Thread: 5E. FIDE Representative's Report

Blog Entries

Default 5E. FIDE Representative's Report

This thread was taken from posts on 5. Executive Reports.

From Hal Bond

FIDE Representative and Zonal President

FIDE Report – June AGM, 2013
    This past year has had its challenges and rewards. I will stand for re-election as Canada’s Zone President and FIDE Delegate.

Following the Congress at the Istanbul Olympiad in September, I had the honour of returning to Siberia as Chief Arbiter for the Women’s World Championship tournament. During this period I had the opportunity to meet several times with members of the Presidential Board, including CEO Geoffrey Borg and the President of the Americas, Jorge Vega.

Last month the Development Commission held its annual meeting during the Zonal Championship of “Oceania” (Zone 3.6) in Fiji. Their Zone includes Australia, New Zealand,(both of whom still print a magazine) Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Palau. I was struck by the professionalism of the organizer Dr. Virgillio De Asa, a practicing physician and Federation President/Delegate. He has identified some potential successors, the brightest of whom has just taken a job in Australia – also as a doctor. So we are not alone in our quest for willing and able people to serve our Federation. Their tournament was very well run – men and women at the same time – with about 40 players all told.

On the domestic front, the changes on the executive and the three RFPs have proven quite time consuming. I served on two of the RFP committees – namely for the office manager and for the merchandising contracts. I would like to thank Fred McKim for his leadership and facilitation with these decisions.

The NAYCC will be organized by the Chess n’ Math Association from August 15-18 in Toronto. This year is Canada’s turn, so thanks are in order to Larry Bevand and Francis Rodrigues for their ongoing effort to make the event a huge success.

Titles and transfers:

In order to lighten the office load, I took over this administrative task when I became FIDE Rep. Several IO titles were awarded at the Istanbul Congress but relatively few player titles were processed this past year. Eric Hansen earned his GM title, Aman Hambleton earned the IM title as did Shiyam Thavandiran, conditional on his FIDE rating reaching 2400. The player transfer for Vietnamese youth player An Nguyen was processed in September of last year in order for her to participate in the 2012 WYCC.

FIDE Licensed Arbiters

As reported in January, FIDE has implemented a licensing system for Arbiters. Any FIDE rated tournament requires a licensed Arbiter: NA, FA or IA. If norms are possible in a tournament then the Chief Arbiter requires the IA or FA title. FIDE is creating ID cards for licenced Arbiters and they are gradually being distributed. Canada’s growing list of licenced Arbiters now stands at 30:
    CAN Amesse, Louis‐Philippe NA
    CAN Ber, Alexandre NA
    CAN Berube, Richard NA
    CAN 2601699 Bond, Hal IA A
    CAN Boron, Tony NA
    CAN Boucher, Alain NA
    CAN 2616785 Boutin, Jean‐Roger NA
    CAN Campos, Eugenio Alonso NA
    CAN 2601648 Daniluk, Jim NA
    CAN 2611031 Denommee, Pierre IA D
    CAN Desjardins, Raymond NA
    CAN Dumont, Felix NA
    CAN 2611040 Dutton, Mark S. IA D
    CAN 2606763 Ferreira, Alex NA
    CAN 2602237 Goldenberg, Danny FA D
    CAN Langer, Herb NA
    CAN Laurin, Marcel NA
    CAN Le Duin, Thierry NA
    CAN 2611058 Marghetis, Aris IA D
    CAN 2611082 McDonald, Patrick IA D
    CAN 2615371 Ouimet, Bernard NA
    CAN 2603136 Palsson, Halldor‐Peter NA
    CAN Porper, Edward NA
    CAN 2613930 Preotu, Rene FA D
    CAN Razzaq, Ali FA D
    CAN 2606232 Rekhson, Vlad IA D
    CAN 2617781 Tariq, Atheer Jawad NA
    CAN Wang, Harris NA
    CAN 2602369 Wright, Stephen FA D
    CAN Zeggelaar, Mike NA

Looking Ahead:

The next FIDE Congress shall be for the Executive Board, now scheduled for Tallinn, Estonia from September 30 - October 10. Although previous attempts to implement more stringent player registration procedures have been rejected by the General Assembly, it grows increasingly clear that something must be done to deal with duplicate player IDS and crosstable errors involving players with same or similar names.

The 2014 Olympiad will also host the General Assembly and the Presidential elections. It appears that Ilyumzhinov will stand for re-election his opponent(s), if any, are as yet undeclared. Of course our domestic challenge will be to fund our Olympic Delegation in 2014. I look forward to the Fundraising Director’s report and I will help any way that I can.

Respectfully Submitted
    Hal Bond IA, IO
    FIDE Zone 2.2 President and Delegate, Canada

Blog Entries

From Hugh Brodie:
    Re: FIDE report: isn't Larry Bevand an IA?

From Felix Dumont:
    Many people didn't buy their license. It's the same for IA Archambault

From Chris Mallon:
    I didn't either - ridiculous money grab from already-certified arbiters.

That being said, I probably would have paid for it, except for the fact that if you don't TD in an event for 2 years you have to pay the fee all over again.

Many persons say that what the Presidential Board did with the Laws of Chess is a violation of the FIDE Constitution. Do we know what is the core problem that resulted in the delay with the new Laws of Chess? Apart from two details, they were approved by the General Assembly and the date at which the were to be applied was also approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Mallon:[/B
    I didn't either - ridiculous money grab from already-certified arbiters.

That being said, I probably would have paid for it, except for the fact that if you don't TD in an event for 2 years you have to pay the fee all over again.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat. How FIDE thinks alienating the relatively inactive is beyond me. I worked hard to get my IA - and they have unilaterally reneged on the terms that my title was given upon.

Phil Haley is also missing from the list. I qualified for the I.A. title years ago but never bothered to apply. Fide should look at this issue again but I doubt that they will because it is a money grab. In addition too many tournaments are becoming Fide rated which means that trying to look up someones Fide rating is time consuming because of the huge data base. In my view there is little benefit for someone under 2200 having a Fide rating.
    Les Bunning