Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10B. CYCC Free Entries (Felix Dumont / Edward Porper)

Hybrid View

Default 10B. CYCC Free Entries (Felix Dumont / Edward Porper)

Moved / Seconded by Felix Dumont and Edward Porper:

Be it resolved that the following be added to the CYCC regulations:

''The organizer shall provide free entry to winners of each category of the previous CYCC, as well as free accommodation as long as they reside no closer than 50 km of the venue.''

I'll move that the motion is split in TWO.

1. The organizer shall provide free entry to winners of each category of the previous CYCC.
    2. The organizer shall provide free accommodation to winners of each category of the previous CYCC as long as they reside no closer than 50 km of the venue.

Seconder?

I assume the motion is an amendment to
    711. Players Expenses:
    Each player will be responsible for paying his own travel expenses, accommodation and meal expenses. [Amended, see Motion 2003-02, 02-03GL3, December 2002]
    .*-1

It makes sense to split both ( altough I'd vote yes for both). I second your motion.

Can the movers of this motion cost out what they are proposing?

It is not trivial to forgo the entry fees of up to 12 players. What is expected when providing free accommodation to up to 12 players? To what standard? One per hotel room etc.

Liability could be:
    entry fees $225*12= $2,700
    Hotel for four days at $100 per night: accommodation $100*4*12=$4,800

The CYCC is not an easy tournament to stage. I am reluctant to put what I estimate to be a $7,500 cost on future tournament organizers.

I will vote against this.
    Last edited by Halldor P. Palsson; 06-17-2013 at 02:14 PM.

I agree with Halldor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
    Can the movers of this motion cost out what they are proposing?

It is not trivial to forgo the entry fees of up to 12 players. What is expected when providing free accommodation to up to 12 players? To what standard? One per hotel room etc.

Liability could be:
    entry fees $225*12= $2,700
    Hotel for four days at $100 per night: accommodation $100*4*12=$4,800

The CYCC is not an easy tournament to stage. I am reluctant to put what I estimate to be a $7,500 cost on future tournament organizers.

Just to do the math correctly. The organizers are losing $75 and I think the CFC would be losing $150 per player, but the exact intent of the movers isn't clear on this point.

Thanks Fred.

This notion that organizers are making out like bandits on the $75/per player and what they need from Governors are additional items to spend money on should be off the table.

Worst case scenario on entry fee is $2,700, CFC WYCC travel fund gives up $150 per player OR $1,800. Which WYCC participants do not need given the already high level of funding by the CFC, NOT. Movin on, the CYCC $75 or $900 towards CYCC costs is probably money they do not need.

The accommodation, local organizers eats $4,800 or less. $4,800/75= 64 entrants. If it was only half or $2000/75=26.66 or 27 entries.

If you do not like my math - mover says use $2700/75=36 entries would pay for this worthwhile initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
    Thanks Fred.

This notion that organizers are making out like bandits on the $75/per player and what they need from Governors are additional items to spend money on should be off the table.

Worst case scenario on entry fee is $2,700, CFC WYCC travel fund gives up $150 per player OR $1,800. Which WYCC participants do not need given the already high level of funding by the CFC, NOT. Movin on, the CYCC $75 or $900 towards CYCC costs is probably money they do not need.

The accommodation, local organizers eats $4,800 or less. $4,800/75= 64 entrants. If it was only half or $2000/75=26.66 or 27 entries.

If you do not like my math - mover says use $2700/75=36 entries would pay for this worthwhile initiative.

And how many Gms will you lodge at the 2013 CO with this money instead? It's all about priorities. I prefer to invest money in the youth, but I imagine it's far from being the case for everyone.

Mr. Dumont, I find your sniping at us in Ottawa utterly unseemly. Last time out this group donated over $40K to the CFC for youth chess after the 2007 CYCC and CO. We do not feel any need to defend our priorities or commitment to youth chess in Canada.

We have a difficult enough time encouraging bids on National Championships without adding up to $7500 extra uncosted dollars upon volunteer organizers.

I will be voting against this motion

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast