Thread: Peng Wins USA Chess Scholarship

Default Peng Wins USA Chess Scholarship

The CFC Regular Chess Post – July 30/13 – Peng Wins USA Chess Scholarship

Attachment 209

Junior Girl Jackie Peng, former Canadian Women’s Olympiad Team member, was given the honour of being invited to the 10th Annual Susan Polgar Foundation Girls' Invitational Chess Championship from July 21 to 25 in St Louis, USA (the first time top girls invited from outside USA).

There were 61 players in total. Jackie finished 4th overall, with 4.5/6, and received a $52K Webster University Scholarship (in St. Louis)!

Congratulations Jackie!

For detailed, ongoing, on-line Canadian chess news, check out the new CFC website feature, Canadian Chess Newsfeed: http://chess.ca/newsfeed/ It replaces the prior “Latest News” column.

Bob Armstrong, CFC Public Relations Coordinator
    CFC Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id...id=10564098798
    CFC Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/ChessCanada

Blog Entries

Unhappy Why?

Same post as on Facebook for the identical piece of news:

"Why is there no mention of WCM Alexandra Botez, also a participant in the same tournament together with her sister Andreea Botez?
    1. Both sisters have been representing Canada for years...
    2. Alexandra has also won a scholarship!

Not cool!
    "
    Last edited by Valer Eugen Demian; 07-30-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Editing
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

We received an email from Jackie's mother, who sent us the good news along with pictures. However, it doesn't seem like the tournament results are published yet, so we can't know if anybody else won a scholarship.
    Didn't Alexandra already win such a scholarship (and chose not to attend Webster?). I remember we covered it when she won it.

Default Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Félix Dumont View Post
    We received an email from Jackie's mother, who sent us the good news along with pictures. However, it doesn't seem like the tournament results are published yet, so we can't know if anybody else won a scholarship.
    Didn't Alexandra already win such a scholarship (and chose not to attend Webster?). I remember we covered it when she won it.
    Here is some info

At this tournament there were 5 Canadians:
    Jackie Peng 4.5/6 (also tied for 1st in Puzzle competition with 20/20)
    Alexandra Botez 4.5/6
    Andrea Botez 4/6 (also tied for 1st in Puzzle competition with 20/20 and tied for 1st in under 13 section)
    Sasha Konovalenko 3.5/6
    Janet Peng 3/6

After the tournament Susan Polgar and Webster University offered both Jackie and Alexandra scholarship.

All 5 girls did a fantastic job representing Canada!Attachment 210Attachment 211Attachment 212Attachment 213Attachment 214

Blog Entries

Look, let me start by saying I do not wish to stir any trouble. All I am saying is this situation has to improve! I am not a public relations anything, but I browse the net for Canadian players regularly and stumble across names, photos and materials covering us Coast to Coast. There is a finite number of chess people who can be contacted easily for details and their names are also known from Coast to Coast. Is it possible to have better Canadian coverage and an extra thousand of an inch of effort to be more inclusive? I would appreciate that a lot!
    Valer Eugen Demian

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    Look, let me start by saying I do not wish to stir any trouble. All I am saying is this situation has to improve! I am not a public relations anything, but I browse the net for Canadian players regularly and stumble across names, photos and materials covering us Coast to Coast. There is a finite number of chess people who can be contacted easily for details and their names are also known from Coast to Coast. Is it possible to have better Canadian coverage and an extra thousand of an inch of effort to be more inclusive? I would appreciate that a lot!
    Valer. I passed the information that I received from Jackie's mom along to John, Felix, and Bob. It sounded like a noteworthy achievement and still does. I think it stands to reason that we weren't intentionally being neglectful of any other participants. I'm sure the other achievements will be duly noted at the respective media outlets.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Valer. I passed the information that I received from Jackie's mom along to John, Felix, and Bob. It sounded like a noteworthy achievement and still does. I think it stands to reason that we weren't intentionally being neglectful of any other participants. I'm sure the other achievements will be duly noted at the respective media outlets.
    Thank you! It is understandable to have parents interested only in their children's achievements; sometimes we see a lot more cooperation and inclusiveness between them away from Canada (Botez and Peng know each other and not since yesterday...), but let's not go in that direction now... Jackie's achievement is of course newsworthy; nobody has denied that! All I am saying is let's not ignore any other Canadians participating, especially when those Canadians have achieved the same results.
    Valer Eugen Demian

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    Thank you! It is understandable to have parents interested only in their children's achievements; sometimes we see a lot more cooperation and inclusiveness between them away from Canada (Botez and Peng know each other and not since yesterday...), but let's not go in that direction now... Jackie's achievement is of course newsworthy; nobody has denied that! All I am saying is let's not ignore any other Canadians participating, especially when those Canadians have achieved the same results.
    Valer, perhaps you should extend the same level of understanding to CFC volunteers as you do to chess parents!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Valer, perhaps you should extend the same level of understanding to CFC volunteers as you do to chess parents!
    Why are people so defensive all of a sudden? All I said (please read my other messages) is that I wish the situation of reporting good results by all Canadians playing abroad is going to improve. What is wrong with that? Instead of an acknowledgement, I get back all sort of excuses and advices.

I volunteer for a few organizations (professional, multicultural, etc) for many years and in general the response offered/ required in such instances are (for example): "Thank you for your contribution! We aim to do a better job and contributions from anyone are welcome", or "Your observations have been noted"
    That is all needed! No need to explain the incomplete information came from one source only or the contributor has to be understanding of the volunteers dealing with the situation.
    Last edited by Valer Eugen Demian; 08-01-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Valer Eugen Demian