Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3B. Nomination of Governors - Quebec (3 positions)

Default 3B. Nomination of Governors - Quebec (3 positions)

Nominations are open through day 3 (June 19th) they will be acclaimed at the end of the nomination period. If an election is required it will take place on days 4 and 5 (June 21st)
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 06-16-2013 at 09:00 PM.

I have been asked by the FQE to nominate (and am happy to do so):

Richard Berube of Montreal (CFC # 106007, expiry 1 July 2004)
    Felix Dumont of Montreal (CFC # 148330, expiry 1 Aug 2013)
    Marc Poulin of Outremont (CFC # 144314, expiry 1 Aug 2013)

Messrs Dumont and Poulin are members of the outgoing 2012-13 Assembly of Governors.
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 06-16-2013 at 11:57 PM.

Blog Entries

In addition to the above nominations, Hugh Brodie and Pierre Denommee have indicated they would like to run for Quebec Governor. Both are outgoing Governors.

As indicated by Lyle, we will proceed with the election if we still have more than 3 CFC members from Quebec wishing to run at the end of day on June 19.

I would invite all 5 gentlemen to drop us a greeting prior to the nominations closing.
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 06-17-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Should Berube's expiry read "2014" rather than "2004" ?

Blog Entries

It was correct at the time, of the submission from the FQE. He was getting his CFC membership last week, so as to be eligible.

Update: Michael has confirmed that Richard has joined the CFC.
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 06-17-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: New information

Blog Entries

I have been sent the following mini-bio's to post.

Marc Poulin
    Profession : Sobey’s CEO, Board member of Empire Holdings Investment Group
    Chess/FQE : Past President of the FQE, currently regional rep. (Montreal).
    Some achievements : CFC-FQE 3 years agreement, Montreal Inter-Collegiate league, Équipe-Québec
    Sponsorship found : $150,000 over 3 years for different events.

Richard Bérubé
    Profession : Business manager of the FQE since 1995 (with the exception of 2003-06).
    Some achievements : Organized more than 100 tournaments, including 3 Canadian Opens and 13 Quebec Opens. Founded the Magazine Échec au Roi (Chess & Math). Put in place a FIDE Arbiter seminar.
    Player : Fide master, Vice-Champion of Quebec 1991. Trainer of the Canadian team for the WYCC on 7 occasions (during 1991-2003 years). Trainer of Pascal Charbonneau for 10 years, now a GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    If an election is required it will take place on days 4 and 5 (June 21st)
    Lyle, given that there will definitely be an election, can you outline the format? Will the existing governors be voting for one candidate each, or will they vote for their preferred three?

Blog Entries

I'll officially nominate Hugh Brodie.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    Lyle, given that there will definitely be an election, can you outline the format? Will the existing governors be voting for one candidate each, or will they vote for their preferred three?
    In these sort of situations you will be able to vote for as many as three of the candidates.

Blog Entries

Felix Dumont

I have been involved in many chess events and projects in the past years, and I hope to stay as a CFC governor to strengthen the FQE-CFC relationship and continue offering more services to CFC members. Over the past years, I organised many tournaments : the McGill Open, the CUCC, the Men's zonal, the Women's closed... As a CFC governor, I talked with many elite players outside of Quebec and was in charge of inviting young hopes to the Quebec Open, which I helped organizing. Thanks to that and the good CFC-FQE relationship, many young Canadian hopes will have great norm chances : Hambleton, Wang, Preotu, Song, Cao...

We have very exciting plans for the future, including one international tournament and a few impressive national tournaments that will be organized thanks to generous sponsors.

I also recently created the CFC Newsfeed with John Upper and so far the results are greatly encouraging ( some articles were as popular as the webzine itself, showing that many non CFC members probably read the news.)

In Quebec, most of my time is spent on promoting chess among young players. I believe the experience I acquired by launching Team-Quebec, an incredible opportunity for youngsters, could become handy if the CFC decides to make some changes to it's youth program (like creating a nation-wide coaching program).

As you can notice, I do all what is in my power to promote chess in Canada, even if it implies to change some old habits. However, I'll be the first to give my time for promising projects, so don't expect my participation to stop after a simple vote. I won't criticize something I am not willing myself to put time in.

Finally, I must say that the CFC couldn't have better candidates than Richard and Marc. Richard is without any doubt the most experienced organizer in Canada and has access to lots of resources as the executive director of he FQE. Marc is also clearly an asset for possible sponsors. I've worked with both of them very often in the past, and I hope to continue to do so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast