Thread: 1. Agenda and Opening Comments by the Chair

Default 1. Agenda and Opening Comments by the Chair

Chess Federation of Canada - Annual General Meeting - 17 - 30 June 2013

(Note to Governors: all votes open at 9pm ET, all votes and nominations close at 6pm ET, the meeting ends at 10pm ET on June 30th)

Part 1 - Agenda and Sign-in

1. Agenda & Opening Comments of Chair
    2. Governor Sign-in

Part 2 - Election of Governors from Non-Affiliated Provinces / Territories (This section of the meeting is now closed - please see announcements for details)

3. Election of Governors from Non-Affiliated Provinces/Territories (nominations close on day 3, if elections are required this will take place on days 4-5)

3A. YT
    3B. QC - Ratification of FQE nominees for CFC Governor (if no objections are posted to any FQE nomination these will be acclaimed at the end of the nomination period)
    3C. SK (as the Saskatchewan Chess Association has ceased operation)

4. Nomination of Candidates for Election (nominations close at 6pm ET June 22 - day 6, elections continue through 6pm ET June 25 - day 9)

(nominations for all positions in 4.1 - 6.4 are now closed)

* 4.1 President
    * 4.2 Vice-President
    4.3 Secretary
    4.4 Treasurer
    * 4.5 Youth Coordinator
    4.6 FIDE Representative
    4.7 Women Coordinator
    4.8 Rating Auditor
    4.9 Publicity Officer
    4.10 Fund Raising Officer
    4.11 Tournament Coordinator

5. Elections of the above positions (This section of the meeting is now closed - please see announcements for details)
    5. Election of Executive and Officers
    6. Appointment of CFC Committee members: (nominations close at 6pm ET June 22 - day 6, elections for contested positions continue through 6pm ET June 25 - day 9)

* 6.1 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees - Four year term:

6.2 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees - One year term:

* 6.3 Kalev Pugi Fund Committee:

* 6.4 National Appeals Committee:

7. Election of CFC Committee members (see sections 4.1 - 4.11 - in sections 4.1 - 6.4 all positions where an election is being held is marked with *)

The above items are now closed - please refer to meeting announcements for details

8. Appointment of Auditors - discussion

Voting on all items excluding Governors, Executive and Officers will begin on day 10 (June 26) and continue to the end of the meeting (June 30)

9. Bids for 2014 Events

9A 2014 Canadian Open

9B 2014 CYCC

9C Any other Bids/Business:
    - 9C1 Next Canadian Junior
    - 9C2 Next Canadian Women's Closed

10. Motions (including all motions being voted on at this meeting)

10A. Motion: Timing of CFC AGMs (Mallon / Best)
    10B. Motion: CYCC Free Entries (Dumont / Porper) Being broken into two parts
    10C. / 10D. Motions: National Youth Coach Position
    10E. Motion: CYCC Tiebreak Systems (Dénommée / Craver)
    10F. Motion: Extend Foundation Trustee, Micah Hughey to 2015 (Craver / LeBlanc)

11. Other Business

11A. Bids for National Championships 2014/15 and onward
    11B. 2013/2014 Budget Discussion
    11C. Insurance Proposal (to be attached)
    11D. NFP Act / CFC Constitution Discussion
    11E. RCAAA Application Discussion

12. Adjournment & Closing Comments by Chair
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 06-24-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: 10F

Default Report from the President - Monday, June 17, 2013 - Annual General Meeting

Report from the President - Monday, June 17, 2013 - Annual General Meeting

The last fiscal year of the Chess Federation has resulted in some major changes and adjustments in the last 12 months.

I was thrust into the Presidency position back in February when Michael von Keitz stepped down, and we had to handle 3 major RFPs.

The 7-man Executive team that was elected at the last AGM has seen 2 resignations (our previous President - Michael von Keitz, who stepped down from the Executive to head up the "Executive Director" paid managerial position. Further Bob Gillanders (the past President) has also stepped down. Patrick McDonald, our Junior Coordinator has also indicated that he will not be running again, and I have decided to move on to the "Past President" position on the Executive. This means that the executive will see some "fresh blood" for the next fiscal.

I welcome you to this Annual General Meeting and encourage you to take an active part in the process of discussing and selecting people to help our chess future in Canada.

I will copy my previous report from the April meeting, since some seem to have missed it:

As you acting President since February of this year, I have worked on 3 committees to achieve the hiring of a new bookseller, a new Executive Director and a new CCN Editor.

It has been an extremely busy period for your CFC Executive Board.

As most of you are aware by now, our previous president Michael von Keitz resigned in February and I took over the job on an interim basis until the next AGM.

We currently have an Executive of the 5 remaining members and I have been working very closely with Fred McKim, Hal Bond, Lyle Craver and Patrick McDonald.

The CFC recently handled 3 RFPS in March and we have had some very successful arrangements come out of these RFPs.

