Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chess approved as a high school credit... in B.C. (Okanagan)

Philippine is the another country starting chess classes. Read more at FIDE.com
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Long time

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lohner
    Has anyone contacted the current Canadian administration and given them a 'sales pitch' on why Chess should be considered the same as a sport? I think with the great publicity with the new school course this would be a great time to bring it up with the current administration. Isn't this what the CFC should be doing? lobbying and promoting chess in Canada?
    I have been saying the same thing for years as a chess activist and for about 2 years as governor. Guess how many have joined my pledge, or showed interest to do so?!...

Thumbs up Chess approved as a high school credit... in B.C. (Okanagan)

Back in March we heard this wonderful news. I received this email today:

Dear Colleagues,
    Once again, I am very pleased to inform and update you on the progress of the Board Approved and Authorized (BAA) high school chess course being offered in the British Columbia public school system.

High school teacher, Luke Campbell, is 'presently' teaching the Ministry of Education approved chess course to a class of 31 students at Mt. Boucherie Senior Secondary, in School District #23 (Okanagan).

I have always believed that it is in the best interest of the Canadian Chess Community to support Luke in this endeavor with equipment, books, knowledge and publicity...etc., as his successes will undoubtedly influence similar approval for public high school chess classes in other provinces and school districts across Canada. In fact, there is an expressed interest in his progress from as far and wide as Australia, India, the United Arab Emirates and Austria. To have Chess offered as a full-credit high school course, on an equal with Science, Socials or Mathematics, is truly a significant achievement.

You can receive further information and updates by contacting Luke at lcampbel@sd23.bc.ca or you can contact me at arnie_nermo@sd34.bc.ca

Thank you for your continued interest and support of chess (and children),

Arnie Nermo, B.Ed.
    Learning Support
    Robert Bateman Sec.School
    Abbotsford
    British Columbia
    604-864-0220 Ext: 2103

Congratulation!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12