Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC Moves on Fees

Default CFC Motions on Fees ( 2009-07 & 08 )

From GL # 4:

Motion 2009-07 (Moved David Lavin / Maurice Smith)

Effective May 1st, 2009 the CFC Tournament Fee will be $20 per player per tournament, $4 of which will go to the Provincial Authority. The CFC Tournament Fee for Juniors will be $10 per player per tournament, of which $2 will go to the Provincial Authority.
    This replaces the entire Section of Article 375 Tournament Playing Fee in the Handbook.

David Lavin: There has been much discussion about Tournament Memberships. Many feel that they encourage new members, others feel that they are costing the CFC revenue. What cannot be disputed is that an adult Tournament Membership fee of $10 is incredibly cheap when comparerd
    to the Annual Membership of $36. The cost of processing each membership is the same, so the costs to the CFC of a Tournament Membership is disproportionately high. Secondly, relatively few people play in four tournaments a year so there is a significant incentive to purchase the $10
    Tournament Membership rather than full Membership.

Motion 2009-08 (Moved David Lavin / Maurice Smith)
    Effective May 1st 2009 the Rating Fee for Adult Tournaments will be $3 per person per Tournament if using CFC/SwissSys, $5 per person per Tournament if not using CFC SwissSys.The rating Fee for Junior Tournaments will be $0.50 per person per Tournament if using CFC SwissSys, $2.50 per person per Tournament if not using CFC SwissSys. Tournaments submitted Swiss Assistant shall receive the same rate as those submitted using CFC SwissSys.
    This replaces tthe entire Section of Article 731 Fees in the Handbook and any Motions regarding 731 that were passed and not published.

David Lavin: The CFC at some expense has purchased a software solution to the rating of CFC tournaments. This system was implemented in order to replace the manual input of tournament spreadsheets by the Executive Director and staff that has been expensive to use. We want to encourage TDs to use a system that has proven to be simple to use and beneficial to all parties.

Governors should note that this motion is NOT identical to the version originally posted on the CFC Forum – the original version had a junior fee of 1.00 and 3.00 (which was an unintended increase in the current fees) and did not mention Swiss Assistant. We apologize for any confusion!

At the end of the month I am playing in a non cfc tournament. This tournament is geared towards club level players (under 1600). Several of these players play in the Keres open but use the tournament membership. I plan on asking them whether they are planing to go to the keres or skip it due to the increased fees. I wouldn't be surprised if they plan on just skipping the event now. I know if my friends aren't going to be in it, I won't bother either since I go to these events for the atmosphere and friends. I believe your proposal to increase the fee is counter to the goals of the CFC. You don't increase the amount of people participating by increasing the price. This will only hurt participation. But then again isn't that what the toronto gang wants? chess for the elites only?

Raising this fee would be the same as dropping a rook in a game. Its a huge blunder.

I'm glad you guys are shooting at somebody else for a change !! Respite - so nice.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lohner
    But then again isn't that what the toronto gang wants? chess for the elites only?
    Why don't you give the anti-west axe a rest for a while? It doesn't improve your argument.

Hi Kerry:

I agree with you ..... but.... I think you mean the " anti - EAST axe "?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Liles
    Why don't you give the anti-west axe a rest for a while? It doesn't improve your argument.
    because I call it like I see it. This 'grass roots' is really just a bunch of people from Toronto. There is nothing 'grass roots' about it. If it was truly a grass roots organization there would be representatives from across Canada. Until then it is the Toronto Gang. With 'governance' like this I would be greatly pleased if BC left the CFC. Its no wonder Canada's highest rated player refuses to play in Canada anymore.

Default It's Quality, not Geograpy !

Hi Jason:

To be a bit more accurate, everyone in the Grassroots' Campaign is not from Toronto. There are members from Kitchener, Kingston, Markham, Orillia, Mississauga, Hamilton, etc..

But you are right that it is a basic south central Ontario group. I would like to have had a broader group, but these are the CFC members/former members I knew whom I knew would be concerned about the future of the CFC.

But the issue is not the geography of membership.

It is the geograpy of success. All of our platforms ( with 1/2 of 1 being currently voted on ) have been now passed and implemented by CFC Governors from across Canada, including those from BC, I believe ( the first four restructuring motions of the fall of 2008 had an 81 % governor participation rate I believe ). This is a ringing endorsement for the worthwhileness of ideas, and not their geographic source, which you seem so fixated on.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 03-03-2009 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    Hi Kerry:

I agree with you ..... but.... I think you mean the " anti - EAST axe "?

Bob
    Perhaps that was incorrect - it was late and I was tired. I guess the intent of my post was clear. I meant that he was accusing US of having an anti-west bias, when in fact, it seems HE has an anti-EAST bias. But enough about factions...

No wonder the CFC has a hard time getting *anything* accomplished when there are SO many people who are effectively saying "do it my way or I won't support you at all".

Obviously, you cannot please everyone and compromises have to be accepted. It appears to me that there are a number of people who will not compromise on a number of issues... [shrug]

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Liles
    Obviously, you cannot please everyone and compromises have to be accepted.
    It would be even better that their would be some choice, not just yes and no
    .*-1

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast