Thread: 10E. CYCC Tiebreak Systems (Dénommée / Craver)

Default 10E. CYCC Tiebreak Systems (Dénommée / Craver)

I have received the following e-mail containing a motion from our outgoing Tournament Coordinator Pierre Dénommée and am happy to second it for discussion.

Introduction:
    The tie break in the section 710 of the Handbook have been cut and pasted from a now obsolete version of the FIDE Handbook. I would like a move a motion to correct them to the actual FIDE Handbook. Could you second this motion?

The greatest number of Black is relevant only at high level. FIDE itself has admitted that under 2 000, this is not an issue. Only a strong player can really benefit from the advantage of playing White. For U8, U10 and U12, the colour is clearly not an issue.

I have placed the Playoffs where they were in the Candidates matches.

Playoff should be used only to determine the Canadian Champion and the Canadian representatives at international competitions.

The motion: that Handbook Section 710 ("Tie Break") be amended to read:

Recommended Tie-Break Systems

a) Swiss Tournaments

Direct encounter
    The greater number of wins
    The greater number of games with Black (unplayed games shall be counted as played with White) REMOVE That, irrelevant for Youth tournament.
    Playoff goes here when relevant
    Buchholz Cut 1
    Buchholz
    Sonneborn-Berger

b) Round-Robin Tournaments:

Direct encounter
    The greater number of wins
    Sonneborn-Berger
    Koya System

It is recommended that playoffs only be arranged to determine the official Canadian representative to the WYCC. If playoffs are planned adequate time must be set aside for a conclusion to be reached.

While I've given the full Handbook link in the previous posting for the benefit of Governors the existing Handbook section is as follows:

710. Tie Break:

Should two or more players finish the tournament with the same number of points the following tie-break systems are recommended.

a) Swiss Sections

Direct encounter
    Sum of progressive score
    Buchholz
    Playoff
    Sonneborn-Berger
    Won games
    Games played with Black

b) Round Robin Sections

Direct encounter
    Playoff
    Games played with Black
    Koya
    Sonneborn-Berger
    Won games

It is recommended that playoffs only be arranged to determine the official Canadian representative to the WYCC. If playoffs are planned adequate time must be set aside for a conclusion to be reached.

Also for the benefit of Governors, the full text of the FIDE regulations can be found at http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...&view=category
    which explains the various Buchholz tie-break systems as well as the Koya system. I knew the Buchholz system but didn't know all the different variants of it and the Koya system (which is basically the sum of points scored counting only opponents who scored 50%+) was new to me.

The short version is if you are at all interested in this sort of thing (and I would suspect all National TDs and International Arbiters would be) you want to be reading the FIDE document!

I have never been a fan of any tie break system witch does not involve a playoff. Playoffs, Direct encounter and Games played with Black would would be my personal top 3 tiebreak methods
    Last edited by David Gordon; 06-26-2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: changed won to played