1. CFC Executive Director appointed

Michael Von Keitz was the unanimous selection of the Executive Director selection committee. He assumes his duties on May 1. The Executive members on the committee offered to abstain on the final vote, but the result would have been exactly the same. The Committee consisted of Govenors Hal Bond, Vlad Drkulec, Felix Dumont, Mark Dutton, and Paul LeBlanc. I acted as non-voting facilitator.

There were four other bids considered. The Committee was pleased with the quality of all bids submitted and while each could have been acceptable, feel confident they've selected the strongest applicant. In keeping with common business practice they will not be revealing the names of the other applicants.

2. CCN Editor Appointed

John Upper has been appointed the newest editor of Canadian Chess News. John will commence his responsibilities on May 1, 2013, preparing for the June newsletter and also providing a daily newsfeed on the CFC website. The CFC Newsletter Editor Selection Committee consisted of Governors: Mark Dutton, Ken Einarsson, and David Steer. The final round vote was a unanimous decision. There were 4 other bids submitted.

3. CFC Book & Equipment Supplier announced

The Selection Committee for the Book&Equipment Contract received a single application. They gave their unanimous recommendation for CMA to become the "Official CFC Supplier of Chess Books & Equipment" to the Executive, who ratified the contract. The following CFC Governors were on the committee: Bob Armstrong, Hal Bond, and Mark Dutton. I acted as non-voting facilitator.

The CFC will receive $8,000 per year for this deal, and takes us out of the sales business for the extent of the three year contract. This contract will allow the Executive Director to spend more time administrating and updating the Web Site. The contract will begin on May 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since our last online meeting in April, there seems to be some discussion in an effort to delay this meeting.

This is NOT my preferred option as this will force the meeting into our busiest chess playing days (July).

I have polled the Exec on this matter and we may postpone (in the spirit of compromise) for one week with no voting on financial issues until the 26th of June.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So with the above appointments - all effective May 1, 2013 we are 30 days away from a new "team" moving forward into our next fiscal year 2013-2014.

As our year end is coming up - we will need to get the Financial Statements prepared for our next AGM.

Hal Bond and I were presenting a motion (which has been withdrawn) about setting an earlier AGM.

For this year only I am asking that we move the meeting date for the online AGM to run from Monday, June 17 to Sunday, June 30, 2013

If we require the additional 7 days (that is allowed for AGMs) we would be finished by the 23rd of June.

I see that our Foundation under Paul Leblanc's excellent management will be OK with this and I have already requested that our new Executive Director have financial statements for year end review by May 14th.

Hope my suggested dates work for all Governors. If I don't hear any major objections, we can proceed with that timing. This would also be a good time to consider the "make-up" of the next Executive as we have lost Michael, Bob and we have already heard that Patrick McDonald will not be returning as Youth Coordinator. Lots to think about -- interested in serving the Executive and our membership -- then this is a good time to consider running and developing a platform for the "election".
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a personal level, I began playing chess in CFC-rated tournaments more than 40 years ago. I have been an active member of chess "politics" and leadership at the club level (Toronto Chess Club, Scarborough Chess Club and the Dutton Chess Club on Bayview); as well as serving the GTCL; the OCA, the BCCF and the CFC as a governor for 30 of those years, the last half dozen of which have been on the Executive. I appreciate the letters and messages of support I have received and continue to receive. That being said, I would like to leave the political side of things and step down from that portion and focus on playing a little more chess. I know that a number of us in chess "wear many hats" including player, organizer, tournament director, league official, provincial director and even that of CFC governor. I have enjoyed the ride and now look forward to handing the ball over to some newer, fresher executives to assume the running of our national organization, the Chess Federation of Canada.

Mark S. Dutton, I.A., I.O.
    President
    Chess Federation of Canada

Blog Entries

If the SCA has de-affilliated themselves, I believe that means we have to vote in a governor for SK?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    If the SCA has de-affilliated themselves, I believe that means we have to vote in a governor for SK?
    Yes. I was talking to David Steer, and I think he stepped forward after finding no one else was interested, but that should be added to the Incoming meeting.

Blog Entries

As a suggestion, nothing specifically says a Governor has to reside in the area they represent (Kai Gauer represented NWT for a few years while living in Ontario).

Rather than leaving the spot vacant, if the Exec feels that the runner-up in the Quebec elections would be a valuable contributor to have around, they could give them the Governor spot for Yukon.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

I thought that was a good idea, too.

Blog Entries

Still I think such governor should at least have ties to the province/ territory such as: family ties, work related ties, etc. I am not sure how someone completely new (never been there) could act as representative for a specific geographical area!?...
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

It should be noted that the CFC currently has 1 member in the Yukon and none in the NWT or Nunavut so the point is largely moot.

I would not favor using any of these to appoint a non-resident though we previously did have a Governor from one of the territories who was attending university "south of 60" a few years back.

To me the whole point of being a Governor is that you are someone your province's members can turn to in case of need or to advance proposals from the membership. I've been asked to do so a number of times and I'm sure I'm far from the only one!

Since this thread is the meeting agenda and the threads in the meeting are going beyond 1 screen page, I have "stuck" this thread to insure it stays in view of all Governors