Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chess approved as a high school credit... in B.C. (Okanagan)

Default Chess approved as a high school credit... in B.C. (Okanagan)

Just received this email:

================================================== ======
    Dear Colleagues,
    I am very pleased to bring to your attention the fact that in this past week Chess is now being offered as a Board Approved and Authorized (BAA) high school course by the Ministry of Education in British Columbia. As far as I am aware, this is a "first" in Canada. To have Chess offered as a full credit high school course, on an equal with Science, Socials or Mathematics, is a significant achievement for the Canadian Chess community.

The course will be offered in SD#23 Okanagan, by high school teacher, Luke Campbell, in the 2009-10 school year. I think it is incumbent upon and in the best interest of the CFC and the Canadian Chess community to support Luke in this endeavour (in knowledge, equipment, books, publicity...etc.) as his successes may be a forerunner for similar approval in other provinces and school districts across Canada.

For further information you can contact Luke at lcampbel@sd23.bc.ca or you can contact me at arnie_nermo@sd34.bc.ca

Thank you for your interest and support,

Arnie Nermo, B.Ed.
    Learning Support
    Robert Bateman Sec.School
    Abbotsford
    British Columbia

Default highlighted in Susan Polgar's blog too...

with additional information about the program. Well done chaps!

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2009...ols-in-bc.html

Blog Entries

Congratulations!

I wouldn't have minded taking that course in high school. Our coach tried really hard to get such a course approved but then we got a new principal who wouldn't support it. This was before the Ontario curriculum was made much more strict as it is now.

As it is written in the email posted at S.Polgar website:
    I have attached a copy of the BAA Chess Course template for your enjoyment
    It was really an enjoyment to read the Synopsis. Seems it takes really long period to implement such things (Date Developed: March 10, 2006). Congs.
    .*-1

Smile Hopefully a webzine article ?

I too have sent my congratulations to Luke and Arnie for their wonderful achievement.

I have asked them to write an article for the webzine, or else send us some additional information for our CFC journalists. Details of their struggle would be very instructive.

Thanks again guys. We hope to hear from you.

Yes indeed, congratulations! And I'm assuming that Luke and Arnie achieved this success without having to pay themselves $91,000 (although they probably deserve every penny of that amount), unlike a certain Ontario dumb*ss who achieved next to nothing for that money.

Which reminds me, isn't it almost time for the OCA to publish their report on their investigation into Dumb*ss-gate?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders
    I too have sent my congratulations to Luke and Arnie for their wonderful achievement.

I have asked them to write an article for the webzine, or else send us some additional information for our CFC journalists. Details of their struggle would be very instructive.

Thanks again guys. We hope to hear from you.
    Post today on Susan Polgar's blog:

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2009...educators.html

where Susan has a link to the CFC Webzine: http://members.chess.ca/index.php?op...=199&itemid=82

Thumbs up I'm so proud !

So our article has made it to Susan Polgar's site, it feels like we have made it to the big leagues. I'm so proud of our little newborn webzine.

It's a great read, thanks again Arnie.

Meantime in Moldova:
    The government made a decision that chess (as a sport) will be in priority and it is reinforced by the Prime Minister and his deputy.

Details (in English): http://www.fide.com/component/conten...n-green-light-
    or (in Russian) http://www.euruchess.org/cgi-bin/ind...ewnews&id=2055
    .*-1

Has anyone contacted the current Canadian administration and given them a 'sales pitch' on why Chess should be considered the same as a sport? I think with the great publicity with the new school course this would be a great time to bring it up with the current administration. Isn't this what the CFC should be doing? lobbying and promoting chess in Canada?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast