Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5. Executive Reports and Reports of non-Executive Officers

Default 5. Executive Reports and Reports of non-Executive Officers

Please post your reports here.

Governors please note that the Treasurer and the Chess Foundation have published their FINANCIAL reports in the Governors' Forum already - these are linked in the agenda for your convenience.
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 06-18-2013 at 12:58 PM.

CFC Youth Co-ordinator’s report – 2012-2013

This has been another successful year in youth chess at the CFC level.
    We had 27 players spread throughout the 12 age/gender categories with representation in all sections.
    Our IM Richard Wang pulled off a 3rd place finish in the Under 14 Open section!
    Harmony Zhu is getting a good start in the WYCC with an 8th place finish in the Under 8 girls section.
    Organizing the team that goes to the WYCC is always a substantial task and without the help of then president Michael von Keitz and the Head of Delegation for the WYCC – Andrew Giblon, I don’t know what I would have done.
    It looks like we are heading for a very successful CYCC in Ottawa this year as the organizers this year look like they have everything well in hand.
    Personally, I have changed my position at my “day job” during the year and it is a fair bit more demanding of my time and so I will be unable to seek re-election for the post of Youth Coordinator this coming year.
    It has been a great time being involved in youth chess at this level with a lot of eye-opening experience. I will be continuing to support youth chess both locally and at the provincial level.
    Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive.
    Patrick McDonald
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 06-12-2013 at 08:16 AM.
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

Lightbulb Report from the President - Monday, June 10, 2013 - Annual General Meeting

The last fiscal year of the Chess Federation has resulted in some major changes and adjustments in the last 12 months.

I was thrust into the Presidency position back in February when Michael von Keitz stepped down, and we had to handle 3 major RFPs.

The 7-man Executive team that was elected at the last AGM has seen 2 resignations (our previous President - Michael von Keitz, who stepped down from the Executive to head up the "Executive Director" paid managerial position. Further Bob Gillanders (the past President) has also stepped down. Patrick McDonald, our Junior Coordinator has also indicated that he will not be running again, and I have decided to move on to the "Past President" position on the Executive. This means that the executive will see some "fresh blood" for the next fiscal.

I welcome you to this Annual General Meeting and encourage you to take an active part in the process of discussing and selecting people to help our chess future in Canada.

I will copy my previous report from the April meeting, since some seem to have missed it:

As you acting President since February of this year, I have worked on 3 committees to achieve the hiring of a new bookseller, a new Executive Director and a new CCN Editor.

It has been an extremely busy period for your CFC Executive Board.

As most of you are aware by now, our previous president Michael von Keitz resigned in February and I took over the job on an interim basis until the next AGM.

We currently have an Executive of the 5 remaining members and I have been working very closely with Fred McKim, Hal Bond, Lyle Craver and Patrick McDonald.

The CFC recently handled 3 RFPS in March and we have had some very successful arrangements come out of these RFPs.

1. CFC Executive Director appointed

Michael Von Keitz was the unanimous selection of the Executive Director selection committee. He assumes his duties on May 1. The Executive members on the committee offered to abstain on the final vote, but the result would have been exactly the same. The Committee consisted of Govenors Hal Bond, Vlad Drkulec, Felix Dumont, Mark Dutton, and Paul LeBlanc. I acted as non-voting facilitator.

There were four other bids considered. The Committee was pleased with the quality of all bids submitted and while each could have been acceptable, feel confident they've selected the strongest applicant. In keeping with common business practice they will not be revealing the names of the other applicants.

2. CCN Editor Appointed

John Upper has been appointed the newest editor of Canadian Chess News. John will commence his responsibilities on May 1, 2013, preparing for the June newsletter and also providing a daily newsfeed on the CFC website. The CFC Newsletter Editor Selection Committee consisted of Governors: Mark Dutton, Ken Einarsson, and David Steer. The final round vote was a unanimous decision. There were 4 other bids submitted.

3. CFC Book & Equipment Supplier announced

The Selection Committee for the Book&Equipment Contract received a single application. They gave their unanimous recommendation for CMA to become the "Official CFC Supplier of Chess Books & Equipment" to the Executive, who ratified the contract. The following CFC Governors were on the committee: Bob Armstrong, Hal Bond, and Mark Dutton. I acted as non-voting facilitator.

The CFC will receive $8,000 per year for this deal, and takes us out of the sales business for the extent of the three year contract. This contract will allow the Executive Director to spend more time administrating and updating the Web Site. The contract will begin on May 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since our last online meeting in April, there seems to be some discussion in an effort to delay this meeting.

This is NOT my preferred option as this will force the meeting into our busiest chess playing days (July).

