess Association.
    According to the OCA Constitution, half of provincial membership fees should be remitted to Ontario Chess Leagues.
    Traditionally it was done once a year, during OCA AGM.
    Unfortunately, this year it was not done.
    Ontario Chess Leagues still didn't receive membership rebates for 2012 fiscal year ended in April 2013.
    OCA AGM was online in June, and nothing was done in this regard.
    On September 4 we sent an inquiry to OCA President Christopher Mallon and OCA Treasurer Brett Campbell.
    On September 5 we got response from Brett explaining that OCA still didn't transfer signing authority to new President, but planing to do it by the end of September.
    On September 30 we sent an additional inquiry asking for the status of the rebates.
    Unfortunately, Christopher never responded to our inquiries on this matter, nor by emails, no on the Governors Forum.

    Meantime, in October Greater Toronto Chess League starts Toronto Senior, Junior and Women's Championships.
    Traditionally, GTCL pays all rating fees for these events to the CFC.
    But if we don't get membership rebates from the OCA, we won't have funds to pay rating fees to the CFC.

    Hopefully, we could discuss the problem on this Meeting, and find solution to avoid this cash flow problem now and in the future.

    Thank you for your consideration!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    I frequently get asked by the President and other members of the Executive to give confidential advice on various matters and while I've not been asked on this one I will tell you what I would say.

    If the issue is that the CFC Office is not remitting to the OCA on a timely basis then the CFC needs to do something. To me that's a no-brainer.

    If the problem is a matter relating to relations between the OCA and one or more of the leagues then it's NOT legitimately CFC business and the OCA would have every right to be annoyed at the CFC if we involved ourselves without being invited by both parties.

    As such while I definitely understand the points you are making, if the President asked me my advice on the points you are raising I would urge him to rule the discussion out of order since while I understand your frustration it simply isn't a matter that the CFC legitimately should be involved in except by OCA request.

    All this would change if the Leagues were CFC affiliates and while I can see the pros and cons of them choosing to do so, it would surprise me if Governors outside Ontario would ratify this except with the endorsement of the OCA. (With this endorsement it would be a slam dunk). As it stands they're not and the OCA would have every right to be p***ed off if the CFC involved itself uninvited.

    So therefore I would urge that this NOT be discussed at the CFC Governors Meeting - sorry.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kanata, Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    All this would change if the Leagues were CFC affiliates and while I can see the pros and cons of them choosing to do so, it would surprise me if Governors outside Ontario would ratify this except with the endorsement of the OCA. (With this endorsement it would be a slam dunk). As it stands they're not and the OCA would have every right to be p***ed off if the CFC involved itself uninvited.
    Hi Lyle, thanks for your post.

    Now, lemme get this right : In your opinion, if the OCA supported it, do you believe the 4 current Ontario leagues could affiliate themselves directly with the CFC?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tecumseh, ON
    Posts
    2,074
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    I frequently get asked by the President and other members of the Executive to give confidential advice on various matters and while I've not been asked on this one I will tell you what I would say.

    If the issue is that the CFC Office is not remitting to the OCA on a timely basis then the CFC needs to do something. To me that's a no-brainer.

    If the problem is a matter relating to relations between the OCA and one or more of the leagues then it's NOT legitimately CFC business and the OCA would have every right to be annoyed at the CFC if we involved ourselves without being invited by both parties.

    As such while I definitely understand the points you are making, if the President asked me my advice on the points you are raising I would urge him to rule the discussion out of order since while I understand your frustration it simply isn't a matter that the CFC legitimately should be involved in except by OCA request.

    All this would change if the Leagues were CFC affiliates and while I can see the pros and cons of them choosing to do so, it would surprise me if Governors outside Ontario would ratify this except with the endorsement of the OCA. (With this endorsement it would be a slam dunk). As it stands they're not and the OCA would have every right to be p***ed off if the CFC involved itself uninvited.

    So therefore I would urge that this NOT be discussed at the CFC Governors Meeting - sorry.
    I have to agree with Lyle on this. If the CFC is not responsible for this situation by holding up the payment to the OCA (and so far there is no indication that it is) then this is not the right forum to discuss OCA internal matters. We simply don't have the authority to deal with such issues. I am going to have to rule the discussion out of order unless Michael can very quickly show how this is a Chess Federation of Canada issue.

    I would suggest that the people who can deal with this matter do so either through email or on the private governors forum.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    If the CFC is not responsible for this situation by holding up the payment to the OCA (and so far there is no indication that it is) ...
    Vlad, the only reason that so far there is no indication that it is - is a lack of information.
    Could you please reveal:
    When the CFC sent the payment to the OCA?
    What amount?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I am going to have to rule the discussion out of order unless Michael can very quickly show how this is a Chess Federation of Canada issue.
    If the CFC loses revenue, because GTCL is unable to pay rating fees - is it a Chess Federation of Canada issue or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I would suggest that the people who can deal with this matter do so either through email or on the private governors forum.
    The problem is that the people who can deal with this matter - namely, OCA President Christopher Mallon - don't respond to emails or questions asked on the private governors forum.
    The clock is ticking, and I don't see a way other than make this issue public.

    Thank you for your consideration!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kitchener, ON
    Posts
    2,138
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default

    For the record, I've replied to all three emails I've received on this subject.

    IIRC the CFC went to 6-month payments a while back, has that since changed? Perhaps someone (Fred?) can confirm the last cheque date and amount that was sent to the OCA?

    Thanks.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    For the record, I've replied to all three emails I've received on this subject.

    IIRC the CFC went to 6-month payments a while back, has that since changed? Perhaps someone (Fred?) can confirm the last cheque date and amount that was sent to the OCA?

    Thanks.
    Thank you, Chris!

    Could you please clarify:
    Did you reply to Evgeny's email sent October 9, where he asked about membership rebates amount?

    Sorry, if I missed your response...
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •