Thread: Is valid CFC membership required to register

Default Is valid CFC membership required to register

... and to remain active on this forum? Shouldn't it be?

I guess there may be *governors* who have let their CFC membership lapse - that would be an extreme case...

I am not sure how the admins would/could police this (other than checking tdlist when someone registers).

Bob G: is tdlist up to date? There seems to be a lot of crap in that file...

Maybe splitting it into members/expired members? (ie: two lists) I suppose this latter part should be a separate thread...

Hi Kerry:

I see this board as part of CFC's mandate to promote chess in Canada. So I don't think it should be restrictive. Not only members, but members of the public should feel free to come here and find out about the CFC and chess in Canada.

I also think that monitoring who is and who is not a member ( what about registering as a member, and then expiring? ) would be a full time job. And I see no benefits of restricting the public. We're trying to get more openness - we want a "read only " private governors' board. This is the direction I think we need to go in.

Bob

Blog Entries

Bob,

Most Governor discussion lately has been email, which is not readable by the average person on the street. I don't want things to be more restrictive than that, but I also don't think that going any more open is a good thing either.

What are the benefits of letting anyone and everyone see every single Governor comment the instant it is made? The drawbacks are, I think, quite obvious. Nobody was clamouring for every single email between Governors to be made public and forwarded instantly to a mailing list either so I don't really see why there would be a push for this now.

Default " Read Only " Private Governors' Forum

Hi Chris:

The public can go into the House of Commons and hear their MP's debate in real time ( a " read only " situation ! ). Proceedings are on television.

Why are the governors afraid to have their comments heard by the chess public in live time?

Bob

Blog Entries

Come now Bob, we both know in the Canadian Government much more gets decided at a party level (in private) than in the House of Commons. When was the last time a debate in the House changed how anyone was going to vote? And even then do they not have a way to consider something in private if it's sensitive? I'm sure they must.

Thankfully with the CFC we don't have parties. And who ever said the Governors were afraid of anything? Maybe some are, I don't know. But the CFC is a *BUSINESS*, not a government, even if our quaint governing structure more closely resembles that of a government.

Any business that conducted all of its affairs right out in the open allowing comment by anyone off the street would certainly not last long.

I reiterate - NOTHING has been taken away from you here, it's simply another means of communication. You'll still be able to read the GLs.