Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5I. Rating Auditor's Report

The ratings are not inflated, they are not comparable with the FIDE ratings. Inflation occurs when the mean rating increases without a real increase in playing strength. A player who dominate his country will eventually get a national rating of 2700.

If I play in a pool of 2 000 players with a rating of 850, I would dominate them and I would eventually reach a very undeserved rating of 2700. Many players of true playing strength slightly above 850 would eventually become experts and masters.

Quote Originally Posted by Félix Dumont View Post
    I think it's obvious that a national rating should be more representative than FIDE rating. However, when we see GM Sambuev with a rating over 2700 and several FMs with a rating of about 2500, there's no doubt CFC rating is highly inflated.

Correction, the CFC table actually has been kept up to date. You can see that just last month, FIDE ratings lagged CFC ratings by almost 100 points for strong players. Some of the concerns are that CFC ratings are a factor in selecting Olympiad Team members and there are considerations for pairings and prize categories when the highest rating held by a player is used for these purposes.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12