I have polled the Exec on this matter and we may postpone (in the spirit of compromise) for one week with no voting on financial issues until the 26th of June.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So with the above appointments - all effective May 1, 2013 we are 30 days away from a new "team" moving forward into our next fiscal year 2013-2014.

As our year end is coming up - we will need to get the Financial Statements prepared for our next AGM.

Hal Bond and I were presenting a motion (which has been withdrawn) about setting an earlier AGM.

For this year only I am asking that we move the meeting date for the online AGM to run from Monday, June 10 to Sunday, June 16, 2013

If we require the additional 7 days (that is allowed for AGMs) we would be finished by the 23rd of June.

I see that our Foundation under Paul Leblanc's excellent management will be OK with this and I have already requested that our new Executive Director have financial statements for year end review by May 14th.

Hope my suggested dates work for all Governors. If I don't hear any major objections, we can proceed with that timing. This would also be a good time to consider the "make-up" of the next Executive as we have lost Michael, Bob and we have already heard that Patrick McDonald will not be returning as Youth Coordinator. Lots to think about -- interested in serving the Executive and our membership -- then this is a good time to consider running and developing a platform for the "election".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a personal level, I began playing chess in CFC-rated tournaments more than 40 years ago. I have been an active member of chess "politics" and leadership at the club level (Toronto Chess Club, Scarborough Chess Club and the Dutton Chess Club on Bayview); as well as serving the GTCL; the OCA, the BCCF and the CFC as a governor for 30 of those years, the last half dozen of which have been on the Executive. I appreciate the letters and messages of support I have received and continue to receive. That being said, I would like to leave the political side of things and step down from that portion and focus on playing a little more chess. I know that a number of us in chess "wear many hats" including player, organizer, tournament director, league official, provincial director and even that of CFC governor. I have enjoyed the ride and now look forward to handing the ball over to some newer, fresher executives to assume the running of our national organization, the Chess Federation of Canada.

Mark S. Dutton, I.A., I.O.
    President
    Chess Federation of Canada

Attachment 207

Blog Entries

Public Relations Coordinator Report ( Non-Executive Officer ) - Bob Armstrong

Bylaw 3 of the CFC Handbook, under Duties of Officers in Section 8C, gives the mandate of the Public Relations Coordinator position ( created at the 2010 AGM ) as:

“ 8C. The Public Relations Coordinator will be responsible for promoting the image of the CFC and for promoting chess generally to the public. As such the Public Relations Coordinator will, among other things:

- deal with mainstream media to promote significant chess news, such as Canadian Chess Champions, a new Canadian GM, major tournaments like the Can. Closed, Canadian Open, Can. Women’s Closed, CYCC, etc., the various benefits accruing from playing chess and other positive aspects of the chess culture. “

Here is the update on activity since the 2013 Spring Meeting ( April/13 ):

1. “ News “ Items ( on the CFC Website Homepage under “ Latest News “[copies on the CFC “ News “ Discussion Forum, Facebook, and Twitter ] ) – Posted 27 news items ( from April 1 to and including mid-May/13, when the CFC website “on-line newsfeed” replaced the “Latest News” column) – average of more than 4 news posts per week; this is the same rate as for the Jan. - April/13 period.

2. “News Items” (on the CFC Facebook Page, and the CFC “News” Forum) – from mid-May to and including June 14 – posted 14 news items – slightly less than 4 posts/per week. [ Note: at the moment, the PRC postings are entirely separate from the website and the new on-line newsfeed, though we are all keeping up on what the other is doing. We are monitoring how this is working – it is my opinion that these things can all co-exist. There is some modest duplication sometimes, but the duplications are significantly different since my posts are just very short news “blurbs”, while the on-line newsfeed coverage of the same item is much more detailed. So I don’t seem them as “interfering” with each other] .

3. Press Releases: none issued – there are generally not many chess items that the mainstream media may consider “news”. So it is not uncommon to have a quarter with no press release.

4. Media Contacts: none this past 3 months

5. Discussion Boards: posted number of times on the members’ CFC Chess Chat Forum, and the CMA Chesstalk, answering CFC issues raised.

6. New Media Links: I have been provided by members with media links across the country, and am slowly integrating them into the CFC Media E-mail Groups as time permits.

7. CFC Facebook Non-Profit Corporation Page: have continued incremental building of the site - grew from 214 “Likes” for the page on April 1, to 237 by June 11 or 23 new “Likes” in 6 weeks (had 43 new “ Likes “ from Dec. 31/12 to March 31/13 – 12 weeks). So the rate of growth continues at the same rate – modest but steady. It seems more Facebooker’s are finding our CFC FB page. The majority of “ Likes “ are not CFC tournament players, and many are not CFC members. We are reaching out in the social media to the non-CFC chess-playing public. We also have some players from other countries as “ Likes “, who now follow Canadian chess.
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 06-12-2013 at 08:19 AM.

