Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC Moves on Fees

Hi Kerry & Egis:

On Motion 2009-07 - Tournament Playing Fee - Do you have any predictions on whether the Lavin/Smith motion will pass??

Just curious if there seems to be any position that seems to have coalesced as the debate went on.

Won't hang you on your predictions.

Anyone giving odds?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    Hi Kerry & Egis:

On Motion 2009-07 - Tournament Playing Fee - Do you have any predictions on whether the Lavin/Smith motion will pass?
    Let's say so: unpredictable. Maybe only 5 governors discussed on this motion. You should know better the total Governors number (5x?).

I hope I have not breached secrets
    .*-1

The interesting thing is some Governors appear to be voting yes/no on the two motions but not the same way. Those who have spoken (a small number) seem divided on both. Consensus certainly does not seem to be found.

Default CFC Governors

Hi Egis:

The current number of Governors-at-Large are:

A - Executive - 7
    B – Non-Executive Officers - Masters' Representative and Women's Coordinator - 2
    C - Representative of Chess Foundation of Canada, and, Canadian Correspondence Chess Association - 2
    D - Canadian Champion and Runner-Up - 2
    E – Former CFC Presidents ( some Life Governors ) – 10 ( as now shown on the CFC website ); almost equal the votes of the other Governors-at-Large

Total – 23

The current number of Provincial/Territorial Governors are:

A - B.C. - 5
    B - Alta. - 5
    C - Sask. - 1
    D - Man. - 2
    E - Ont. - 17
    F - Que. - 2
    G - N.B. - 2
    H - P.E.I. - 1
    I - N.S. - 2
    J - Nfld. & Lab. – 1
    K - no reps from the 3 territories ( 3 vacancies )

Total - 38 ( and three vacancies )

Grand Total - 61 Governors

Issue: How many will bother to vote? Anyone got a % prediction for me?

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 03-04-2009 at 03:38 PM.

I would love to see how each governor voted on this issue. Please post names and results.

Default Governor Voting Record

Hi Jason:

As you know, I am not a governor, so I will not have access to the results. I suggest you write the CFC Secretary Lyle Craver, probably through Bob Gillanders, ED., to ask that he post the actual voting record here on CFC Chess Forum.

I can assure you, I think, that if you don't do that, you won't get the names until perhaps the next GL ( they seem to be given the names of voters now, not just the result ).

Bob

Angry Governors voting record is public knowledge

hmmmmm.....there seems to be some backhanded comments about secretcy regarding voting records......

Governors' votes are a matter of public record. The vote results plus how each governor voted is in the next GL, which are posted on the website.

Default Release of Voting Record

Hi Bob:

Sorry if I was somewhat inaccurate on this one - I couldn't remember if the GL's had always named the governors voting or if that was more recent - a bit of ignorance I'm afraid, and being too lazy to go back into the GL's to find out.

Nevertheless, I think Jason's point was also a timeliness one - I think he was wondering if the voting record might be released earlier than the next GL, given the high interest among members on the motion 2009-07 ( on the TPF ) in particular.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    Hi Bob:

Sorry if I was somewhat inaccurate on this one - I couldn't remember if the GL's had always named the governors voting or if that was more recent - a bit of ignorance I'm afraid, and being too lazy to go back into the GL's to find out.

Nevertheless, I think Jason's point was also a timeliness one - I think he was wondering if the voting record might be released earlier than the next GL, given the high interest among members on the motion 2009-07 ( on the TPF ) in particular.

Bob
    I'm all in favour of releasing the results of the votes early (if anyone wants my opinion of course) but I don't really see what the big deal is about the timing... the official result is already published in the GL, finding out earlier just means a witch hunt can start sooner doesn't it? (just kidding)

There can only be two outcomes; presumably, some people will like one outcome more than they like the other... if you don't get the result you wanted, all that is required is a new motion to revisit the issue (and so the cycle continues). I suppose if a provincial election is on the horizon, it might be useful to see what the local governor(s) voted so that they can be held to account, but all of this is much ado about nothing.

Democracy doesn't guarantee the correct outcome; it merely ensures the enlightened and the ignorant have equal sway. [how would Bush have been elected (TWICE!!) if there had been an IQ test for US voters??]

I have voted. I encourage other Governors to do likewise.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast