Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Something To Think About

What a crock.

Default Voluntary/Mandatory? A Full Review

For a full review of these issues, see my lengthy article on the Scarborough CC 2008-9 Club Championship in the Chess Canada Webzine, under " General Interest ".

Bob

Wink Good solution

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft
    What a crock.
    Bob, good solution. I believe it is what I suggested !!

Ken, it sounds like the politics at SCC is running a close 2nd behind the CFC.

Hi Bob:

I even gave you credit for the idea in one of my e-mails on this to the executive !!

Bob

Default Article Copy Available

Due to some controversy raised about my article, Vincent Chow, the editor of the Chess Canada Webzine, has decided to pull my article.

For those wishing to read it, please e-mail me ( bobarm@sympatico.ca ) and I will be happy to e-mail it to you. Thanks.

Bob

Article on what? Controversy shouldn't lead to articles being pulled.

Default Chess Canada Webzine - Controversy

Hi Ken:

What happened was that the President of the Scarborough CC wrote a very short response to my article on " Scarborough CC 2008-9 Club Championship: Use of Score Sheets " , that the CFC had published in the Chess Canada Webzine, under " General Interest ". It made a short point on the Scarborough CC's point of view on the issue. The President asked Vincent Chow, editor, to post it after the article, as a " Response ". I was quite happy to have Vincent do that. It added some more information to what I think are leading edge issues in chess that Scarborough CC was dealing with, because it is one of the few ( the only? ) clubs with its own database of its members' games.

Vincent wrote both myself and the President:

" The webzine is not meant as a forum and rebuttals/replies are not well adapted in this media.
    For the present I think it is better to leave this article out. "

He was therefore advising that rather than publish both articles ( which both the President and I were happy with ), he would publish neither ( which the President was also OK with, but I wasn't ). The article was immediately then pulled from the webzine.

I feel it is unfortunate if the webzine is going to shy away from controversy. First of all, it " sells magazines " ! But more seriously, it was an important chess culture issue, and players should have an opportunity to think about these issues. Also, to some extent, I am proud of what SCC is doing ( even if I might disagree partly with executive policy on the database ), and was hoping that the article would allow SCC to lead by example, and have some other clubs in Canada follow what we were doing.

But, I did advise Vincent that it was his decision as editor, and I strongly support the webzine, and I would accept his decision.

I just term this precedent a bit unfortunate, I guess.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 03-13-2009 at 10:11 AM.

To boldly go into the future. The benefits of a webzine is that it can have this kind of cut and thrust. I'd love to hear what the SCC President has to say on the issue.

Default SCC Opinion

Hi Ken:

You won't be hearing from the President.

It is the executive desire that the matter now be handled " in club " at the SCC AGM in September. Could be a lively meeting with motions on " handing in of score sheets " and whether an " objecting player " has the right to keep the " sharing " player from getting the game into the club database.

Bob

I meant I would have like to have seen your article and the President's response. They both should be published in the webzine.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast