Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10B. CYCC Free Entries (Felix Dumont / Edward Porper)

We have a difficult enough time encouraging bids on National Championships without adding up to $7500 extra uncosted dollars upon volunteer organizers.

I will be voting against this motion

Quote Originally Posted by Félix Dumont View Post
    And how many Gms will you lodge at the 2013 CO with this money instead? It's all about priorities. I prefer to invest money in the youth, but I imagine it's far from being the case for everyone.
    The Ottawa crew did a splendid job of both the CYCC and Canadian Open in 2007, and I'm confident they will do it again. If they want to spend some money on GM's, that's their choice. They raised a lot of money for the youth fund coffers back in 2007, and with 197 entries to date, it looks like about 30k this year. That more than most CYCC's raise.

As I scan the CYCC registered players, I see only 9 players from Quebec. Felix, can you tell me where are all the Quebec kids? Is youth chess not a priority in Quebec?

As for your motion, I will vote NO. We struggle every year to secure organizers for the CYCC. Adding additional burdens on organizers is not wise. If we ever get competing bids, then they could sweeten the pot with additional goodies. But until then, forget it.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 06-18-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    The Ottawa crew did a splendid job of both the CYCC and Canadian Open in 2007, and I'm confident they will do it again. If they want to spend some money on GM's, that's their choice. They raised a lot of money for the youth fund coffers back in 2007, and with 197 entries to date, it looks like about 30k this year. That more than most CYCC's raise.

As I scan the CYCC registered players, I see only 9 players from Quebec. Felix, can you tell me where are all the Quebec kids? Is youth chess not a priority in Quebec?

As for your motion, I will vote NO. We struggle every year to secure organizers for the CYCC. Adding additional burdens on organizers is not wise. If we ever get competing bids, then they could sweeten the pot with additional goodies. But until then, forget it.
    Most parents feel insulted by the format ( 6 rounds, huge entry fee, a first prize that only covers half of the travel costs and huge profit on the back of the kids). There is already 3 times more player registered for the NAYCC, even though it's further and in August. I have no doubt the CYCC could get at least 75 players from Quebec if it stopped being a tournament only for rich kids.

I liked-disliked the original motion. Champions should be praised - and there should be no exceptions (like 50 km). Therefore I moved to split the motion to two.

I'll support the (1) free entry, but NOT (2).
    .*-1

Egis, the idea is that there would be no point in offering free accommodation for a player if the tournament is in his hometown... That said, I still support spliting the motions, but I don't know what happenned with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Félix Dumont View Post
    Egis, the idea is that there would be no point in offering free accommodation for a player if the tournament is in his hometown... That said, I still support spliting the motions, but I don't know what happenned with it.
    Where I live a 50-km gives you many many towns and cities.

I assume President and Secretary should take care of motions, as in the normal meeting.
    .*-1

I am unclear why it was necessary to say the President and Secretary should take of motions. After all the President has the right (subject to appeal) to rule any motion in or out of order as well as to certify whether a motion is or is not a constitutional amendment while the Secretary posts all motions received and conducts the vote. Beyond that I routinely e-mail the President when I am doubtful about whether a motion is in/out of order or a constitutional change usually giving my recommendation which by no means is always followed.

Seems to me that if you support the intent of a particular motion you vote FOR it and if you don't then you vote AGAINST it.

To me I'm stating the obvious and thus I'm confused about Mr. Z's point.

Speaking personally I have not yet decided how I will vote on this motion.

Unfortunately Felix Dumont has his facts wrong. The CYCC entry fee is mandated by by CFC rules. First prize will cover the cost of winners travelling to the WYCC not 50% as indicated be Felix. As organisers of this years CYCC we decided to run the event as 6 rounds plus playoffs so the extra day could be used for fun chess events for the kids. We believe that this will be more welcome to most of the kids but we will conduct a survey to see what they would prefer for future events. The entry fee is only a small part of the cost of sending a youth to ottawa for 4 days. Accordingly felix's comment about rich kids seems inaccurate.
    With respect to the motion if some players do not have to pay the entry fee it will reduce the money available to fund travel to the WYCC. Few organisers will commit to providing free accomodation for some of the participants.
    Les Bunning

Quote Originally Posted by Les Bunning View Post
    First prize will cover the cost of winners travelling to the WYCC not 50% as indicated be Felix.
    With a flight that cost in average $4000 at that time of the year, I really hope there will be a lot of participants this year, otherwise the first prize will never cover the full cost of the flight. I've talked with a few past winners, and their first prize never managed to cover all of the flight (even though it was more around $2000 when they won).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Les Bunning View Post
    Unfortunately Felix Dumont has his facts wrong. The CYCC entry fee is mandated by by CFC rules. First prize will cover the cost of winners travelling to the WYCC not 50% as indicated be Felix. As organisers of this years CYCC we decided to run the event as 6 rounds plus playoffs so the extra day could be used for fun chess events for the kids. We believe that this will be more welcome to most of the kids but we will conduct a survey to see what they would prefer for future events. The entry fee is only a small part of the cost of sending a youth to ottawa for 4 days. Accordingly felix's comment about rich kids seems inaccurate.
    With respect to the motion if some players do not have to pay the entry fee it will reduce the money available to fund travel to the WYCC. Few organisers will commit to providing free accomodation for some of the participants.
    Les Bunning
    My understanding is that the winners get $1000 towards travel to the WYCC plus designation as official representatives which entitles them to free accommodation and food in normal years. This year everyone gets free accommodation and food at the WYCC from the United Arab Emirates hosts.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast