Thread: 2. Opening Comments by Chair

Default 2. Opening Comments by Chair

This space is reserved for comments by the meeting chair

Thumbs up A message of welcome from your acting President

I welcome you to this Annual General Meeting and encourage you to take an active part in the process of discussing and selecting people to help our chess future in Canada.

The 7-man Executive team that was elected at the last AGM has seen 2 resignations in the last fiscal year (our previous President - Michael von Keitz, who stepped down from the Executive to head up the "Executive Director" paid managerial position. Further Bob Gillanders (the past President) has also stepped down. Patrick McDonald, our Junior Coordinator has also indicated that he will not be running again, and I have decided to move on to the "Past President" position on the Executive. This means that the executive will see some "fresh blood" for the next fiscal. We have made a number of changes over the last 12 months and encourage your active role as a governor in helping us with our mandate "to promote and encourage the knowledge, study and play of the game of chess in Canada. The CFC is the governing body for chess in Canada and is affiliated with the World Chess Federation (FIDE)."

The CFC organizes National Championships (Canadian Closed, Canadian Womenʼs Closed, Canadian Junior and Canadian Youth Chess Championships) and raises funds for the winners to go on to the respective World Championships. In addition, the CFC has sent a team to FIDE's Chess Olympiad each time it has been held (every second year) since 1964.

I hope you have an excellent meeting and wish everyone good chess!

Mark S. Dutton, I.A., I.O.,
    President, CFC

Mark
    Thanks for stepping up to fill the vacant chair.
    Regards,
    Gordon Ritchie