FIDE Report – June AGM, 2013
    This past year has had its challenges and rewards. I will stand for re-election as Canada’s Zone President and FIDE Delegate.

Following the Congress at the Istanbul Olympiad in September, I had the honour of returning to Siberia as Chief Arbiter for the Women’s World Championship tournament. During this period I had the opportunity to meet several times with members of the Presidential Board, including CEO Geoffrey Borg and the President of the Americas, Jorge Vega.

Last month the Development Commission held its annual meeting during the Zonal Championship of “Oceania” (Zone 3.6) in Fiji. Their Zone includes Australia, New Zealand,(both of whom still print a magazine) Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Palau. I was struck by the professionalism of the organizer Dr. Virgillio De Asa, a practicing physician and Federation President/Delegate. He has identified some potential successors, the brightest of whom has just taken a job in Australia – also as a doctor. So we are not alone in our quest for willing and able people to serve our Federation. Their tournament was very well run – men and women at the same time – with about 40 players all told.

On the domestic front, the changes on the executive and the three RFPs have proven quite time consuming. I served on two of the RFP committees – namely for the office manager and for the merchandising contracts. I would like to thank Fred McKim for his leadership and facilitation with these decisions.

The NAYCC will be organized by the Chess n’ Math Association from August 15-18 in Toronto. This year is Canada’s turn, so thanks are in order to Larry Bevand and Francis Rodrigues for their ongoing effort to make the event a huge success.

Titles and transfers:

In order to lighten the office load, I took over this administrative task when I became FIDE Rep. Several IO titles were awarded at the Istanbul Congress but relatively few player titles were processed this past year. Eric Hansen earned his GM title, Aman Hambleton earned the IM title as did Shiyam Thavandiran, conditional on his FIDE rating reaching 2400. The player transfer for Vietnamese youth player An Nguyen was processed in September of last year in order for her to participate in the 2012 WYCC.

FIDE Licensed Arbiters

As reported in January, FIDE has implemented a licensing system for Arbiters. Any FIDE rated tournament requires a licensed Arbiter: NA, FA or IA. If norms are possible in a tournament then the Chief Arbiter requires the IA or FA title. FIDE is creating ID cards for licenced Arbiters and they are gradually being distributed. Canada’s growing list of licenced Arbiters now stands at 30:
    CAN Amesse, Louis‐Philippe NA
    CAN Ber, Alexandre NA
    CAN Berube, Richard NA
    CAN 2601699 Bond, Hal IA A
    CAN Boron, Tony NA
    CAN Boucher, Alain NA
    CAN 2616785 Boutin, Jean‐Roger NA
    CAN Campos, Eugenio Alonso NA
    CAN 2601648 Daniluk, Jim NA
    CAN 2611031 Denommee, Pierre IA D
    CAN Desjardins, Raymond NA
    CAN Dumont, Felix NA
    CAN 2611040 Dutton, Mark S. IA D
    CAN 2606763 Ferreira, Alex NA
    CAN 2602237 Goldenberg, Danny FA D
    CAN Langer, Herb NA
    CAN Laurin, Marcel NA
    CAN Le Duin, Thierry NA
    CAN 2611058 Marghetis, Aris IA D
    CAN 2611082 McDonald, Patrick IA D
    CAN 2615371 Ouimet, Bernard NA
    CAN 2603136 Palsson, Halldor‐Peter NA
    CAN Porper, Edward NA
    CAN 2613930 Preotu, Rene FA D
    CAN Razzaq, Ali FA D
    CAN 2606232 Rekhson, Vlad IA D
    CAN 2617781 Tariq, Atheer Jawad NA
    CAN Wang, Harris NA
    CAN 2602369 Wright, Stephen FA D
    CAN Zeggelaar, Mike NA

Looking Ahead:

The next FIDE Congress shall be for the Executive Board, now scheduled for Tallinn, Estonia from September 30 - October 10. Although previous attempts to implement more stringent player registration procedures have been rejected by the General Assembly, it grows increasingly clear that something must be done to deal with duplicate player IDS and crosstable errors involving players with same or similar names.

The 2014 Olympiad will also host the General Assembly and the Presidential elections. It appears that Ilyumzhinov will stand for re-election his opponent(s), if any, are as yet undeclared. Of course our domestic challenge will be to fund our Olympic Delegation in 2014. I look forward to the Fundraising Director’s report and I will help any way that I can.

Respectfully Submitted
    Hal Bond IA, IO
    FIDE Zone 2.2 President and Delegate, Canada

Past Presidents Report (well, most of the year)

Saskatchewan
    There is one significant number on the financials which I hope we do not gloss over.
    It is the Donations revenue of $ 5,506.50.
    But, as I understand it, this is not really good news.
    In April, the CFC received a cheque for $ 5,300 from the Saskatchewan Chess Association. They have closed up operations and donated their bank balance to the CFC. Additionally, $ 206.50 that was owing to the SCA was written off to donations.

This means the CFC has no presence in Saskatchewan, and the local organizers see little hope to revive CFC events there. I think we should pause for a moment, and question whether we should be so quick to accept this donation into general revenues.

I would like to see this money used to generate chess activity in Saskatchewan. Find somebody in Saskatchewan who could use the money to hopefully regenerate CFC activity there. But first, I would love to hear from our Governor from Saskatchewan. Can he shed any more light on the situation, do I have my facts correct?

New Regulations governing not for profit organizations

I don't see anything on the agenda regarding our efforts to comply with the new regulations coming into effect next year.
    Will we be seeing a report from the committee? The clock is ticking!
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 06-17-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Past Presidents Report (well, most of the year)

Saskatchewan
    There is one significant number on the financials which I hope we do not gloss over.
    It is the Donations revenue of $ 5,506.50.
    But, as I understand it, this is not really good news.
    In April, the CFC received a cheque for $ 5,300 from the Saskatchewan Chess Association. They have closed up operations and donated their bank balance to the CFC. Additionally, $ 206.50 that was owing to the SCA was written off to donations.

This means the CFC has no presence in Saskatchewan, and the local organizers see little hope to revive CFC events there. I think we should pause for a moment, and question whether we should be so quick to accept this donation into general revenues.

I would like to see this money used to generate chess activity in Saskatchewan. Find somebody in Saskatchewan who could use the money to hopefully regenerate CFC activity there. But first, I would love to hear from our Governor from Saskatchewan. Can he shed any more light on the situation, do I have my facts correct?

New Regulations governing not for profit organizations

I don't see anything on the agenda regarding our efforts to comply with the new regulations coming into effect next year.
    Will we be seeing a report from the committee? The clock is ticking!
    I am going to add "Saskatchewan Donation" here on Outgoing Business and we are planning to post something shortly on the Incoming board regarding the NFP Act and Constitutional changes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post

This is NOT my preferred option as this will force the meeting into our busiest chess playing days (July).

Hope my suggested dates work for all Governors. If I don't hear any major objections, we can proceed with that timing.
    #1, I still dislike having all the reports in one thread, as it's too easy for different conversations to get lost in the clutter.

In any case, the CFC AGM has been held in July pretty much always as far as I know, and the main complaints were the distance to travel to attend one, not the business of the month of July.

Lastly, I would have thought that "this meeting will technically be illegal" would have been considered a fairly "Major Objection" ... I guess not.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

The Sask. donation should go to the Chess Foundation of Canada, lest it get lost in CFC general revenue and expenses
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Tournament Coordinator report ( Non-Executive Officer ) - Pierre Dénommée

I have given to the Assembly of Governors the list of all changes required to the Canadian Zonal.

I have translated the new FIDE Laws of Chess, but FIDE has decided to delay the application until July 1st 2014. I was told that there will be few changes, so most of this work is not lost.

FIDE title and FIDE rating rules will change as scheduled on July 1st 2013.

On July 1st 2012, FIDE enacted new tiebreak rules. The most important change is the adjustment that is to be made in case of a forfeit win or a forfeit loss.

FIDE has made fundamental changes to the title by registration rules. Consequently, the next Zonal will likely produce les FM and IM. The current rules are that one player with a score of at least 2/3 can receive the IM title and two players with a score of at least 50% can receive the FM title. With the new rules, the Zonal as been renamed a sub Continental. The IM title is offered only to the first three players. There is a possibility for three IM but this is extremely unlikely with the actual number of GM and IM in Canada. If the first three players of the Zonal are either GM or IM, Canada will get no IM title. The FM title now requires a 65% score and a minimum of 9 games but there is no longer any limit on the number of FM that can be achieved in the Zonal. Although there is no limit, it is quite obvious that there will be less FM with the new rules.

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...5&view=article

I do support the Canadian League Championship but the responsibility for this project rest with the Canadian League Commissioner.

The next Canadian Championship should not be a Zonal. For the next year, complying with FIDE rules will be my priority if you elect me. Bidders for the next Zonal should be aware that FIDE now prefers that both men and women compete simultaneously in a Zonal. The Zone President could probably get us an exemption.

Apart from my official functions, I have done some testing on an online LTD test and the results are satisfactory. It can be done if the CFC authorizes it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast